All reviewsinfinity poolgarden villaour honeymoonoutdoor shower and baththe rivertotal privacylounge areamain poolbalinese stylenusa duabreakfast is servedafternoon teafree shuttle servicecentral ubudrice terraceswelcome drinkspa
Reviewed 29 August 2015

The hotel is simply charming. The villas are great, the room is spacious, and the staff is very professional. It has a dramatic ambience that i loved. The wifi never worked in the room and its not a hotel for people that have any kind of problems walking and climbing stairs. The breakfast was ok.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not far away from the reception
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank Margarida W
Reviewed 15 August 2015

We had a garden pool villa booked and paid for at this hotel from November '14. The original dates were changed due to the loss of a family member. Pita Maha were very understanding of the situation when we contacted them in January and agreed to the change of dates from February to August. This was also confirmed with Expedia ( in January '15).
I sent an email confirming our booking 2 weeks prior to travelling in August, but did not receive a response. We spent 6 days in Seminyak and the day before we were due to commence our booking in Ubud, an email was received from Pita Maha reservations, asking me to confirm our booking, and stating they were "severely overbooked" for the dates we had secured for our stay.
I replied, confirming our booking, and mentioning that we were concerned about the overbooking issue but we had our transport booked and would be arriving mid afternoon to check in. No reply. This concerned me so I telephoned the hotel, but the reservations contact ( Kanaka) was unavailable. The reception implied we may not have a booking but were not clear. I phoned first thing the next morning, but Kanaka was not commencing work until the afternoon. The person I spoke with said Pita Maha were overbooked and unable to accommodate us. When I stated that we had a long standing booking and this was unacceptable, she advised us to come, as planned.
On arrival, there seemed to be some confusion at reception. Soon after, we were greeted by Kanaka, who said he regretfully had to advise us that the hotel was overbooked and we would be unable to stay there. In fact, he had booked us another hotel! Following much discussion about our disappointment that a secured and paid booking of over 9 months, was suddenly not available, Kanaka profusely apologised, but was not really able to offer a legitimate explanation as to how this error occurred. I was bitterly disappointed as had spent considerable time selecting our Ubud hotel, based on very positive reviews, a good location and great looking photographs. We had anticipated a stay here for many months, and never imagined such a scenario unfolding.
We were then met by the general Manager of Pita Maha, who also offered sincere apologies. However, at the end of the day, there were no villas available and we had no choice but to agree to a villa at another hotel. Pita Maha's sister hotel The Royal Pita Maha, was also fully booked.
They were very polite and genuinely apologetic, but at that time, I was too upset to particularly care. I found it bizarre that a booking could just disappear, despite having been fully paid, for more than 9 months.
Kanaka also discovered the email I had sent two weeks prior, included in the paperwork he had printed regarding our booking, but realised he never replied, recalling that perhaps he had a day off the day my email arrived!!!
So, the General Manager, Johnnie, drove us to our alternate accommodation, Ubud Village Resort, with the promise of a massage, or dinner, or site seeing to compensate the loss of our booking at Pita Maha.
It was also suggested that should a villa become available at Pita Maha, that we would be offered it.
Ubud Village Resort were extremely welcoming and the villa was amazing ( more details in that review).
The next day, Kanaka visited us and said a villa had become available for one night but is was a downgraded villa. Based on that, we opted to remain at Ubud Village. Kanaka then offered us a dinner, a massage and transport to the airport from Ubud, all paid for by PIta Maha. Additionally, a late check out of 6 pm on our last day, was also arranged. On our third and final day, Kanaka visited us again, and reiterated his sincere regret about what had happened. He reassured us that if we return to Ubud and stay at Pita Maha,that we would be welcomed and well looked after, and that our booking would be treated as a priority. He also brought my husband and myself a gift each, which was a kind gesture.
So, though we didn't stay at Pita Maha, and although we were greatly disappointed at the loss of booking, we were appreciative, in the end, of the care shown to us by Pita Maha, as a way of apologising to us for the muck up.
Would we be confident about booking with them again? I am not sure at this stage, but would like to think if we did,that the process would be smooth and seamless.
For those people that have stayed there, the positive reviews encourage me to rethink my hesitation. The effort made by management at Pita Maha also was indicative of the general kindness and warmth evident in Balinese people, and this in itself encourages me to hope they have learned something about their error, and that such a situation in the future would be avoided.
For whoever may have been in our villa, instead of us, lucky you. Hope you had a great time and experienced all that we had hoped to, in a stay at Pita Maha.

Stayed: August 2015
12  Thank claire255100
Reviewed 6 August 2015

I visited Ubud with my husband in July. This place is just amazing with truly kind and helpful staff.

The hotel is very beautiful and private, as it's impossible not to relax. The gardens, the main pool, the view from the restaurant are just breathtaking.
We had a pool garden villa which was beautiful, clean and with a nice Balinese touch.

Room service is great and I think it should be mentioned. We used it for breakfast(with no additional charges) and also for other occasions, as prices are affordable and the food very good.
One night we requested room service and the staff manage to arrange a nice, romantic dinner on our terrace.

It is also very easy to get to Ubud center, as Pita Maha has a free shuttle service. If you don't want to depend on the shuttle, you can also you taxi with at an affordable charge of 50 000 IDR (3-4$).

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sim E
Reviewed 5 August 2015

great big rooms with private gardens, fantastic dramatic views over the valley, old style bali atmosphere. This is vintage bali close to its best and only a km or so from the crowds at the centre of Ubud. Place is very quiet and pleasant. Food was good but classic and unimaginative. Service is there, but very, very, very slow. There is no efficiency here.If you are in a hurry, you will be frustrated; So, just relax, plan your moves ahead, give yourself plenty of time and enjoy the holiday !

Room Tip: most villas have superb views.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
4  Thank topkapitan
Reviewed 5 August 2015

We were there for 3 weeks in a garden villa (with plunge pool- #107) and also had friends (4) in the duplex villa (big pool - #302). Both villa's were more than nice, very roomy and enjoying great views. Breakfast is in the main dining room (two floors) and is world class, both for the food and the service. The reception staff is extremely knowledgeable and most friendly, and comfortable speaking in English, Japanese, and Chinese. A shuttle is provided into the center of town.

The location is within walking distances of many restaurants, shops, and museums.

Room Tip: We enjoy 107, 201, 207, and 302 (duplex)
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends