See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 May 2016 via mobile

This is an OK hotel to just sleep in for a few days when you spend most of your days (and night) outside.

Room was OK, not that clean. We moved the beds slightly & found out the housekeeping staff do not clean underneath the beds. Bathroom was really small.

Breakfast is very limited.

As in majority of Indonesian hotels, reception staffs are friendly & accommodating.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
Varnahotelsurabaya, Front Office Manager at Varna Culture Hotel Soerabaia, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2016

Dear donmochino
Thank you for taking the time out to share your experiences and feedback regarding your stay at Varna Culture Hotel Surabaya, We will inform your comments to our team . We are sure that this feedback will be a motivation for all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our service . Once again thank you for informing your experience , and we hope your next visit will be as satisfying than your previous visit. We are looking forward to welcome you back at Varna Culture Hotel Soerabaia .
Ahmad Suroso
Asst. Front Office Manager

Reviewed 28 March 2016

Stayed here for 4 days 3 nights. First of all, the staff was super friendly and helpful, since the first time i came, the reception staff is really friendly, warmly welcome, and throw some light jokes, kinda lighten up my mood after my delayed flight and late check in, so does every staff at there, always friendly. i think the staff deserve a 5 star.
This hotel only have 3 floor. As per my request, i got a double bed and no smoking room, the room is kinda big, and old fashioned, but i like it. It was vintage style. Air cond is fine but it takes some times to get cool, like 15-30 minutes. Too bad I got the views is to some houses. Bathroom is clean but kinda small, and no hair dryer, and they don't have it, really. It's okay for me but not for my partner. Also the shower is kinda weird, like the water that come out is not full, and suddenly it's full, and then not again. They don't have safes too.
Breakfast was okay, not many choices but it was delicious. the toaster is broke but they toast it for me. and the breakfast staff is really helpful and friendly too.
This hotel location is really good and strategic. It's close to Tunjungan Plaza and next to Majapahit Hotel, kinda tricky because this hotel is right at the side of the road, and lot of taxis driver didn't know this place, just told them it's before Majapahit, because the road in front of this hotel is a one way road. There's a parking lot i guessed, behind the hotel.
There's some problem thou, at the second day, after I had my breakfast and back to room, our room is being cleaned by housekeeping, I remember I didn't asked for cleaning before, but probably the staff should inform us before do it because we left our important stuff at our room, since there is no safes. And the cleaning hasn't finished after our breakfast so we waited in the hallway till it's finished.
At the third day, I asked them to clean our room before we going out. After I back at 9 and take a shower, there's a dirty brown spot in the fresh towel, and I'm not using it. Asked for a new towel but there's no more clean towel. I had to asked for it again next morning.
Overall, I recommended this hotel for it's friendliness, simplicity, and cleanliness. I would give 5 stars if I didn't have any problem but it was a great experience.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Varnahotelsurabaya, Manager at Varna Culture Hotel Soerabaia, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2016

Dear Kristienus H

Reviewed 10 February 2016

This was my first experience staying at this hotel for 2 nights (09-11 Feb 16).
Pros:
- The most plus points of this hotel is the friendly staffs. Best hospitality from the front office, restaurant, housekeeping and concierge staffs.
- Value for money
- Efficient check in and check out process
- Oldies ambience, very Soerabaia
- Quiet room
- Comfortable bed
- Free 2 bottles of mineral water, coffee and tea with electric kettle in room
- TV with various international and local channels
- Traditional welcome drink, Beras Kencur
- Free wifi with good connection
- Located in the city center, near the mall but no local restaurant near the hotel
- No standby taxi, but the hotel staff will help you to find a taxi

Cons:
- When I checked in, the only 1 front office staff was receiving calls from consumer, so I must wait until another staff came out from the office room.
- No concierge helping me to find a taxi at the 1st morning (8AM)
- AC took longer to cool the room.
- The shower was not too strong, the temperature was cold
- On day 2, the afternoon I called ext. 2 to order food, but no one answered so I had to ask for the help of the front office.
- Need around 20 minutes to prepare my room service meal.
- The breakfast menu was limited, but the taste was ok. Need more condiment / topping variety for the chicken porridge.

I hope in my next visit everything will be better.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
Varnahotelsurabaya, Manajer Umum at Varna Culture Hotel Soerabaia, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2016

Dear Mr. Alex Sentosa
Ahmad Suroso
Asst. Front Office Manager

Reviewed 29 January 2016

Room is big and comfortable. Aircon in room too low, not cold. Passage way on second floor was hot. Breakfast is reasonable. Staff are corteous and helpful. Good location. Shopping malls at walking distance.

Room Tip: Good room. Large and comfortable bed. Got to look at the aircon in the room and passage way.
Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Varnahotelsurabaya, Manajer at Varna Culture Hotel Soerabaia, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2016

Dear bakarabba

Reviewed 2 December 2015

stayed here for three nights. its a boutique hotel with classic design. the staff were very friendly, i appreciate it. the room is big. nothing special for the breakfast. i do love their location. the hotel is just 5 minutes walking to tunjungan plaza, one of the biggest mall in surabaya and also 5 minutes walking to Jl. Genteng Besar (place to buy food & snack from surabaya).

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
Varnahotelsurabaya, Manager at Varna Culture Hotel Soerabaia, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2016

Dear Mr. Arif Rahman