See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I stayed one night with the intention of staying two more when I returned from safari. However, I changed my mind mostly due to the lack of a/c. It was OK with the windows open, but there were no screens so it was either mosquitos or heat. However, the owner, Robert, actually walked me to a neighboring hotel (4Js) and negotiated a locals rate ($35 vs. $50). Even though it's a hostel, I expected a much cleaner bathroom than I got, though it was tolerable. The bed was pretty comfortable. Unfortunately, there's an activity center next door, so if there's a party on (which there was the afternoon I checked in... exhausted and aching for sleep) it's REALLY loud. The location is actually a suburb of Arusha, so walking to town isn't actually recommended (especially through a section of neighborhood near Arusha), but the local buses run often and only cost about 30 cents. NOTE: Arusha isn't very nice and not worth trying to stay downtown due to noise, unless you just want the convenience of being close to your safari company office.

Note: In comparison, the 4Js was a total luxury hotel. When looking at it from a pure relational cost, it's nearly twice as much ($20 vs. $35). But in terms of service and luxury, it's night and day. The 4Js is new (still building the upper floors) but had comfortable beds with nice linens, great a/c, provided water, a restaurant, cable, and a nice bath (though the shower was open and flowed into the rest of the bath - which was promptly cleaned up after a call to the main desk). For $15 more, it was $50 more worth of amenities.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Sakina Campsite must be the best place to stay in Arusha. Nice rooms, nice garden, nice breakfast and the nicest people running the place. Robert will help you with everything you might need: airport pick-up, getting the Daladala into town, finding a place for dinner and so much more. The most wonderful place where you will feel just like at home.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Sakina Campsite is a small lovely place. It is placed outside of Arusha but the town is easily reachable. The couple at the place are very lovely and helpful with whatever problem you might have.
There are different kinds of room, all of them are really nice (I tried three differents).
It is a great and trusthworthy place.
If you want to you can relax in the small garden with the nice paintings on the outer wall.
The place and the staff are great!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We stayed at Sakina for 3 nights. Room was nice and clean and the staff is excellent and helpful. Jennifer washed our laundry and Robert helped us a lot! He arranged a 3 days safari to Serengeti and Ngorongoro and a one day trip to Kilimanjaro for us. I most definitely recommend Sakina Campsite for anyone whose visiting Arusha (and want to do a great safari). Sakina is one of the best hostels I stayed in Tanzania.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2013

We stayed at Sakina Campsite for 4 nights, and had such a great time, thanks to Robert the owner. He was so helpful and were always smiling! We also booked 2-days safari through Robert and that was fantastic. Rooms were basic with mosquito-nets and comfy beds. Easy to take cheap dalla dalla to citycenter. Roberts prepared a good big breakfast every morning, and anytime we needed to use the internet we could borrow his computer. We can really recommend Sakina Campsite, it feels more like coming home to someone than a hostel!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple