“A really nice vacation”

El Mouradi Djerba Menzel
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Midoun
Reviewed 8 September 2008

Well, first of all I really want to tell everyone who's even thinking about going to Tunisia to go with an open mind. I've been in Tunisia three times, I just love it!

I've been staying at El Mouradi Djerba Menzel two times, and I would definitely go back!

Before I went there the first time I actually read all reviews of the hotel at this site, and I really got scared. The first thing I did on arrival was starting to look for bad things such as dirty matresses etc. And well, we really had bad luck and we got a terrible room at first.

When we woke up the second day we went to the reception and told them all about what we thought of the room, and they were so friendly! We immediately got another room, a bigger one, and it was all we could dream of. It was maybe not a palace, but it was clean and big.

Maybe I should try to mention something else than the rooms. The pool areas were wonderful! We were always laying by the "big" one, but I must say that we had to get up rather early to get sunbeds up there (07.00 am). But we took turns, so some of us could sleep longer.

The staff is so unbelievable friendly! To be honest, they're not especially good at English, but just try to be positive and laugh a lot, then things will work out. I speak some Italian, so it was a bit easier for me.

Well, I could go on and on and on, but I guess I have to mention something I didn't like as well. The food was not that extraordinary. But remember that they try to please all the tourists, that's why they mainly serve dishes including pasta/rice/chicken etc. But every night they also serve one or two typical Tunisian dishes, don't forget them, they are delicious!

I guess I don't have that more to say accept; go there! But with an open mind. I'm sure that you'll have a wonderful vacation!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
4  Thank MikaelaP
There are newer reviews for El Mouradi Djerba Menzel

Reviewed 20 August 2008

We've just come back from one-week holiday.

Food: was average, nothing special, drinks (juices and 1 kind of beer) available all the time at few location.
Pools: great ! Just be aware that you need to go and reserve your spot early in the morning (by 8.00), otherwise you might stay without a sunbed. You can get beach towels there.
Beach: dissapointing; lots of grass, bad smell..
Beach bars: do not be suppries about speed of some stuff; they will take their time. You better not see how they wash the glasses there, but if you do, you won't wonder later how you end up sitting on the toillets more then is necessery.
Rooms: nice, big enough
Cleanliness: rooms was cleaned ok (just do not forget to tip).Towels has also stinky smell, so I suggest you bring some of your own with you.
There was a bad smell over the halls of hotel from time to time.
Staff: mostly friendly
Evenings: not much to do; there is a mini club for kids every night (same songs all over again), and then some kind of show. You can go to disco, but you need to pay..

Things to do:
Crocodile farm - taxi costs 2TD in each way, and addmisson 12TD/person
Midoun - taxi costs 4TD in each way
Houmt Souk - taxi costs 10 TD in each way
Riding a camel or horse - sigh in a hotel, lasts 2 hours, costs only 20TD
Don't miss ride with quad bike - 1,5 hours cost only 50TD for two on a one bike; or 40TD for one
Go to tour all over the island - some of the taxi drivers can take you to it for 30TD

All in all - do not expect much for 4* and you will go along just fine, dont bother with small things - you are on vacation, after all.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nikoleta27
Reviewed 4 August 2008

el mouradi djerba menzel stayed at this hotel for 1 week in feb 07 myself and partner who is tunisian. we really enjoyed it and was real value for the money we paid.

the room was off the main building and was very large and clean. the staff were all very nice . food good for tunisian standard everything was perfect.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amorae
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Read my review it is most helpfull for 2008 summer year really!

