The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai
US$80
US$70
Agoda.com
Treebo Simap Residency(Madurai)(Great Value!)
US$44
US$28
US$64
US$59
1,194 results
All reviewssmall hillpeacocks roaminghill overlookingtaj grouphill topmain buildingentire citycolonial stylehill stationold world charmbeautiful propertycity viewmeenakshi templeexecutive roomswimming poolmemorable stayrooms are large
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I was in Madurai, to kick-start my journey to the much fabled Chettinad cuisines, culture and mansions. Hackneyed with the over-peppered, artificial-color loaded dishes all over other parts of India bragging their Chettinad roots, this foodie has finally arrived to where it all began! Mark and I, we are exceptions to the Indian myth that says Westerners can't eat spicy food. We can, LOADS! And what better place to start than Madurai, bursting with its no-nonsense Chettinad Messes? Two parties enjoy a distinct fanfare in this historic city, the three-breasted consort of Siva, Meenakshi Amman who resides in the towering Kovil (temple) and is a tutelary deity of the city; and of course the mutton – every part of which is a delicacy here. I mean, the brain, intestine, hooves, tongue….err, surely you understand.

The first thing we did was run towards Amma Mess, one of the city’s most prominent restaurants. After ordering items that could put an army troop to shame, I locked quizzical eyes with Mark, instantly when the waiter appeared out of thin air and showers us a toothy smile saying, ‘Sir, Ghee?’

The comfort factor in Hot Madurai with Hot Food was the Gateway Hotel, a perfectly beautiful colonial bungalow reminding you strongly of British Raj. The 63-roomed property offers comfy rooms, and a beautiful view. Now that I am recollecting, even the food at Gateway was spectacular! Thanks to the quiet, peace and nice aircodintioning - we were at a haven in between our extreme gluttony sojourn.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Siddharth_Jain1, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this reviewResponded 6 days ago

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel, Pasumalai Madurai!
We are delighted to receive the review of your wonderful stay with us. It is indeed a team effort with an unwavering goal towards guest satisfaction, which constantly motivates us to be on our toes.
I am happy to note that the services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction. Our endeavour is to ensure each guest is given a wonderful experience.
Looking forward to your continued patronage and assuring you of the very best in hospitality in the true Taj tradition, always.

Siddharth Jain

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Nestled in the heart of the city attorney a private Hill is this eighteenth candidate British buns bullied for the Head homo of y textile company Madura Coats.

It is a 63 room property work most from according a beautiful view of the city from a height. The rolls are colonial and the feel of the hotel is resort like. The service is impeccable and the food delicious. Rooms do suffer a sense of weariness and facilities are also weather and time beaten but the place had a quaint charm and the unique Taj hospitality

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Gaexplorer
Prakash_Nair1, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Guest,
Greetings from The Gateway Hotel, Madurai!
I take this opportunity to thank you for being a valued patron and happy to know that you
liked the service and property. Let me assure you that we will certainly work on the
feedback provided to the best of our abilities.
Thanking you and assuring you of our best services at all times.
Warm regards

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The hotel is located on a hill and gives you a sense of peacefulness (which you will need when you visit chaotic Madurai). The rooms are spacious and the service is top notch. The Wi-Fi works without any problems through out the resort. The best thing about the resort are the grounds. They are kept clean and the peacocks definitely add to beauty of the resort. The staff (every single one of them) is super friendly and always eager to help. They arranged a tasty cake for my dad's 75th birthday and I can't thank them enough. Definitely recommend a stay here if you have a special occasion to celebrate.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Sushant N

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel, Pasumalai Madurai!

I am so pleased to hear that you cherish your experience with us and I am glad to note that the overall quality of services and facilities at the hotel measured up to your expectation appreciate the caring and personalized service offered to you by my team of dedicated staff.

Your kind words of appreciation are a generous source of motivation and encouragement for us to continue offering superior value and consistent service to all our guests.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back at The Gateway Hotel, Pasumalai Madurai for many more enriching moments to come.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The most beautiful place, what we didn't expect in Madurai City.
This is our first year annual budget meeting, everyone in our team really impressed with your service and food. Mr.Ramesh(F&B) & Chef Suresh, treated us well. Really we enjoyed this visit. Really we recommend to our clients.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel, Pasumalai Madurai!

I would like to thank you for being a valued patron and write to you in reference to your feedback regarding your stay at The Gateway Hotel, Pasumalai, Madurai.

It is the feedback from our esteemed and valued guests which gives us an opportunity to further enhance and refine our processes to achieve customer delight.We share your valuable comments to Mr. Ramesh , Suresh and team.

We look forward to welcome you back as and when you plan your next visit to our hotel.

Thanking you and assuring you of our best services at all times.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

An excellent hotel on a hilltop - probably a British times Viceroy level building converted to a hotel.
Has all the feelings of the colonial era, so those who know about it will enjoy it.
Large rooms
Dressing room with Toilet
Well laid out
Fruits in the room
Colonial era walls, windows and doors.
Large area of 63 acres, full of open areas and dozens of peacockss
Excellent food

Now something not so good
1. Need to be prepared to go up and down quite a lot for food, walk etc
2. While food was excellent the restaurant staff was kind of new or less trained. They took a lot of time to serve, and often would disappear and need reminders. Room staff was exceptionally courteous and appeared very well trainied.

Not so easy on the pocket. Good room and sumptuous meals could cost you about Rs 15,000 - Rs 20,000 a day (high GST included)

All in all, if you have the budget and are looking for an upper crust experience, there is no other choice in Madurai. The hotel will give you all the pleasure and peace you would be looking for in a travel. Else at lower levels there are dozens of hotels. If on a business visit you may not have the time to enjoy this hotel. So keep this hotel for your vacation trip

Room Tip: Ask for a room at a higher level. Being a hilltop, there are rooms at various levels
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple