New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Swiss-Belinn Medan

Swiss-Belinn Medan
Ranked #10 of 69 Hotels in Medan
Hong Kong, China
“Good hotel in ok location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

Very nice rooms though nothing fancy. For what I paid it certainly was worth it. Some minor problems in my bathroom but otherwise it was a food stay. Nice big bed, good bedding, and free wifi in my room.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank hk-trekker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

This place has just been rebranded as part of the Swiss Bell-Inn chain of budget hotels. I'm not sure how much impact this has had on the chain - I'm assuming not much and taxi drivers still recognise the old name. Good location in Chinatown with excellent street food/coffee shops behind the hotel.

We were put on the 2nd floor next to the function rooms, which were very noisy due to an Indian couple's wedding during 2 nights of our visit. Fortunately the wedding party went home after 11pm but anyone booking here should insist on rooms on higher floors away from the function rooms. The design on the 2nd is ludicrous as the function rooms share a common corridor with the hotel rooms, so you end up about 4 feet away from the function rooms and receiving the full benefit of the P/A system or whatever renovation is necessary pre- or post-function.

To be fair the rooms were quite nice and relatively clean with comfortable, firm beds. However, my roommate and I were stonewalled by the reception staff over a request for extra pillows. On our first night, the ladies at reception first ignored us and then flatly insisted that the hotel was fully booked and that extra pillows were an impossibility (despite them not having raised a squeak over the request when originally lodged during a 9am checkin). It took 3 phone calls and several visits to the reception desk plus increasingly loud and angry demands for the manager to gain any traction with the staff. Even when I asked them to substitute a spare towel/spare blanket if pillows were not available, they informed me that this was not possible as "Towels cannot be used on the beds". The pillows magically appeared when we finally demanded loudly to see the manager - why make it so difficult for us?

We also asked if the reception staff could help us confirm a spa booking and they informed us that this was chargeable. Are these people operating the budget airline model where you pay for anything outside the ordinary? I have stayed in Backpackers' dorms where the service was more friendly and personable. It all left a bad taste in the mouth.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nightview
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

After seeing so many reviews, i decided to give it a go on one of my weekend mini-breaks

I had made prior arrangements for a shuttle pickup as I will be arriving early. I was initially worried when they didn't show up, but after a phone call, a guy dressed in the company uniform approached me - he was attending to another customer who had also requested for an airport pickup. It was relatively pricey; IDR 40,000 (one way). A company within the airport was charging IDR 50,000 to get to the hotel; so be careful and ask around first. The ride takes around 15 minutes (without much traffic). They had allowed me to check in early, but only to a non-smoking room which I declined. They allowed me to leave my luggage there and I explored the until 1pm when my non-smoking room was available.

General impression of the room was good. Everything looks pretty new, good lighting, sheets were clean and generally spacious for the price I paid for (it was on discount when I booked from agoda). Two bottles of water were supplied (complimentary). Bathroom slippers and kettle provided.There is a safe (enough to fit a 15" laptop). My room had a small window. A standard LCD TV was mounted to the wall with a good variety of channels. Free Broadband is only available via cable (supplied). Wifi is only detected in the lobby. There are two computers in the lobby which you can use to connect to the internet if you don't have a laptop.

The room is certainly good enough for a warm bath and sleep after a long day out in Medan town. The hotel has a front and back entrance. There are loads of food behind the hotel (exit via the back entrance: These shops open in the morning and evenings till late night)

Transportation: You can choose to call a taxi (make sure they use the meter) or choose to ride a 'becak' fromt he front entrance (Be ready for a bumpy ride and its a thrilling experience for those who have not been on one before!). Remember to tell them your hotel road rather than you hotel if you decide to take the becak. A ride from the hotel to the airport by taxi only cost me IDR 25,000. Tip Top restaurant and the Tjong A Fie mansion is around 15 minutes away by foot. Crossing a road can be a challenge especially at peak hours!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank john_gpjm
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

I haven't been to Medan for 20 years, I thought I will have a pleasant stayed at this hotel. But I was wrong! Request for non smoking, but the room was smokey. Also the bed sheets were dirty, there marks of stains and dusty. My body was itchy the whole night. The bathroom smells like urib. I will never come back here again! Price is reasonable, service was average. The only great about the place is close to food stalls!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chloe S
Makassar, Indonesia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

We stayed for 3 nites in this hotel over the reference of a friend and trip advisory. The internet facility is the only thing which is according to what the hotel advertised. As for the spa is the worst, we saw the add (as big as human size board) that the facility is from 10.00-22.00 even in each room they put the same add, unfortunately it was just bogus. The second night we asked for reservation, they told us the service terminated at 7.00 pm (not according to the add) then the third night, we made reservation from morning itself for 6.30pm, a lady (called herself therapist) called at 5.00 pm so we confirmed reservation at 6.00pm, up till 6.30 nobody came, we called reception and even went down to ask they said sorry no more therapist (to be noted it was 6.30pm still) and they would check, we waited 10 more minutes and we had to call them back (as they didnt bother to inform us) and they said sorry, no more therapist, we asked do they really have spa facility or what? coz the add and the info all bogus for 2 times on a row. They dont even know who called our room at 5.00pm (who claimed to be the therapist). They said they have but no therapist? what a lame excuse. If they dont have such facility they shouldnt put any board advertising the service. The front desk (reception) should also be more helpful by updating us. Other than that the 2 elevator were not functioning fully, one of them was broken for the whole day. As for the location i believe Grand Aston at merdeka street has better thing to offer, its right to the merdeka walk, kesawan food court and also near by to tourism object such as istana maimoon, mesjid raya, and sun plaza, all within walking distance of 10-15minutes.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank earlifransiska

Travellers are raving about these Medan hotels