“We returned to our home away from home!”
Review of Sakina campsite

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arusha
Sakina campsite
Ranked #62 of 195 Speciality Lodging in Arusha
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I reviewed this hostel after staying there last summer, I just wanted to update that the showers in the main building were fixed, so staying in either building is fine. We returned to Arusha this April to do a safari in the Serengeti, and we were so happy to stay at Sakina Campsite again before and after safari. Our now friends, manager Robert and housekeeper Jennifer, continued to always make sure we felt welcome and well taken care of. They allowed us to use their kitchen to make dinner for all, and Robert and Jennifer even washed all of the dishes when we were done! I would not hesitate to stay there again should I return! Asante sana, Robert and Jennifer, we miss you!

Room Tip: I would still request to sleep in the building behind the main building, it may be quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 May 2013

I stayed one night with the intention of staying two more when I returned from safari. However, I changed my mind mostly due to the lack of a/c. It was OK with the windows open, but there were no screens so it was either mosquitos or heat. However, the owner, Robert, actually walked me to a neighboring hotel (4Js) and negotiated a locals rate ($35 vs. $50). Even though it's a hostel, I expected a much cleaner bathroom than I got, though it was tolerable. The bed was pretty comfortable. Unfortunately, there's an activity center next door, so if there's a party on (which there was the afternoon I checked in... exhausted and aching for sleep) it's REALLY loud. The location is actually a suburb of Arusha, so walking to town isn't actually recommended (especially through a section of neighborhood near Arusha), but the local buses run often and only cost about 30 cents. NOTE: Arusha isn't very nice and not worth trying to stay downtown due to noise, unless you just want the convenience of being close to your safari company office.

Note: In comparison, the 4Js was a total luxury hotel. When looking at it from a pure relational cost, it's nearly twice as much ($20 vs. $35). But in terms of service and luxury, it's night and day. The 4Js is new (still building the upper floors) but had comfortable beds with nice linens, great a/c, provided water, a restaurant, cable, and a nice bath (though the shower was open and flowed into the rest of the bath - which was promptly cleaned up after a call to the main desk). For $15 more, it was $50 more worth of amenities.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Sakina Campsite must be the best place to stay in Arusha. Nice rooms, nice garden, nice breakfast and the nicest people running the place. Robert will help you with everything you might need: airport pick-up, getting the Daladala into town, finding a place for dinner and so much more. The most wonderful place where you will feel just like at home.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Sakina Campsite is a small lovely place. It is placed outside of Arusha but the town is easily reachable. The couple at the place are very lovely and helpful with whatever problem you might have.
There are different kinds of room, all of them are really nice (I tried three differents).
It is a great and trusthworthy place.
If you want to you can relax in the small garden with the nice paintings on the outer wall.
The place and the staff are great!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We stayed at Sakina for 3 nights. Room was nice and clean and the staff is excellent and helpful. Jennifer washed our laundry and Robert helped us a lot! He arranged a 3 days safari to Serengeti and Ngorongoro and a one day trip to Kilimanjaro for us. I most definitely recommend Sakina Campsite for anyone whose visiting Arusha (and want to do a great safari). Sakina is one of the best hostels I stayed in Tanzania.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends