See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 July 2016

First off I have to say I haven't stayed elsewhere in Ubud, so it's hard to compare prices, but I have traveled extensively in SE Asia and compared to other places I have stayed elsewhere I thought Gerebig was a bit overpriced.

The location is a little outside the main town of Ubud, right opposite the lovely Alchemy cafe. It's a fairly easy 20 min walk in to town, or around 50/60k in a car.
The setting is lovely, pretty gardens of rice paddies, and each bungalow far enough away for it to feel quite private. It's calm and peaceful. The bungalows are also quite spacious. I enjoyed breakfast on our patio each morning - banana pankcake, lovely fruit salad and fresh juice.

The pool area is nice but doesn't get sun late afternoon which is a shame given we were out during the day. It's also quite small, so even though there aren't many guests it can be busy.

The bungalows are old and past their prime however, the one I stayed in could definitely do with being spruced up. It was still fine and comfortable enough, and if you have been around Asia you'll definitely have stayed in much more basic accommodation, but I have paid less for similar, but modernised and semi luxurious places in Thailand for example. Equally I've stayed places like this elsewhere and have absolutely loved their rustic charm, but it has cost less.

Wifi didn't work the first day, but was fine after that. Actually relatively quick. And the fan was ample for sleeping, definitely didn't need AC.

Room Tip: Bungalows overlooking the garden have lovely views
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2016

Simple room with ensuite bathroom, fridge and fan. Private balcony onto the garden. Great pool to cool off in too. Great value for money just 15-20 minutes outside of the hustle and bustle of Ubud. Lots of great cafes and restaurants nearby. Friendly and helpful staff.

Room Tip: stay in the main bungalows or one of the rooms tucked further back along the path for more quiet
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 July 2016 via mobile

Gerebig is in the heart of Penestanan but a world away from all of the busyness... Down to earth, friendly, clean and no fuss accommodation. Great breakfasts every morning and really good conversations with recommendations from Kadek and Wayan (food at Sari Bamboo or Warung Mendez for great local fare). This is a family run business supporting local Penestanan Balinese. Can't do better!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 March 2016 via mobile

There is no fan but this is a good way to acclimatise. That has not held this place back in my mind, with a clever garden to make it seem you have the whole place to yourself and you can easily laze a whole week or like some there, for 3 weeks happily. Basic kitchen and lots a places nearby to explore.

Stayed: March 2016
1  Thank brendy101
Reviewed 26 February 2016

First of all I would like to say the couple that own and run this place are very friendly . However I thought being charged 15 % on top of our bill when we checked out was a bit rough as we have never encountered this ever in any accommodation . And we had an unexpected guest late at night.

I have given it a poor rating as the room we were given was really quite old which is OK but the price was quite steep equivalent of US $ 80 per night for 2 rooms. Because of this we moved after 2 nights and found a place with much much better value , same price but with filtered water in a huge container , tea ,coffee, jug big fridge in an outdoor undercover kitchen , 2 beautiful rooms with big verandah looking over the rainforest and river and a lovely cool pool ,,,called Sunrise Villas Bali.
Our room was more like a big old rambling house at Gerebig and we found out it was shared with a European woman who apparently was living there. We didnt know this when we booked . At 11pm we thought we were being broken into as we could hear the doors rattling and people walking and talking around the building. We had locked the main door to the kitchen and apparently locked out the tenant. The woman had the other bedroom opposite our daughters and spent the two nights up late talking with her gentleman friend.
The breakfast was ordinary and thats OK but not for the price. We received a superb breakfast at Sunrise Villas with lovely display of fruits and great toast with the eggs. The dirty plates from the breakfast at Gerebigs were still there to greet us at 6 pm when we arrived back there and still in the kitchen area the next day where I put them. The pool is miles away from alot of the accommodation and it was hard to find any staff alot of the time in the rambling grounds.
Look for better value places as this is way overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family