“Good restaurant, average rooms for the price, very noisy neighborhood.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of L Oasis Lodge and Restaurant Hotel

L Oasis Lodge and Restaurant Hotel
Ranked #18 of 148 Speciality Lodging in Arusha
Newport
“Good restaurant, average rooms for the price, very noisy neighborhood.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed here for a total of 3 nights, 2 nights before our safari and one night after. It was a nice place to end up after a long journey as the swimming pool and garden setting are quite pleasant. The restaurant is also very good and serves up fresh and healthy cuisine. However, I agree with some of the other reviewers in that this place is not a very good value for the cost. It is not a total miss of a spot to stay, it's just that it's decidedly very average in terms of accommodation. We stayed in one of the bungalows which are scattered about in very nice grounds, which is one of the "pros" of this place. The bungalows are pretty dark and the bathrooms are a bit dreary, although we had consistent hot water which is nice for this part of Tanzania as it does get cool at night.

The place is set within the city itself, which is nice as it is easy to explore Arusha and get out and get a feel for the community. We walked into town one day and had a lovely time exploring the bustling markets. However, it seems at night that this can be a drawback. I have stayed in a lot of noisy places and done much international travel, but this neighborhood has got to be one of the noisiest I have ever stayed in. he first night was a Saturday night and there is a discotecque nearby that kept us up until morning (music stopped at sunrise). The dog to person ratio is incredibly high in this particular neighborhood and the second night we were there they howled all night. I could hear the cacophony through my earplugs. Combined with the dogs there was a church next door that was chanting and marching around the neighborhood all night started at midnight and went until sunrise. The chanting wasn't so bad really, but every now and again someone got "saved" and would start screaming.

I did expect some noise especially while traveling in Africa. This just seemed a bit extreme. The third night, I was so tired from climbing Oldoinyo Lengai that I managed to sleep through it all, but talked to a number of bleary eyed travelers the next morning who were up all night with the howling dogs again. Definitely be prepared for this, and bring industrial strength earplugs!

On another negative note, I had a small amount of cash and $200 worth of traveler's cheques pilfered from my room during the day when we were out walking in Arusha. It seems one of the staff is possibly in the mood of taking just enough so you don't quite know it's missing, and not enough to make a big stink of it. I talked to the front desk who let me call to report the traveler's cheques missing, but they questioned me as if there was no way it could've happened in that hotel. I am certain it did since I had counted everything right before leaving on our walk. I chose not to make a big deal of it since it was a small amount, but retrospectively I wished I had pursued talking to someone else as well. Fortunately the checks will be replaced but please be careful with leaving belongings in the rooms. A bad idea anywhere, but there were no safes in the rooms and I did not want to carry all of my traveler's cheques around with me in town.

In summary: a little overpriced, bring earplugs, watch your stuff, but a nice setting and with a good restaurant and the swimming pool is a plus.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Hebrew first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

L'oasis wasn't a bad place to stay - but it was not at all a good value for the expense ($100/night). It does have a pretty setting with rondavels and green grounds roamed by a Hoopoe and sweet dog. The food was also fairly good. However, our room and bathroom were very dark during both the day & night, the bathroom didn't appear to have been cleaned (the drain in the shower wasn't working at the time of our first shower - water built up right away, until I wiped it clean and then it was fine). And although power outages can't be helped, the rooms weren't prepared with the basics of a candle and match (and then we finally received a single candle after requesting one) - and they didn't turn on a generator until well after dark. The mosquito net was useless as well because it didn't fit the bed at all. The location also meant that the walk to town was pretty far - and many other hotels offer (more) quiet areas that are much closer to everywhere we wanted to go. This place strikes me as getting so many guests due to the lonely planet write-up- which is what brought us there. Short version - for that money, they should at least have clean rooms that had some basic lighting. We looked at a lot of hotels in Arusha and many were much more economical with good facilities and grounds that weren't bad. Of course, no others we saw had a Hoopoe wandering the grounds.

• Stayed September 2011
New Plymouth, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed here with husband and 2 children aged 8 and 13 for 4 nights at the start and end of a safari. Comfortable family room in rondavel with mosquito nets provided for kids but unfortunately not us. Set in beautiful grounds in outskirts of Arusha. Lovely to walk around surrounding area and locals very friendly giving little hassle compared with centre of town. Lovely pool and resident great crested crane which kept kids amused. Nice lounge/bar area to sit in at night. Main complaint was that 3 of us became very sick with diarrhea and stomach cramps at the end of our second visit making for a miserable couple of days where we were not well enough to do much. As we had not left the lodge to eat for 2 days we are sure we picked up here.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

I stayed for just 1 night and fell in love with the small interestingly decorated African styled villas. Swimming pool was small but good and the beautiful crown bird roamed freely in the hotel premises was very interesting to watch. The garden was beautiful and the beds were very comfortable.

Room Tip: All the villas are equally good.....
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

I just returned from a kilimanjaro climb and safari.
Whilst in Arusha I had booked to stay at l'oasis backpacker annexe as I'd read the lodge was good and the backpackers annexe was good value at $25 a night.

Upon arrival there were a couple of rooms in the main lodge available so I was immediately upgraded to a superb room for no extra charge - I have rarely experienced a situation where staff openly look to do this and was delighted by the upgrade. I ended up having a room in the lodge for the couple of nights before and after my safari.

The staff where really helpful and accommodating - I couldnt have asked for any better service.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo