We have stayed in Hua Hin before but in a hotel further from the town so chose the Centara for its proximity to the town as we wanted to walk in to eat etc. We were not disappointed with our choice. The hotel has superb grounds with the hedges beautifully clipped into animal shapes. There are 4 pools all with ample sunbeds. The hotel does not encourage the reserving of sunbeds although this was still done, as there are always some available and each one has 2 thick towels laid on it. The pools do get busy as they are not large but overall the ambiance around the pools was tranquil, with the breeze from the sea adding to the calming effect. There are some organised activities like aqua aerobics but these were never too noisy or disruptive.
The lobby area is beautiful, with a gentle breeze blowing through it - another haven of tranquility. There is free wi-fi in the area as well as the use of 2 computers in the nearby library. The breakfasts were fabulous - smoothies made to order, freshly squeezed orange juice and the best scrambled eggs I have ever tasted. We enjoyed the 'happy hour' drinks by the pool where the prices were very competitive considering the standard of the hotel.
We ate in Hua Hin every evening - the pier restaurants are great, especially Katsuerin which we kept returning to. The food was unbelievably good value and in such a wonderful setting and a lovely lady owner who was really friendly. We also had excellent pizzas in Mamma Mia although it was expensive by Thai standards. We loved the buzz of the night market and had a wonderful time in the Retro bar overlooking the market, up on the balcony. Again, there was always service with a smile and we chose the music from the laptop!
We took trips in tuk-tuks - available just outside the hotel - always cheap and easy enough to bargain with the drivers. We went to the temple with the large Buddha and the royal palace. We were the only western tourists in both!
We didn't use the hotel spa but had wonderful and very cheap massages and a pedicure in one of the massage parlours in town - there are hundreds!
Overall it was a wonderful trip. The staff at the hotel just cannot do enough and everyone is so friendly. We really did feel like honoured guests.
If we have to find anything negative it would be that the room (Superior) was a little cramped as was the bathroom but we spent very little time in the room and the balcony was great with lovely views over the grounds. The shower needed attention as it went from cold to hot but it was dealt with promptly.
As already stated, the breakfasts were superb but it got very busy around 9.30 and the staff became a little overstretched. It was a little cramped in the room that breakfast was served in and the area around the fruit/smoothie station was often difficult to move in.
The beach is lovely and we were rarely hassled but the horses are a problem. At times we had to watch our feet the whole time whilst paddling and the sea was far from clean as a result.
However, overall, thank you to the Centara - we will be back one day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Hua Hin first opened its doors in the early 1920s at a time when Hua Hin was still a sleepy coastal village. This five-star beachfront resort was built along the classic lines of that era, with phenomenal gardens and beautifully spacious rooms and suites (up to 170 square metres) with high ceilings, polished hardwood flooring, period furniture, and the warm tones of Thai silk. The resort is also home to 42 single-storey villas that offer privacy and space (up to 120 square metres) and the choice of a Jacuzzi or plunge pool on the terrace. Beside Hua Hin’s gorgeous beach, a stone’s throw away, and a relaxed atmosphere to enjoy to the full, the resort also offers plenty of leisure options for adults and children: four swimming pools and children’s pools, a superb spa, a fitness centre, tennis courts, Muay Thai and Tai Chi classes, and two kids clubs. Plus, the town is outside our door, and some of the best golf courses in Thailand are within easy travelling distance. The dining venues include a colonial style café and all-day dining restaurant, a Japanese restaurant, a Thai restaurant located near the villas, and the modern COAST Beach Club & Bistro. With its setting on the beach and its elegant atmosphere, the resort also is the perfect setting for a dream wedding. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Agoda, Ebookers, TravelUp, Fastbooking and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Hua Hin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Hua Hin Hotel Hua Hin
- Centara Grand Beach Resort And Villas Hua Hin
- Sofitel Hua Hin
- Accor Hua Hin
- Hua Hin Sofitel