The staff at Nihiwatu was outstanding and very attentive, from the moment we met at the Denpasar Airport to the day we left. The drive to Nihiwatu is long, just soak in the scenery and time will quickly pass. You will be amazed at how simple the Sumbanese people live.
The location of the resort couldn't be in a better place. The rooms are not "beach front" but only a few steps away with every room having an excellent view.
Nihiwatu has become a surfers dream however if you don't surf no need to worry there is plenty of other things to do. Each day the activities are listed on a board near the dining area. Personally we would have like to see more activities included in the price along with a listing of the Sumba Foundation activities available for the day.
The rooms are great, need a little updating but nothing bad at all. We stayed in #5 which was quiet, had lots of privacy and excellent views.
I would not rate the food as excellent, but good. Plenty of variety and you will probably leave a few pounds heavier! They seem to struggle with desserts so I would recommend the fruit plate.
The Sumbanese people are beautiful. We took mountain bikes from the resort and rode around the neighborhoods and villages, everyone was super friendly. If you chose to do this go on a Sunday, there will be more people at home.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Voted #1 Hotel in the World for 2016 by Travel & Leisure magazine. An award-winning luxury resort on remote Sumba Island, Indonesia. A wide range of land and ocean-based experiences ensures all tastes are catered to. Attentive service and gourmet meals add to the refined and intimate ambience. A romantic getaway idyll with pristine private beach stretching in excess of 2.5km of length ideal for honeymooners and the unique tribal culture on the island offers guests a glimpse of a bygone era. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Nihiwatu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nihiwatu Hotel Sumba
- Nihiwatu Hotel Waikabubak
- Nihiwatu Resort Waikabubak