“Absolutely amazing! (And I am NOT vegan OR vegetarian!)”

Berben and Wolff's Vegan Delicatessen
Ranked #51 of 752 Restaurants in Albany
Reviewed 28 June 2016 via mobile

I heard about this place yesterday and looked it up... After reading some reviews - and seeing a photo of the Cubano, I immediately wanted to try it. Alas, this place is closed on Mondays... So I had a full 24 hours to think about it before I got the chance to try it for myself... It was SO worth the wait!

I am not vegan or vegetarian - and, by nature, I'm a little skeptical of meat and cheese substitutes (I've never had anything all that convincing in the past) - but I kept an open mind. I ordered the Cubano - a panini type sandwich with vegan ham and Swiss, vegan mayo, mustard and pickles. It looked and smelled amazing - and tasted even better. I would never have known it was vegan - it ranked up there with the best sandwiches of ANY sort that I've had, ever. I'm already looking forward to the next one - though I'm probably going to have to try one of the other offerings (the bbq jackfruit or buffalo chicken sandwiches are at the top of my list) first.

Reviewed 12 June 2016

I was excited when I learned that a vegan deli would be opening in the area, and this place didn't disappoint. It's not what you might think of a deli - the kind of place you can either order a sandwich or sliced cold cuts from - it's more what you might think as a café - the kind of place you can order a sandwich or side from their menu to either eat in or take out.

The buffalo wing sandwich was tasty - the patty had a dense quality to it, with good chew, and spicy sauce with shredded celery and carrot to add more crunch to the bite. The philly cheesesteak sandwich featured very thinly sliced seitan on a toasted sub-like roll, with cheesy dipping sauce. Both were good, but I favored the wing sandwich.Served with chips and a pickle, both were hearty sandwiches, for about $10 each.

The surroundings were kitschy and retro - sea green wall paint, older music playing (Johnny Cash, Elvis, etc.), and fun décor, including items you would expect to find while shopping at a yard sale or antique shop, like a Pee Wee Herman doll and a paper lion wall decoration. The building itself is old, so it really does have a time-travel vibe. The glass window storefront lets a lot of light in, so it's a bright spot to grab a quick lunch. There is not a huge menu (maybe eight or so sandwich choices), but I'm curious about all of their offerings!