“Great location, rooms a bit dated”

Hotel Kumala Pantai
Ranked #29 of 251 Hotels in Kuta
Reviewed 2 October 2010

Stayed here for one night when the other hotel we had book (Four Seasons) messed up our reservation. The price was just over USD 100 per night room only We were surprised to get a mini suite with a large separate living room, good sized bedroom plus bathroom. The decor was however a bit dated and 1980s in style. The rooms were also very dark with few lights. I tried to turn on one table lamp and got a mild electric shock! Looked like dodgy wiring.

We ate at the hotel restaurant which is right on the wide pathway which runs alongside the beach so enjoyed amazing views of the suffers and the ocean. The food in the restaurant bizarrely seemed to be Italian themed but was fine and very good value.

The hotel wouldn't let us keep our room past midday even for a charge. Strangely they said that new people would be arriving and may need to be allocated to our room. The hotel seemed quiet so I doubt this was the truth. Anyway we waited out the time until our flight by the very large and very cold pool. There were plenty of sun loungers and a pool bar.

I think the best thing about the Kumala Pantai is its location on the beach yet close to all the shops/restaurants/bars in the town. At the right price I would be happy to stay again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank JJimBean

Reviewed 23 September 2010

I stayed 2nights, and previously booked directly with the hotel and paid in advance as there were during high season. Most rooms in the hotel were fully booked. As i arrived, the receptionist told that i would be checked in at 2pm. But till later than 2pm, my rooms ( i booked 2 rooms) weren't prepared and cleaned yet but they already sent me upstairs. We were very upset and complained with the receptionist, but they didn't care and pretended busy with their works. Until i asked for refund, then they sent someone to clean it. As I walked to the room, the hotel seemed a bit outdated, room is quite big, king size bed, but the floor is very sticky. Bathroom is large, with shower and bath tub separately. Hotel has 2 pools, quite big. The back side of the hotel is the legian beach, great spot there. A lot of cafe and restaurant along the way. The breakfast is okay, but not that great. Almost the same menus are served everyday, only one or two different meals. Great walk outside the hotel, a lot of shops along legian to seminyak area.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank N_end
Reviewed 29 August 2010

This was my 10th time in Bali and my 3rd time staying at KP for last 3 consecutive years. I cannot believe how much this hotel has declined in the 12 months that I was previously there in August 2009. Something must have happened with management etc, as the once smiling friendly staff are now down right rude and certainly not the happy, obliging staff that you come to expect after many trips to Bali.

I regularly read Tripadvisor, hence where I first read the great reviews about KP that made me go there in the first place. I must admit my first 2 times staying there were pleasant and would have to admit for the price this was a great value hotel and could not complain.
But, this place has gone downhill in the last 12 months big time!

Like I said the staff, especially staff in reception, restaurant, pool area are nothing short of being rude. The only staff that were ever friendly and smiling were the security staff at the front of the hotel, even if they didn't bother to check your bags when coming in!!
The hotel it would seem is in desperate need of a handyman, as everything around the place was simply (broken)!

Lets start at the reception area. On arrival don't expect any smiles, welcome drink, cold towel etc as per other hotels, just tired unfriendly faces in a clustered lobby full of grotesque statues. Then move onto the pool area, chairs around pool bar- broken, sun lounges- broken, sun umbrellas- broken, TV at pool bar- broken. You practically have to set your alarm for 6.00am to get up and put something on a sun lounge so you can guarantee a spot by the pool. People would leave shorts, books etc on lounges at early hours and sometimes not return for hours later, this is a rule the hotel must look into as it is not fair to have sun lounges "saved" in this way. For the first couple of days just put up with it and went to the beach instead, but in the end thought if we couldn't beat them we'd have to join them and started leaving stuff on the lounges as well, I mean to say we were also on holiday and wanted to get a lounge around the pool!! Try to get a towel at the pool, get in early, or else simply told "none left". Try to get some service at the pool bar, be prepared to wait, would be quicker to help yourself . Try to get a smile from any staff member around the pool, forget it! The pool hours are supposed to be from 9.00am till 6.30pm, but there was always people splashing about as early as 6.00am and into the early hours of the morning without anyone monitoring it. If you stay in the rooms overlooking the pool area be prepared to be woken at these times.

The staff at the restaurant, breakfast area, once again, rude, rude, rude! The coffee machine broke down, the toaster broke down, no back up machines or even a sorry, just told "broken". One man on egg station, expect to wait in line for good 10 minutes, breakfast basic for Bali standard and cereal choice is cornflakes, cornflakes or cornflakes!

Rooms, good quality for the price even if the so called "new wing" is now looking as tired and worn out as the "old wing". Linen and towels disgusting, stained and grey colored, towels in particular very poor quality. No new soap, shower caps in room when cleaned unless you happened to be there and ask for it.

If you want the true friendly experience of Bali I would advise you stay elsewhere. Although this hotel is in a great location with good restaurants and the beach just out the back of the hotel and shops etc out the front if you want an overall friendly Bali experience pay a little bit extra and stay somewhere else, myself and other regulars at KP have noticed the difference and will be staying elsewhere from now on.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank scamppy
Reviewed 30 July 2010

This hotel actually have an average room, average food, average service - but it provide what you like to do when you are in Bali - like beach, restaurant that located next to the street to watch people, many coffee shops and restaurant, pool that is not crowded, and sunset when you have your coffee.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank upiafifuddin
Reviewed 23 July 2010

My 12yr son and I stayed at the KP for 2 nights on way to Gili T and then 7 nights after that trip after recommendations from TA. When we arrived at night, I was overwhelmed by the enormous dark wooden foyer filled with giant, weird statues including a 4metre high replica of 'the thinker'.

On the way to our room second floor B block, there were even more massive statues and over our bed a giant island style painting of a young girl. Enough about the art, the room was a bit dark - no overhead light and with 3 lamps. Thought - I have chosen wrong hotel!

Next morning we had the buffet brek which son loved (pancakes, wedges, croissants, fried rice for him - toast, omelette and fresh fruit and yogurt for me) and it was great being on the beachfront. I was still thinking we will stay somewhere else after Gili as hotel is pretty big and full of big loud Aussie family groups plus the statues but then we went to the pool. It was so lovely. Enormous, clean and not too crowded. I even grew to like the gold 15 metre dragon and chariot statue that was its central feature! So we returned after Gili T.

this time we were put in A block in a room on top 3rd floor that looked directly over the pool and the gold chariot. It was so much better as it got lots of natural light, The NS and B blocks don't and also overlook the pathway to beach so no real aspect.

The rooms are pretty roomy, nice balcony and bathroom. We found the staff great. Really friendly and professional. The restaurant was pretty good and cheap. Great pizza. Banana juices. Ate there a lot as it was easy. For $100AUD a night I thought it was great value. I felt really safe there the security was really tight at both entrances. Son loved cartoon network, pool, food. I loved being able to leave him to go for a beach swim or shop. Free wifi in resto and in room $7 for 2 hours.

Wished they had overhead lights, some grassy areas, massage by pool, a few less giant statues! However would stay there again as it's quite peaceful safe and great value.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank kob
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuta
0.1 km away
Kuta Paradiso Hotel
#41 of 251 in Kuta
0.2 km away
The Camakila Legian Bali

Been to Hotel Kumala Pantai? Share your experiences!