US$68
US$47
US$44
US$68
TripAdvisor
All reviewsswimming poolgarden viewnice poolspacious roomlobby areataxigymdoormanleisurepurposefoods
A TripAdvisor Member
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
Reviewed 20 December 2011

- got an old room whereas my other friends got the newly renovated room, why?
- Brown water from tap for the first 20 seconds of opening toilet tap
- asked for non-smoking room but got a smoking one. had the cheek to remove the ashtray as I was entering the room.did not even try to spray the room to remove the smell
- room smell damp
- couldn't get a table during breakfast on second day due to very large group. question is why no additional chairs/tables were made available?
- towels looked like there started life in 2005
- gave up trying to control the room aircon
- chargeable wifi at lobby, why?

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 December 2011

after few trip to surabaya and to novotel surabaya... and just recently being a member of advantage plus - the old room need to be renovated very soon

i was a repeater client for novotel surabaya (not sure if reception recognize upon arrival) - and i was assigned to old room which is very far from the lobby.. and the room so smelly from carpet

in overall hotel is ok - however need to improve a lot in product

location is ok.. and please be careful if you take an afternoon (or rush hour) flight to the airport... can be a killing with the traffic - always check with the reception for rush hours and estimate a proper timing to go to the airport

and be careful with some taxi driver that will bring you make A LONG TOUR via highway... even it is not necesary

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 December 2011

We stayed for 3 nights in a 1 Bedroom apartment. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. We called the morning of arrival to request a baby cot to be set up in our room prior to our arrival. This was done as requested, even though we had planned to check in an hour before normal check-in time. The staff was outstanding and accommodating from the beginning of our stay to the end. They were the highlight of our stay, always providing prompt service with a smile.

On the other hand, the room could use some updating: the carpets were old and (with the exception of the 2nd day of our stay) the bathroom towels were no longer white and plushy. The living room curtains were thin and still let a lot of light into the room, although the bedroom curtains were truly blackout. One side of our room looked out to a large mosque that rang out loud calls to prayer (even at night), while the other side faced a train track that was equally loud (though not at night).

The outdoor swimming pool was large and there were 2 separate sections for children, which was great. There were a lot of daily activities for children, although we didn't take advantage of them.

The breakfast buffet was delicious! There were a lot of choices, from hot to cold items, and contained both western and Asian selections. The dinner buffet was equally delicious with an option for suki (hot pot style food).

The hotel is in a great location, close to a number of fun malls and places to eat. Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Having worked with the hotels management company previously for 5 years, there were certain expectations I had of a Novotel hotel. This hotel however did not meet any of those standard.
Myself and my two children stayed there in early December. I had booked on the hotels webpage thinking that this would at least guarantee me a room.
We arrive at the hotel only to the told that, the room we had booked was not available and the we were being upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite. I thought fantastic.
Wrong, we get to our room, only to discover that it is a relic from the 80's.
To start with the room had a slight mouldy, musty smell. On further inspection, I noticed that the smell was coming from the bathroom downstairs. It smelled of urine.
I was informed that the room had a full kitchen facility. There were no kitchen utensils to be found. The kettle (hot water) had a broken cable and of course no complimentary tea or coffee available.
I went to put my 3 year old's milk and food supplies in the fridge, only to find it extremely dirty. I had to ring room service for some dish detergent and a sponge to clean it myself.
The lounge room floor and bathroom floors were dusty and it seemed had not been cleaned.
No Safety Deposit box was available so had to carry our valuables everywhere.
When I was putting my children to sleep, we discovered that the room was close to a train line. We heard the trains passing until 11:30pm and then they restarted at 3am.
We were obviously not told of this piece of information upon check-in.
Later that night the children woke because they were hot, the a/c units could not be adjusted because they were old and the switches were broken.
This was the worst sleep we had ever experienced.
The next day I asked to be moved and was told that there were NO other rooms. We had to have another sleepless night.
In summary, when I was told that we were being Upgraded, my expectation was to receive a better quality room than the one I booked NOT, one that had less quality features but just an extra bed.
This hotel needs to have a major refurbishment, otherwise they need to change the photographs they have on theirs and every other booking platform site to REFLECT the real state of the rooms.
I would not recommend this hotel to families with children because you will get NO sleep.

Room Tip: Find a hotel closer to the city centre
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Flowerpolyn
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I spend 26+ weeks a year travelling mainly around Asia, so i consider i am well qualified to compare hotels and services, rarely do i find the need to write negative reviews but feel i have no option with this one.
Arrive to check in at 9.30pm told bar and restaraunt about to close, room had been refurbished but nor finished, no pillows, no coat hangers, bare wires hanging from the wall in the bathroom, and the mini bar fridge was discusting, empty apart from dirt and mould and this was in a refurbished room.
Despite what they said at reception we did manage to get some food, although at best it was average. When using the shower the drains where blocked and what water did crain from the shower re appeared and flooded the bathroom floor. Following morning i woke and went to work on my lap top which had been charging over night, only to gety electrocuted and to find my lap top battery destroyed, reported to manager and was told they would pay for replacement battery..
Moved room early that morning, 7.30am only to find other room was damp, bedding and floor, my wife tried drying the floor only to find it got wet again within minutes, also the floor was filthy. I took a shower as i had to go to work only to find the same problem with the drains and the bathroom flooding. we then moved rooms for the third time, again not perfect and many faults.
The pool looked very nice but the water was murky and only 7 sun beds for the whole pool area.
On check out the manager refused to compensate me for replacemnt battery for my laptop (US$130) and was most rude, not even an appology for all the problems.
Don't expect a draft beer late pm or early evening because they always ran out every day about that time.
Only good thing about the whole experience was the massage in the spa both my wife and i agrred it was one of the best we had had.
The junior staff tried to be helpful but needs training
Stay any where apart from this place is my adivce

Room Tip: don't choose the hotel is the best advise
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business