“Very pleasantly suprised. Great value for money for a week in the sun...”

El Mouradi Djerba Menzel
Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in Midoun
Reviewed 7 November 2012

We went for a 7 day all inclusive holiday staying at the El Mouardi Djerba and I have to say we were very pleasantly suprised.The Trip advisor rating alone doesnt do this place justice; have a good read and make your own mind up! I try to keep my reviews as fair and honest as possible so I will run through the pro's and cons and then do a more detailed review including hints and tips for those of you thinking of staying here for your next holiday.

Pro's:

Great staff. The barstaff (Anis in particular) and all the pool, restaurant anf reception staff very friendly. they work very long hours and I just cant fault their dedication
Great selection of fresh food each day including pasta, fish, seafood, salads, beautiful pastries and desserts and freshmade bread and pizzas (pictures to follow). You wont get burger and chips here- its not that kind of "English" resort so the reviews I've read moaning about the queue for chips (!!); if you want a "fish and chips" kinda holiday go to coast del sol or benidorm not to North Africa!
Massive pools plus long stretches of sandy beaches
2 markets nearby both of which are very cheap and easy to get to (taxi to Houmt Souk takes approx 25 mins and was £10 dinar which is about £4! Taxi to Midoun Market takes about 15 minutes and was approx 5 dinar- £2!!)
Very few Brits! To some of you this may put you off but to us it was a real breath of fresh air! This place hasnt been properly "discovered" by the British yet which is a good thing. The brits we met were very friendly though, there werent any "louts" or loudmouths, there wasnt the "british culture" you get in Spain; it felt like we were in another country which is the whole point in going abroad!!

Cons:

Rooms dated. They were clean but they could really do with new curtains and bedspreads at least. Didnt really bother us as we dont spend a lot of time in the room plus I am a strong believer in you get what you paid for- we got a cheap all inclusive holiday. If we had paid £100 each more I would've expected it to be more modern. We did notice a few of the apartment blocks had builders in refurbishing them plus the day we arrived our whole block got new mini bars so I think they are in the process of doing this.

Evening entertainment in French. Its a french resort and they cater to their core customers so its not fair too moan too much about it; Its a french speaking country so you should expect this. A lot of the entertainment is dancing though so it didnt matter; it was still fun to watch, the only thing we didnt enjoy was a comedy sketch; despite being able to translate it to my partner (just about) it wasnt funny!! English and french comedy is clearly very different...
Tips and advice!
1. If you're booking all inclusive dont pay the extra for Airport transfers. This cost us around £20 each with Thomas Cook whereas a Taxi from the airport to the hotel should cost you no more than 15 dinars (around £7) and you will get to your resort and checked in much quicker than waiting for the Thomas Cook coaches to get organized!! The taxi's are regulated by the local authorities too; I would still advise you ask them to confirm a price before you get in but because they are regulated they are very good and friendly and wont rip you off!
2. Theres more than 1 bar!!! Everyone crowds downstairs bar (where on busy nights you have to queue) whereas upstairs (across from the Restaurant Oliviers) there is a rooftop terrace bar with tables overlooking the pool/stage. This bar is table service which means no queuing (Anis and the staff are so very helpful- as soon as your drink is low he arrives with a fresh one. he remebered everyones drinks despite there being a good 30 people on the terrace- his service stood out for us and it was a highlight of the holiday). Plus the drinks are bigger and the service much better!

