“Golden triangle, temples and monkey cave good, don't bother with the scam at the pretend tribal village”

Golden Triangle Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #13 of 32 Tours in Chiang Rai
More attraction details
Owner description: The best way when you come to chiang rai is "COME TO SEE US" in the Coconuts Tours office. We offer you visits to the most popular places in Chiang Rai province, also new non-touristic places and routes through the beautiful nature with amazing mountains, nice people. Something you will never forget...
Reviewed 9 January 2018

My husband and I booked the day tour which included the white temple-excellent, blue temple they added for our group-excellent, black house-excellent, monkey cave was good fun watching these crazy characters wrestle and swim etc, I really enjoyed the Golden Triangle but wished we had an english speaking guide or even a little bit of english to tell us where to go. The opium museum was somewhat interesting but you could likely learn as much by a quick google. There were some other spots that were OK. VERY disappointing was the tribal village which most people were looking forward to seeing the longnecks etc. The beautiful temples only charged 30-80 baht but the tribes charged 300! Then when we were inside it took a couple of minutes of wandering thru seemingly uninhabited areas with run down huts and stray dogs. Then we got to the area where there were some tribal women which was a market selling cheap chinese crap and one or two of them pretended they were weaving etc. Most of it was "lady buy something" that was it! I had been to Thailand some years ago and seen these tribes which are quite interesting when it isn't an overpriced scam but this was no example of tribal living. Also there were about 4 different tribes in this junk market and I highly doubt those tribes live together so some of our group assumed it was a makeup village to sell and get admission. We didn't mind buying some junk IF we hadn't been charged 300 baht already OR paying 300 baht to be in an authentic village but this was really overdoing it. One of our group said she took a tour out of Chiang Mai and saw longnecks for free. IF you end up on a tour that includes this don't bother. You can see more from a postcard. One other issue that came up on our tour was the "lunch". We were told we would get a buffet lunch, others had opted out of lunch just in case and some weren't sure. Several of us had bought from the same travel agency from a guy named Boy. Our van tried to stop at one spot and they waved us away so we went somewhere else. then our guides said we got to spend 50 baht LOL. There were about 2 items on the menu for that price and it sure wasn't a buffet whatever that means. We paid 1000 baht each for the tour and another couple without lunch paid 700baht from the same operater Boy. Thats OK we didn't negotiate enough but if they are getting a kickback from the village and lunch is 50 baht credit it is annoying. Overall a good day though and must say our driver was excellent, no issues there.

All reviews
"cross the border"
"final stop"
"white temple"
in 29 reviews
"an english speaking guide"
"slow boat"
"great guide"
in 4 reviews
"northern thailand"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 10 December 2017

WE visited the Golden Triangle at the end of many hours of sightseeing and it gave us a fitting climax to our day.
Our guide parked up close to a very useful sign explaining the location of Thailand, Myanmar (Burma) and Laos which, if you looked past the sign, enabled us to appreciate the setting of these three countries for real against tthe majestic backdrop of the might Mekong river.
And that is a point to bear in mind. If your tour brings you here to see this then don't expect too much more than the tri-country meeting point. Various stalls inevitably line the road but, by and large, they only contain the same sort of items you can see in a dozen bazaars across Northern Thailand.
There is a pretty little temple off to the right -- toilets are nearby -- but our guide skilfully took us away from the tourist viewpoint after half an hour in favour of the much higher and less well known Chiongsean Viewpoint high above the Mekong which allowed us to see the countryside for miles around laid out beneath us. We were the only people there as dusk fell and it was a stunning scene I will never forget.
Some memorable views but try and build your visit into a day of sightseeing to get the best out of your time.

Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

Where should I start this review??

My hotel helped me booking this tour. I off out 2/3 options. It was one day tour with more than 10 hours I spent on the road. Journey started at 7am, and ended at 9.30pm. I was tired by the time I got dropped off at my hotel.

Since this review is specific for Golden Triangle- I will stay within the topic.

When we (a small group of us) arrived to Golden Triangle, it did look busy with all the people, trucks, vehicles, tour buses, vendors, shops and dogs everywhere.

I decided not to take a boat trip, I was staying on land to walk around. OMG- most vendors were selling the same stuff just with a different prices. Restroom service was horrible, I had to pay 5 bahts to use the toilet, but the lady told me I have to pay another 10 bahts for tissue. I was like WTH.......so annoyed, I pulled put my own Kleenex to use it. The restroom was not clean at all.....it just gross.....and the service attitude was ........horrible.......
Make sure to bring sanitizer and
Kleenix with you if you happen to come here.

So then, I decided to take some photos just bc I was here already. OMG--- the tourists kept taking the photos with different posts and different accessories ....and then group pictures....I was waiting just to snap a photo---- waiting FOREVER.....

However, the pros : I was able to sit on a bench, relaxing, snacking and drinking coconut, looking at the Mekong River and seeing people were so excited to see the Meeting Point......

Here are some photos- believe me you won't miss anything if you decide not to come here....

3  Thank nova209
Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

This Golden Triangle is somewhere like Iguasu Falls in Latin America. As border of three country meet there, and there's fast flowing water, a lot of smuggling used to happen there. Especially opium for this place. It is known that 1kg of opium used to worth 1kg of gold. Khun Sa, the king of opium, used to make ton of money through opium trading in this place, and he passed away in 2007.

The place itself doesn't much thing to offer without the historical opium trading story.