“Wonderful Spot located in an Old School Diner”

Tanpopo Ramen and Sake Bar
Ranked #34 of 752 Restaurants in Albany
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This place is a gem. Might not look like it from the outside, but don't let that fool you. The inside is a cramped old diner, with a number of booths and counter seating- so you might have to wait a bit on a busy night, but worth the wait. Steaming hot ramen, with you choice of veggies and/or meat and the pork dumplings are to die for! Worth a visit and a drive from Troy/RPI.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

An assuming location and fantastic food! We had gyozas, steamed pork buns and miso ramen...absolutely delicious! Cannot wait to go back.

Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

Great food, good beers, casual atmosphere. Tge ramen was great. I'd come back again and maybe again after that. With a beer and added options to the ramen you'll spend about $20. I enjoyed the engaging lively service!

Reviewed 17 February 2018

Boy it’s taken us a long time to get here. On this cold blustery evening we lucked out. Well, kind of. We only had to walk half of a block in the cold wind after we found a parking place, and while the restaurant was jam packed full with five people standing inside waiting ahead of us, they were all in a single party and a booth for two opened up right away.

Now it’s important to keep in mind that this former railcar-style diner (Miss Albany) is so old (1941) that the cold outside permeates the glass windows. Fortunately, there was a heater directly under our table to help offset some of that cold.

My wife was happy to see that the place had been cleaned up considerably since it was last open as the Miss Albany Diner several years ago and the original character was still intact. There was a decent selection of craft beers available, even though they were out of the stout that I ordered. So we ended up with a pair of Chatham Brewing stalwarts – Czech’rd Past Pilsner and Farmer’s Daughter Rye IPA ($6 each).

We started with the Roast Duck Buns ($7 for 2). The duck was tender and full of flavor while the buns were light, puffy and airy.

My wife ordered the Tanpopo Spicy Ramen ($12) with an optional Seasoned Boiled Egg ($2). The Chashu pork was tender, the Tonkotsu broth was rich and only slightly spicy to allow all the other flavors to come across.

I ordered the Roast Duck Ramen ($13) which comes in a chicken broth. But it wasn’t just any old chicken broth. Enriched by the chopped pieces of duck with both bone and fat intact, the broth was both rich and full of flavor. If you’re not accustomed to gnawing meat off of small chopped bones, or someone who eschews the fat and skin of the duck, this dish is not meant for you. Otherwise, the meat is tender and did I mention it adds much richness and flavor to the broth?

Service is friendly and efficient even with a full house.

Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

Great food, great staff! I definitely recommend coming here! The wait isn’t long either, each time I’ve come, out food was ready fairly quick!

Been to Tanpopo Ramen and Sake Bar? Share your experiences!