“Great bar, great restaurant”
Review of The Fire Station

The Fire Station
Ranked #70 of 514 Restaurants in Sanur
Price range: US$3 - US$40
Cuisines: Australian, Pub, Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A lively GastroPub and grill with delicious cocktails and cold beer. Come in for dinner with the family of drinks with friends.
Reviewed 9 July 2018

Bar and restaurant downstairs. Great menu offering various options. Cocktail Bar and tapas style menu upstairs. Very cosy with very relaxing decor. Management and staff always willing to assist. Very good open kitchen, staff excellent in cooking, preparation and presentation. Alway visit on many trips to Sanur.

Malana v, Public Relations Manager at The Fire Station, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2018

Hi Carmel M,

Thank you so much! The upstairs cocktail bar Firefly has only just opened so its great to hear that you and your friends enjoyed it

It was a pleasure having you and we hope you come back soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,336)

Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

I’ve heard some negative and plenty of positive reviews about this place that I wanted to make sure it was one of the places we tried out while we were there, and boy it was worth it. Hubby had the ribs which did literally fall off the bone, my meal was fish chips and mushy peas was great and our friends enjoyed their ‘s just as much. Loved the pictures on the wall had fun working out the who’s and owner was kind enough to spare time having a chat. Well worth checking out!

It was lovely having you guys - please come back next time you're in Bali!

Reviewed 7 July 2018 via mobile

Stopped in for a drink on a shopping trip. Had a great espresso martini, great cosmopolitan, lemon lime bitters,onion rings and nachos.
Great fans, excellent music, exceptional toilets, friendly staff.
Will come back for dinner!

Hi onyacob,
Thanks for reviewing us! So happy you enjoyed everything, the espresso martini is one of our favourites too :)

Reviewed 3 July 2018

Finding ourselves hungry in the Sanur area, the wife and I popped into The Fire Station for lunch a few days ago. The place is nice, the pub's front opened out onto the street, which brings in a nice breeze. This area of Sanur doesn't bring a whole lot of folks walking by, so people watching is best saved for the customers in the pub.

My wife ordered the fish and chips. Batter was crispy and not too thick, but I'm not sure Mahi Mahi is a great choice, because it comes out too fishy. I still prefer the red snapper they use at Dijon (see my review). Chips were good, although not as generous as the serving size at Dijon.

Wife and I shared a Classic Caesar Salad, which was just okay. Croutons were crisp, as were the two slices of bacon. But the dressing lacked the umami flavor of anchovy.

I had a hankering for a burger, but got tempted by the description of their pork BBQ ribs as '12 hours slow-cooked'. That sounded like bbq in the American tradition, which I sorely miss. I should have ordered the burger.

Look, in the US, bbq means about 6 hours of indirect heat maintained at around 225 degrees F, using wood or charcoal as fuel. The result is tender, juicy rib meat with a smokey scent and flavor. I've had bbq ribs in humble shacks and almost posh restaurants from Virginia through Alabama, from Chicago to Kansas City to Memphis. When I was based Virginia, friends thought my slow-cooked ribs and pulled pork shoulder were pretty good too. I used a gas grill for ease, and hickory or mesquite chips for smoke, dry rubbed with Meathead's Memphis Dust rub (google it, you can thank me later), and mopped (just before finishing over direct heat) with Masterpiece sauce which I modify to add tang and chili heat. In other words, I know my way around a good slab of ribs.

The ribs placed before me were falling off the bone, which is often the result of either boiling or steaming. They lacked a porky flavor and felt a bit mushy as a result. Since these were 'slow-cooked over 12 hours', I'm guessing they were most likely oven baked in a pan sealed with aluminum foil. Basically, steamed. Texture is no different from Naughty Nuri's (see my review) which are boiled. Properly bbq'ed ribs will pull off the bone, but should still be slightly chewy.

I found the sauce too sweet, a bit cloying. Some may like it, but I prefer a tangy, smokey sauce, sweetness in the background and definitely capsaicin heat.

I'll be back if I find myself hungry in that section of Sanur, but will order an Aussie style burger (with fried egg). You can't mess up a burger, can you?

2  Thank buginmypants
Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

I had seen the reviews so we thought we would give it a try, we walked took us about 10 minutes from our hotel it is a modern place with a decent feel to it, we ordered couple of the Fire Station Burgers and I had the ribs, the burger is a proper meat burger and was very tasty the ribs had good flavour and were cooked well unfortunately not to my liking as the rib bones were small and not easy to eat with quite a lot of small pieces of bone in the meat that you pulled off, I think it may just have been mine as I saw a couple of other portions go out and there bones went back really clean.
Will probably try again

Malana v, Public Relations Manager at The Fire Station, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2018

Hi FarmshopJim,
So sorry about your ribs! The "fall off the bone ribs" are one of our most popular dishes and what you described is not our usual standard.
Give us a second chance and please let us know when you come back!