3. A little tip goes a long way! We tipped 15-20 dinar the first night (£8 max) and approx 10 dinar (£4) every 3-4 drinks everynight after in the rooftop terrace. Its onyl a few quid but it meant so much to Anisand the guys and we wer epsoilt after. On nights the terrace was packed Anis would move tabel around and get us a tabel in a prime spot overlooking the stage below; we were served before everyone and generally "taken care of". we did notice the only people tipping were the English (and odd German). its a few quid- when you see how hard these guys work for such long hours you'll see why its worth it!
4. Market day. If you have something long sleeved that covers your all inclusive "wrist band" then wear it! Word of warning; locals look out for tourists from certain resorts (they know all the diffrent coloured bands!) and then use this as a ploy to try and get you to go on a "guided tour" of the market (take you to friends shops which are massively overpriced). You will see these people hanging around by the taxi rank at Houmt Souk; easiest thing to do is politely decline.
5. Fixed price or haggle? Personally I didnt enjoy Houmt Souk it was so busy and crowded and the market sellers were very pushy. I would recommend going to Midoun Market rather than Houmt Souk. Its closer, it has everything Houmt Souk does but its more relaxed and it has a good selection of fixed price shops (these shops have price tages for those of you not fond of haggling!). If yuo are going to haggel please be advise yuo need to haggle hard! They always start very very high (140 dinars ended up at 20 dinars for 2 x bracelets! so from £60 to £8!). I know us British find it embarassing but you tell them the most you're willing to pay (when I went it was 2.5 dinar to the pound so easy to work out) and if they wont agree walk away; they'll either change their mind or you'll find something almost identifcal further up with a selller who will meet your price. If .
6. After hours drinking! If you want to drink after midnight The "Sunrise Bar" is exactly that; it stays open to sunrise! It is the only part of the resort which isnt included in your all inclusive package so make sure you take some cash. The drinks are similar price to back at home however they are very strong measures and it didnt take long to get a little tipsy. This bar is aimed at the younger couples. There were very few french here but a good mixture of English, Russians and Germans (the Russians and Germans were very friendly) all of whom did mingle (in fact we met some great people despite the language barrier we had a good time "chatting" to them).
7. Explore Djerba. Museum, Crocodile park and "heritage" site. If you're booking a tourist attraction; it has to be this! Its great value for money. Go in the afternoon (get there about 3:30-4pm so you can still sunbathe in morning) because the crocodiles are fed at 5PM every day.
I hope that helps guys!
I would advise that yuo have a good read through on the negative reviews and make your own mind us; some of the reviews are petty and some are just down right insulting to the staff. Its a cheap all inclusive resort. Its much better than all inclusive resorts we've been to in Turkey/Spain etc but as I said; yuo get what yuo pay for! The service is great, the food is great, the weather is great, the drinks flow- what else do you want from an all inclusive. I have to say that some people expect to get a 5 star luxury holiday on a 2 starbudget!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a cheap holiday in a hot climate (particularly outside of school holidays) who is bored with the "Brit" holidays. 7-10 days would be ideal but I wouldnt want to stay 2 weeks; as with any all incluisve there isnt much outisde the grounds so I would start to get bored by the end of the 2 weeks.

If anyone has any questions or would like to know more feel free to message me; take a look at the photo's too!
Enjoy....

Room Tip: We were in Y block ight out the back of the resort which I preferred as much quieter (you cant hear...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Nobbies23
Write a ReviewReviews (2,293)

Reviewed 31 October 2012

Please dont start me on this place ....... where to start ???
on our arrival we was greeted by warm pop and dry bread SERIOUSLY
the following day we woke up to find our bathroom was flooded from a leaking pipe under the bath,
the lights was hanging out of bathroom roof and the hairdryer socket was also pulled from the wall showing bare wires.
this was reported at 8am sun morning they finally moved us about 6pm mon night .
my main concern was NO aircon was working anywhere in the hotel. and was told by the rep (who was also as usless as the hotel ) he told me that all of tunisia turns off the aircon at this time of the year, this i know 1st hand was a lie because we have been to tunisia 5 times before,
and never had this problem . this was backed up when i foned 1 of my friends who live in tunisia
and his words was "THE REP IS TALKING OUT OF HIS HOLE", my aircon is on in my hotel on the same island ,and his room was freezing .
as i suffer really bad with asthma i was very uncomfortable at night as i could hardly breath as it was too hot ( about 37*c ) all through the night and even hotter through the day.
overall when i book a holiday that has aircon i expect it to work.

the food was .. well lets just say a man cant live on bread alone .... the food was disgusting ,
and the drinks wasnt much better admitted i was aware of the drinks having been there before,
and cant really be helped as it there only brew over there. as soon as i get chance im going back to the travel agents to sort this problem out and i WILL get a refund and hopefully get this hotel taken out of the book..... in addition to this please dont be put off by tunisia as we will book again for next year but will go back to HOTEL MAHARB in Sousse as this place is 2nd to none, good friendly staff and great food PS when i find my list i will re-post the rest of my complaints thank you x

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank steve p
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Just back from a week at this hotel. Had a delay from manchester so didnt get to the hotel till around 3am they had put out water and soft drinks and some grapes checked in quickly and we were shown to our room which was a menzel in block C 05. First impressions we thought it looked very well used and needed doing up very unusual rooms with the bathroom on the first floor then a flight of steps upto our bedroom with a door that opened and we had the most amazing view right on the beach we could hear the sea as we lay in bed this made up for the tatty furniture couldnt complain as we hadnt paid for a sea view and its the best we have ever had. There were more steps out of the bedroom to a roof terrace again the view was fantastic. Air con is turned off in October so we were gratfull to have the 2 doors open them both and you get a lovely breeze to cool the room down. Had brill weather just 1 down pour the rest of the week was sunny and hot. Everywhere is clean and tidy. Nice pools lots of beds people do save them early in the morning. Where food is concerned go with an open mind they do serve up some strange things like carrotts and cauliflower for breakfast but you dont have to eat that there is lots of choice you will always find something you like. Booze is ok beer and the red and rose wine is nice didnt think much of the cocktails ,you can get a big bottle of water every evening from the down stairs bar. Entertainment team work hard and do a good job. Not many brits at the mo but once people find out about it i think it really become more popuar. On a whole we had a lovely time and would defo go back for another chillout holiday.

Room Tip: Block C these menzels have amazing views, very peacefull and are near to the main building and main...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Joanne M
Reviewed 28 October 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a weeks holiday here. We had a lovely relaxing week and no issues with the food at all and we are both a little picky. We did however chose to stop going for lunch after a couple of days and chose to have a pizza by the pool if we were hungry. Staff were nicer if tipped however this didn't always work.
If you didn't tip your waiter you would struggle to have a table laid for you. Our waiter for the evening meal would always ensure we had a table and drinks even when busy. We did however give 10dinar per night so I am not surprised. We noticed that people who were not giving tips struggled to even get a knife and fork.
Similar for drinks. We stayed around the main bar area. Neither of us drink much so the small glasses didn't bother us. again we gave 10 dinars and this ensured us a table outside on the upstairs terrace and top ups. The reviews are right unfortunately. You need to tip for any level of service and in the main, English are treated like second class by both staff and guests.
Rooms.... we stayed in a menzel. It was ok. Desperate for an update. We were going to ask to move rooms however after sleeping on it (arrived at 3am) we woke to realise we were literally on the beach so we decided to stay put. Air con is useless. Rooms were visited each day by maids. I don't think they cleaned much.... they then knock on your door and ask for a tip.
Entertainment is ok. There's a kids club which seemed good when ever I saw them doing anything.
Pools are all clean and we had no trouble with beds.
It rained when we were there and a few areas flooded but staff were quick to pump it away.
There are a lot of cats which I loved however they do sleep anywhere including your sun bed. The hotel looks after them and all seem clean.
There is a souvenir shop on site with the rudest owner I have ever come across.
All in all we had a good relaxing week and no real issues.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank mems1980
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We have just returned from two weeks at this hotel and where do I start? On arrival to the hotel we had a fast check in and was escorted to our room by a bell boy even though we didn't want the help and he expected a tip the room was small to say we are a family if four there was a bad smell coming from the bathroom but as it was 1.00am and we have two young boys we decided to sleep on it. The following morning we decided to go down to breakfast and what an experience that was! The service by the waiters was poor unless they received a tip and they seemed to ignore us when they discovered we were English! The pool that we based our selves at was nice and we enjoyed the weather and time by the pool. We had to change rooms due to a bad leak in the bathroom and were then put In a bungalow which was lovely and spacious perhaps we should have been put there in the first place! Overall the food was poor and we struggled to eat at the meal times. I would not return there was nothing to do nowhere to go and altogether disappointing!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012