I will say the hotel is 4* star hotel 100%. It has nice big pool and 2(or 3) smaller ones. Hotel is situated right on the beach but it depends what room you will have and some of them are far from the beach and restaurant so you must have luck or you must know someone in agency (my was in D block bungalowes and it was the best one I think). Ok let's start about drinks (you have whiskey,gin,vodka,coca cola,sprite, fanta,ananas juice(not good juices), orange juice.., cocktails(but only some days). I would say they have good drinks till 24:00. 1 bar( with no alcohol drinks on the beach 1 bar for kids (no alcohol) near the pool and 1 bar inside the hotel till 24:00 for adults and 1 american bar (where drinks are served) upstairs for adults. They have 2 more bars I think but they are for payment. Ok let's go on with food. Food was not so good but lets say not so bad even.
They have a lot of meat and sometimes good fish but they all taste the same with some tunisian ingridients ... You can find somethinhg you like 100%. Deserts and fruits are good but salads are bad. Breakfast (hard cooked eggs, 2 mins eggs, eggs, marmelade (orange marmelade,....),butter, french (how to say french bread that goes with coffee),...same all the time.
You have a choice downstairs with a la carte italian restaurant which you must reserve till 15:00 at the reception every day for free and it is open from 19:00 - 22:00 I think. You have lasagne, better pizza's (4 saisons, vegetarian,..) than near the pool at 22:30 -> but pizza's in tunisia are all bad , beef with mouscat nuts and rice, fish, spaghetti fruit de mar(good one) and deserts(tiramisu, some creme desert vanilia, mixed fruits).
Go on with staff: Staff in hotel is very hard working they have maintenance, lifeguard, pool boys(to bring you sunbeds and so on), really good and nice waiters, reception is friendly, the gardeners work all the time providing us with nice environment,.. really nothing to say with the leadership of stuff.
Ok now let's say some bad stuff (which you get used to it and are not such a pain in the neck):
1. bad stuff: People have reservations on the beach and it happened to me I didn't have room on the beach on the whole beach. Was very very very angry I payed for the hotel and don't have a place to stay on the beach!
2. bad stuff: Food was bad... Pizza's are terrible :) Italian chef(tunisian) don't know how to cook anything italian really. The food is not european oriented and that is a big minus to them. No grilled meat, no sheep meat, no pommes frites no no tuna no crabs, shrimps...no nothing interesting! Really bad food.
3. bad stuff: The cleaning lady for the room was blind as we gave "Don't Disturb" sign 2 or 3 times and she jumped into the room in the meanwhile we were doing this and I heard we were not alone in this.
4. bad stuff:
The new towels they change are of some stinky smell like they haven't been washed 10 days plus they don't give you new towels till 17:00 so we had to hide one to take a bath after swimming on the beach.
5. bad stuff:
Long lines sometimes for drinks as hotel is very big.
6. bad stuff:
We were not very pleased with animation team(they are all proffesionals) but sometimes it's better they are more amateur and more close to people to make jokes or to socialize with them and do something like throwing one tourist-guest in the pool with clothes on :) Plus everything was good till they ask you "please one aplause" I will give aplause myself if they were good and funny not that someone force me to aplause them. Really boring.
7. bad stuff:
The sunbeds on the beach are made of plastic so for some 100kg people not good.
8. bad stuff:
YOU CAN't SWIM AT NIGHT in the pool or in the sea. Terrible.
At least in the pool would be good when they give chlor sooner so we can take a swim. They have so nice pool but no use of it.
9. bad stuff:
The discoteque is to expensive and no people inside.
10. bad stuff:
The hotel bazaar is too expensive for everything !! For instance in Midoun 10 cards were 1 td and in hotel 1 card to write someone is 1td so its very expensive. People don't be naive to pay them so much as the standards their are not like ours.
11. bad stuff:
My girl went alone for some drinks and they were like 3 of staff members already annoying to her and trying to talk her and she was very scared asked me to go with her next time as we don't like this and we love each other so don't mess with us.
12. bad stuff:
In exchange office he tried to fool me for 2Tunisian Dinars as for 20 eur I should get 36 and I got only 34. Went back and he gave me 2 dinars instantly like he knew why I was coming back.
He tried to fool me but failed!
13. bad stuff:
In a la carte restaurant we gave lot of money to one black waiter and he didn't look us (for some 6td would be very very good) but for this one was like ("yeah right") Ok we said and we took seat with next one next day and that one jumped and served us very well with flowers and everything. Some idiotic staff though exists still.

Good stuff:
1. Service and staff of the hotel is very good.
2. Beach is nice.
3. Pool is very attractive.
4. Hotel is nice and attractive.
We liked palante riva riva and guli guli dance :)

All in all it is 4star hotel and maybe if the price will be good in next years I would come back again. Maybe they will fix food and animation till than plus allow us to swim at night in the pool.

Btw. Tips: The rule is to give at least 1TD to room cleaner a day and tip some hard working people too don't be closed be open as you are on vacation and they really work hard for you to enjoy.
Taxi to Midoun 6km is Ok fair price with 4TD that is like 2,10 Eur
and 4Td back :)
In Midoun is good bazaar and prices are to bargain.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Slovenia_tourists
Reviewed 29 June 2008

Nice hotel with a friendly staff. The rooms are nice, big and clean. Nice pool area, 3 pools (2 with salt water). Wateraerobic and activities every day. Nice beach if you walk som minutes from the hotel.
I will recomend the Catamaran boat from the hotel and a quadtrip in the sand, very nice and funny!
The food was ok, but it could be better!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank anki_085
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midoun
4.3 km away
8.8 km away
SENTIDO Djerba Beach
SENTIDO Djerba Beach
#3 of 103 in Djerba Island

Been to El Mouradi Djerba Menzel? Share your experiences!