“nice courtyard”

Spoons Family Resturant
Price range: US$1 - US$15
Cuisines: Eastern European, Sri Lankan
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Family resturant with variaty dishes
Reviewed 27 February 2015

not too busy, but more than enough customers so freshly made food, nice vegetarian rice & curry and juices too

Reviewed 4 December 2012

Having read all the reviews about the restaurant we decided to go there for dinner.
First of all, the address of the restaurant in Trip Advisor was incorrect, so we spent a lot of time finding the place. And, after all, the place wasn't that great as we'd expected. Inside the restaurant it was too hot, so we decided to sit outside - but the loud transport around and people passing you all the time and looking at you with interest - it's not what you expect when you want to have a rest... The meal was ok, but nothing special I'd say. The prices are not cheap. All in all, I wouldn't recomment that place

Reviewed 6 October 2012

After reading so many good reports on TA about Spoons, I felt I had to give the place a try. The menu had 240 choices of dishes, which I thought was a problem. Generally a small menu means very fresh ingredients, how would one keep the ingredients for 240 dishes?. The menu was a mixture of Asian and European food.
Having had excellent curries in small local restaurants / cafes in Colombo, I went for a curry and asked for ‘hot’, and told the waiter that I liked normal Sri Lankan curry. The food was bland, and not a patch on a true Sri Lankan curry. It was obviously made for European taste buds, and either the waiter didn’t believe me, or didn’t inform the cook that I had asked for a ‘true’ local curry. To be fair to Spoons this is not the first time a restaurant has presented me with ‘European’ tasting curry.

Reviewed 29 September 2012

I found Spoons as it was opposite my hotel and went back several times. Nuwan, the owner, or Biggie as he is known for obvious reasons, and Mac the waiter are friendly and funny. The food is good and the service adequate but sometimes a little slow if it is busy, or Biggie is not cooking. Everywhere other restaurant in NB is not a patch on this place for atmosphere and quality. Try it just for a beer first and then go back for lunch and dinner. Tell them Tim, the English Saints supporter sent you, they'll know who you mean.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

We had a group of 15 people. When we approached this restaurant, the server seemed unhappy to see us. They had only one other table of 4 people eating inside and the other tables were all empty! The menu was extensive and looked good. However, the food took a very long time to arrive and the dishes were cooked sequentially. The last person in our group got her food about 1 hr after the first person. We would NOT recommend this restaurant for large groups or if you are in a hurry.