“Unforgettable Experience”

Ranked #59 of 327 Hotels in Patong
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Unforgettable Experience”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

The Hotel , Staff , location Was amazing. We reached on 22nd Feb 2012 and Checked out on 26th Feb 2012. Before our stay we had been Communicating via email with Ben (Duty Manager) On Arrival at the hotel Ben had taken special care of us by offering us a Welcome Drink Upgrading us to the Pool side room (which was amazing ). Most Important Things since we had only 4days and we wanted to do Scubba diving and visit Phiphi Island and do as many activiteis we could. On arrival Ben had made sure that he has all the details of the activities with detail information and help us decided and book the same. The best part was the companies that he choose for us on going for the tours we realized is really good and better than the others with timing , pricing , places to see etc..

Positivists : 1. Saff Specially Ben and Nick ( the Restaurant Manager Made sure that our stay was More than Comfortable.
Communication skills based on previous reviews we were worried but we had no problem of that as yes there definitely is some communication Issues with Most of the staff but the duty managers all speak very good English and are always there to help and as far as the rest of the staff they too make sincere effort to understand and with body language and English combined you will definitely not have a problem.

The Swimming pool is outstanding and the bar staff at the swimming pool excellent.
Location : would give it best as the main street Bangla road just 5 min by tuk tuk and 15 min walk. What we liked most about the location was that Bangla road is extremely energetic almost the entire night so once you decided to go back to the hotel one would need quite and peace this location was exactly that .

Negatives : The only bad part of the hotel considering their standard should have had a steam , sauna room and may be need a few more restaurants. But other than that we would definitely stay there again and Would Congratulate the staff ( Ben / Nick ) plus the others for making our stay a memorable experience. - Prashant ( India)

For anybody who is veg they can make a good meal for youll veg pasta , thai curry at the hotel (NICK actully went out of his way to prepare Veg Meal for 2 of my friends who were Veg ) and for non veg guys no problem :-)

Room Tip: Pool side rooms can jump in the pool any time and is as good as a private pool.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 27 February 2012

The location of this hotel is what appealed to us. Being up the northern end of Patong it is a little less crazy then the main beach but still an easy walk to restaurants and bars along the beach. The swimming pool is deluxe, although the view is a little obstructed by power lines. Chill out at the swim up bar or swim up to the beach/street end and watch the action on the street. It's probably not as glamorous as Graceland down the road but it is still great value for money.
The 2 metre wide rain shower with privacy curtain is a nice touch. If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle for the day, grab a tuk-tuk out on the street and head to one of the northern beaches such as Kamala. I hope the high standards are maintained at B-Lay. The staff were always helpful and lovely. Reviewers who complain about having to wait a minute before they are served or that they have some other minor miscommunication should try exercising some patience and remember that they are in Thailand.... Not their own country.

• Stayed February 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 24 February 2012

If you like a cool, hip boutique hotel experience this is the place for you. It's modern, and gorgeously decorated and steps from the beach with lots of contemporary art and chilled out beats piped throughout to feed the soul and set the mood for exactly what a holiday is for; leaving your cares behind and letting yourself go a little!

You can eat, drink and relax in a number of venues here: inside the restaurant for a fine dining feel or just outside from it watching the world go by in cushioned chairs at umbrella tables or the adjacent outdoor bar or enjoy snacks pool-side while working on your tan. Later, there's drinks in the sophisticated bar off the lobby or in the club downstairs. For anyone wanting alone time, just stay in the comfort of your own room, with the huge bathtub or jacuzzi, thick fluffy towels, and super comfy beds with crisp white sheets and order from the well-thought-out 24-hour menu.

My partner and I met with a group of friends there recently for a five-day get away and the style and vibe of B-Lay Tong fit our group to a tee. We're a mix of ex-pats and Thais living in Bangkok and collectively have been just about everywhere in Thailand so that in itself says a lot.

My partner and I had been there ourselves before it was managed by Accor and enjoyed it so much we recommended it for our group and everyone couldn't have been happier. As others have mentioned, the food is incredible, and even more so now. The Saturday brunch is a special treat served until a merciful 3 pm, and even then there's no rush to get stragglers out and, with the complimentary cocktails, we did linger a bit without feeling awkward. Great for those who like to sleep in after enjoying the night life in Patong, which is the best in Phuket. Manager, Wesley, was helpful in making suggestions on what to do and made sure we had everything we needed. He did admit, though, that staffing at all the Phuket hotels has been especially challenging this year due to a lot of skilled workers leaving the island during last year's floods and the resulting dip in tourism to find work. As with all the Accor hotels though, service is a priority, so the acquisition and training of new staff is well underway.

That being said, none in our party experienced any problems and smiles were pretty easy to come by. I think a lot of that has to do one's own attitude though as Thai people working in the service industry can be easily freaked out by the often louder and more aggressive behavior of westerners. Even just a serious facial expression can be intimidating, so if you're not getting smiles in Thailand you can usually just do a quick check at what your own face is doing to find out why. Adopt a softer tone and kinder expression when engaging with Thais and they'll get you the moon if they can!

We had no problems getting around either and enjoyed drinking from the fresh coconut venders on the short walk along the beach paseo to get to the center of things. If you prefer to ride back after a day of walking you can hop on a song taew (meaning two rows, for the seats in back of these little trucks) and share the ride for about 40 THB per person. Otherwise, you will pay a bit for transport during season here.

The two minor recommendations I would make to the hotel is to add some sort of shelf in the shower as there's no place to put your gear but on the floor and set the clock to the right time, we couldn't work it out.

All in all, B-Lay Tong is an absolute perfect mix of laid-back and up-scale trendy. Just the right location; not too stodgy, quiet or uptight and without any of the tackiness more prevalent just a few more minutes walk closer to the action. It will remain our first choice in Phuket!

Room Tip: If you like a cool, hip boutique hotel experience this is the place for you.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I stayed unfortunately only for one night, next time for sure I will stay longer. When I arrived it was already 3.45pm, and check in time is a 3 pm so I was expecting the room to be ready instantly, but in this case it wasnt ready and my first reaction " come on", but then the front office clerk Khun Ben was very helpful and professional and within a few minutes he found a clean room for me.
i had an oceanfront facing suite which absolutely amazing, very spaciuos room, with sofa, large flatscreen, two vanity basins and a massage bed in the bathroom for your personal Spa treatments whilst staying in. The view was amazing and even if there was a road in front of the hotel the noise was minor. The beach on this side of Patong is actually a lot cleaner and nicer and less of a riff/ raff croud, which is what I wanted to avoid.
The room offered a spacious balcony with sea view and was the perfect spot to have some drinks with friends.
The housekeeping team did a great job and refilled the towels on special request after I took a shower. I loved the rain shower as it had some decent pressure, often in hotels they trY to reduce water pressure to save water, I know it is sensible, but I love a shower with good pressure. i went out for dinner wih friends to the 9 th floor restaurant, a great place, with good food and service and a very good wine list for Thailand, a must go place!
The restaurant in the hotel looked good and inviting, so defintely would dine there next time, as prices seem reasonable. The breakfast buffet had a good choice of Western und Asian food and even had salmon on the buffet, which was a nice touch. The team there was ok, but could have been more attentive and a bot more genuine with their smiles.
The overall guest crowd in the hotel was very pleasant and behaved, sometimes you an have some loud and unpleasant guest but that wasnt he case during my stay. Also I likedthat the items in the minibar were inclusive of the rate, as well as internet, thank you that is really forward thinking...guest do not want to see this being charged extra, better to hide it in the rate, as you probably did.
A hotel I would go back to and would recommend to my friends and family...
My improvement suggestion, strengthen your internet connectivity in the room it was on and off
and enlarge the fitness center, too small and have the management engaging more with guest.
Thank you to the entire team for making my stay most comfortable!
See you soon again....

Room Tip: Book the oceanfront suite...great views!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank DivingUK
Singapore
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Allow me to begin by stating that my girlfriend and I have been visiting Phuket at least once a year for the past 5 years, and we have stayed in a range of accomodation on the island. In terms of value for money, we are of the opinion that B-Lay Tong ranks at the very bottom of our list.

I stayed here with my girlfriend from 16-21 February 2012. We both swear that when booking our room over Agoda, the room description stated that there would be, amongst other things, a sea view and an outdoor jacuzzi. These were the factors that made us choose B-Lay Tong, as it was a little cheaper than reputable chains such as Amari and yet had these perks. On hindsight, we would have gladly paid more and stayed elsewhere instead.

First, we tried arranging for an airport transfer but we got a reply from the hotel that they do not provide such a service. Disappointing, but manageable. We just took a min-bus from the airport. Aside from a slight delay (due to the min-bus operator stopping at a tour agency to try and sell you tours), it was not a very large inconvenience.

Upon reaching our destination, we were expecting the smiles and welcomes that we never failed to get in Phuket. Instead, we got off the mini-bus and were greeted by grumpy bellhops who brusquely told me (after ignoring me for a good whole minute) that the reception is on another floor.

We go up to the reception and the people at the desk looked angry. Everyone had their brows furrowed and their english was halting. We were told that our room was not ready and to come back later. So we left our luggage (including a laptop) with them and headed out for lunch. We came back almost 2 hours later and our room was still not ready.

When we were eventually given a room, it had neither a sea view nor a jacuzzi. We shrugged off the missing jacuzzi, but at least give us a sea view room? When asked, we were told only superior deluxe rooms had sea views (not what we saw when booking). We also got twin beds despite specifically having asked for a king sized when making our reservation. They "remedied" the problem by pushing the beds together and wrapping them up in one big sheet, but you can't help but notice the little split down the middle when you're trying to sleep close to one another. To make matters more frustrating, we were not brought our laptop when they delivered the luggage to our room. We asked for it and waited, but I eventually had to head to the reception to fetch it myself.

Cleanliness of the room is quite iffy as well. I noticed black marks on the bed sheet on at least 3 days of our stay. Housekeeping clears the bins, but anything not in the bins will be left where they are even if they are obviously meant to be thrown away i.e. empty bottles, cans etc. We indulged in a coconut one evening and left for the beach the next day. When we got back, the coconut was still on the table and ants were everywhere. Speaking of pests, I had to kill a rather large roach in the bathroom one day and mosquitoes were a menance as well.

The water temperature of the shower was another bugbear. You either feel like you're being boiled alive or stabbed by icicles. The temperature of the water does not seem to change until a fair bit of time has passed after adjusting the knob. Water pressure from the rain shower was quite low as well.

The breakfast was very good, both quality and quantity wise. No complaints about the food. Service however was again disappointing. Staff ignored us completely (while serving everyone one else their coffee) and I had to go to the coffee counter myself before someone was willing to ask if I wanted any coffee or tea.

Getting towels for the beach or pool was another hassle. You have to sign towels out and when you come back in the evening, the sheet of paper you signed on in the morning would have disappeared and you would have to fill in your information again. I don't see why they can't just leave beach towels in the rooms. The staff also take an inordinate amount of time to head to the back room to get beach towels for you.

The hotel itself is really quite nice. The design and layout is quite impressive, with the blocks of rooms centered around a pleasant looking courtyard. We experienced no big issues with the wi-fi, except that it could be a little slow at times. Though we never used the pool because it was quite crowded, it really does look quite inviting and nicely built with a glass panel side and a sheltered pool bar. Location wise, the hotel is about 2 kilometers or a 15-20 minute walk to Bangla Road (which is where the bars and street stalls are at), so the hotel is in a relatively quiet area to the north of the Patong stretch. A tuktuk ride to the main area should cost you 200 baht. There is a 24 hour convenience store around the corner.

All in, given what we paid and what we got, our experience at B-Lay Tong was disappointing. The level of service must improve. We simply do not understand it, given that we have encountered much higher levels of service at much cheaper and less upmarket places. Only one lady by the name of Da who works the reception in the evenings greeted us with smiles and was helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple