“A disappointment!”

Tanaya Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 282 Kuta B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 October 2017

I stayed for 4 nights as a solo traveler in September 2017. A few incidents put me off from this hotel:
- For starters, the hotel did not reply back on time for my request for an airport pick up (around over 24 hours before landing time) and i had to take a taxi to the hotel.
- Upon arrival, the receptionist was trying to charge my card (4 times!) with the machine saying it is not working but i checked with my bank and it turned out the money was taken the four times. He insisted the problem was with the card not the machine (i used this card for 3 weeks in Asia with zero problems) until i got him the transaction approval codes from my bank. I asked him to resolve the issue with his bank to not withdraw the money and i will be paying in cash. Given the accounting team were on their lunch break, the issue took a couple of hours during which he was reluctant to give me my room and insisted on taking my passport hostage, when i insisted to check in, as if I will run away!!
- The language barrier from the staff is the worst i have seen in both Nepal and Bali over 3 weeks. Their English is not good at all to the extent that you can ask them a "what do i do in ...?" and their reply is "yes"!! After several times trying to communicate over different things, it got me so frustrated that i completely avoided speaking to the staff.
- I wanted to book a boat from Kuta to Gili and i read online it is cheaper to book when you get there. I asked the receptionist when i was checking in and he was like "no it will be much more expensive if we book it for you. it is better you book online" with a very dismissive attitude as if he does not want to help. I did book online but later i figured i booked it much more expensive than i would have if i booked in kuta
- You are always warned to take an authentic Bluebird metered taxi and there are others that try to imitate how it looks. The first day i asked the security guy of the hotel to stop me a bluebird. He stopped a Bali Taxi and tried to convince me it is an authentic bluebird. Luckily i knew the difference and refused to get it. Afterwards i stopped by own taxis.

Apart from those incidences, and more, here is some more feedback:
- I was in a double room. It is quite small with the bathroom opened in the room (not separated area with a door). There is no wardrobe. A small shelf i used to put my stuff. The bed was clean and comfortable though
- The walls are so thin i would be hearing everything in the next room (as in when he/she unzipped his/her bag i heard that!)
- breakfast is very good with a variety to choose from. the terrace in which you have breakfast is nice.
- the overall decor of the hotel is modern and i liked it

The location: the reason i booked this hotel was the location. I was mistaken. It is not the best in this area. It is extremely crowded to go from/to the hotel to any other place (half hour additional at least). I thought Legian street was where the nice nightlife is and hence wanted to stay close. I went to the bars on the street once and did not like it. It is as if it is the dodgy side of Bali. Seminyak is much much better and i ended up going there every night for clubs and bars there.

The only reason i did not move out from the hotel from the first night was they charged me in full upon check in. I would not recommend. I am sure there are better hotels for less or same price.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank ETW_04
dedaun, Resident Manager at Tanaya Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

dedaun, Resident Manager at Tanaya Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review
Dear ETW_04,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your 4 nights stay at our hotel. Your reviews are always valued and acknowledged by all of our team members for our improvement in the future.

Kindly to informed you our hotel policy, full room charge should be settled upon check in and regarding your credit card, our receptionist tried to charge 2 types of your
credit card because the result was fail. We had informed you and gave the bank slip proof to clarify that the transaction fail.

We never give a rude attitude and treating our guest impolite way, that is why we are concern upon reading your feedback regarding the treatment you received from our team. We will look into it from many vantage points and investigate your report. Rest assured, no such rude behavior will be tolerated in our hotel.

We hope this clarifies matters. We appreciate your sharing and concerns and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Best Regards,

Dewi Artini

Resident Manager

Reviewed 21 September 2017

Tanaya is very good overall. We stayed a total of six nights. The location is close to lots of good food, such as Mama's German Restaurant, and many mini markets are very close by. The deluxe room is good, nice comfort beds and linen. The less cost standard room I seen was not that much smaller, and seems to be the better deal.

The bathroom is nice, real good design for small area. The shower water pressure and temperature though was wonky to say the least. It took a long time to get hot water, and then the temp changed a lot, which meant a lot of fiddling of the knob to adjust it. Clearly the water system is not well designed to cope with amount of rooms and water usage demands. Often during the daytime the shower was not much more than dribbling. I can only presume the water piping diameter is too small and / or the pump system is not big enough.

I was surprised by the many TV channels, many movie and sports channels, and several languages as German, French, even Russian. We watched a few good movies.

The room service food menu is not much but it is tasty. I had the nasi goreng which was very good, the portion a bit small but was low cost. There is no hot water kettle in the room. There are so many shops are nearby it was not a problem to be without the kettle.

The staff were mostly very nice, esp Zul was ever so helpful and such a nice person. Thank you Zul ! Housecleaning staff do a very good job, the rooms are kept very clean. Since we most often do not want daily cleaning - the staff changed towels every day.

Wifi was disappointing to say the least, very slow, very weak signal. We had to log in over and over again as the signal dropped.

Tanaya is very good value. If they fix the wifi and water system - then it's superb value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has better wifi
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Tanaya is located at the heart of busy Legian, within walking distance to the beach. Convenient shops, souvenir shops, spas, restaurants are nearby. There are also cheaper local food options off the side roads of Legian, just 5-8 mins' walk again.

The room is generally clean and bed comfortable. The floor is slightly dusty but since I am using a pair of slipper in the room, it is ok. Amenities are basic, you can pay to top up what you need such as toothbrush. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is acceptable, we were given a menu to choose our main course.

One thing to highlight is, we find thin and small earthworms coming out of the gaps of the shower area. Consider covering up the gaps around the walls of the shower .

We will definitely recommend Tanaya to any travellers who are looking for a budget yet comfortable stay!

Stayed: September 2017
Tanaya B, Resident Manager at Tanaya Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Dear Si J,

Warmest greetings from Tanaya Bed & Breakfast,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your valuable feedback. We will definitively continue to improve our product and service to a high level of satisfaction to all our customer.

On behalf of all team, We would like to have an early opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Best Regards

Dewi Artini
Resident Manager

Reviewed 21 July 2017

The time we realised we would have separated bathroom after we booked this place, we were like," Oh no!! What have we done??!!" . However, we eventually surrendered to our faith due to our mistake for choosing the kind of room and thought for the best. So, we were surprised to received 2 keys (1 for our room and 1 for our bathroom).Apparently, the separated bathroom was a private one and it was very nice and clean.Yay! The interior of the hotel was nice, the breakfast was great and yum! plus the connection was good too. The friendly and helpful staffs are definitely another great point. We would really think to come back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: The rooms of the hotel can be accessed by stairs only. (at least that's what we knew)
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2017

This is so good to be true, this cheap hotel provide expensive benefit: clean room, nice staff, perfect location in the centre of legian.. is like having 5 stars hotel with affordable, i mean cheap price

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Tiket.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuta
0.1 km away
The ONE Legian
#36 of 88 in Legian
0.9 km away
Samsara Inn by Lingga Murti

Been to Tanaya Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!