“Will Never Ever Forget the Sher bagh!”
Review of Sher Bagh

Sher Bagh
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Sawai Madhopur
Montreal
“Will Never Ever Forget the Sher bagh!”
Reviewed 5 August 2011

The Sher Bagh was everything I hoped for and more: the tents, service, surroundings and location. I don't like Indian food so was not enamoured with dinner which always consisted of an Indian meal but my partner found it to be very good. I was kindly provided with pasta instead which was a great relief for me. The other meals, which were non-Indian, were wonderful. Loved the area where we ate breakfast and lunch out in the open but surrounded by tents and vegetation.

As for the tent, it was done in a style that I would call British colonial India with dark woods and a coziness that was extremely inviting. Air conditioning during the day was provided by a fan in our tent which I found perfectly fine. Returning to the tent after dinner, everything was ready for a good night's sleep. Exterior door flaps were untied, mosquito netting was in place around the bed area (I should also mention that malaria pills are adviseable for Ranthambore Park ), a hot water bottle was warming up the bed (it gets quite chilly at night in March), and a heater was going. The bathroom was a good size and had a good shower with robes provided for afterwards.

During the day, when not on safari, I would sit on the small verandah of our tent which had a table and two chairs and contemplate the surroundings which were lush and well cared for- both the tame and the wilder parts. I loved walking around the grounds, birdwatching. Lots and lots of birds just around the camp.There was also a langur monkey that would sit up in the same tree every morning near the tents. Don't worry. He or she never came down.

There are not many tents and so there is a fair amount of privacy. The tents are situated in the form of a crescent with good spacing between them. In the evenings, everyone gathered, on chairs in a circle around a fire, for a drink with the assistant manager, Alessandra, and the manager,Yusuf Ansari, a writer and historian, and also very involved in the ongoing conservation work in Ranthambore Park. (Any questions you have about the history of India or conservation efforts, Yusuf is the man to ask. ) When guests were ready to eat, out came small tables on which a colorful Indian meal was placed for each guest.

The service is absolutely perfect. Alessandra, the asistant manager, was amazing. When I mentionned that I was looking for a certain book on Birds in India, she took the information and next thing I knew, she had contacted a bookstore in New Delhi and arranged for me to pick the book up upon our return to Delhi. When I did visit the bookstore (a good one at Khan Market in Delhi), I also picked up a book about Sonia Gandhi written by Yusuf, the manager. All I can say is, you would be hard-pressed to find a more exceptional team than these two.

As for the safaris, the park is very close by and the landscape in the park is quite varied. There are many birds and animals so that if you don't see a tiger, you still come away very satisfied. I should mention, however, that in March, you come back from safaris covered in the park's fine red dirt. Also, you have to dress warmly in the morning as it really is chilly, despite having a hot water bottle under your bum. I wore a hat and down vest and was not sorry. It does eventually warm up and by the afternoon, it was very hot.
On the safaris, if a tiger is spotted, the guide lets all the other guides know so that the tiger may end up surrounded by a circle of jeeps and cantors ( which seat approx. 16 people). Note also that once you've booked your seat, it can't be changed. The park (in accordance with government requirements) is very strict as to who enters the park.

There is also a pool at the Sher Bagh which looked really nice, but I didn't have time to try it. Note that two safaris a day can keep you pretty busy.

To sum it up, given the chance, I would return to the Sher Bagh in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank HayKay

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
London
Reviewed 29 May 2011

We stayed at Sher Bagh during our recent trip to India. We were warmly welcomed by the assistant manager Alessandra who informed us that we were going to be the only guests that night (due to a scheduling of parties) – wow, the whole place to ourselves – fantastic! Our dinner was set up by candlelight in the bar where we were presented with a delicious traditional Indian meal. Breakfast was a good selection of fruit and cereals and cooked breakfast of choice – we opted for the delicious banana pancakes. The camp is wonderful and while providing a camping experience also provides you with all of the “mod cons”. Everywhere we turned we found little “surprises” which I won’t tell you about as that would spoil it – suffice to say they were lovely touches. Our main reason for being in Ranthambore was to see the famous tigers. We were lucky to see a tiger in the long grass twenty minutes into our first drive. Unfortunately we did not see another during our next two drives but there are other interesting animals and birds in the park – although the game is not as plentiful as you would find on an African safari. Sher Bagh is a wonderfully run camp and the staff could not do enough for us. I highly recommend this camp – you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank luv2travel50London
UK
Reviewed 26 April 2011

It's a whole hotel room in a tent! This place is fantastic. There are only a dozen or so luxury tents, each with AC (which is remarkably effective and completely essential - it was touching 42c) and a fitted bathroom, so the place has an intimate feel. The staff are extremely helpful and the service is verging on perfect - the early morning wake up call with coffee and biscuits before your game drive, the cooled drinks in the back of the jeep, afternoon tea - all great. This is also pretty much the closest place to Ranthambore national Park, so a great base for game drives. Food was fantastic. Surprisingly, they serve Italian at lunch (though it was very good, and well suited to the weather) and local cuisine in the evening - available by the campfire. All in all, very hard to find fault. OK, the pool is very small (but then we weren't there for swimming and sunbathing), the AC is noisy at night and it's not cheap (good things rarely are). I would completely recommend Sher Bagh for anyone visiting Ranthambore and looking for a quiet luxury retreat.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I have just spent three wonderful nights at Sher Bagh and what a treat it was.

The camp has so much magic, all brought to life by the wonderful staff - they give lunch by the pool, dinner by the fire, breakfast under the trees - nothing is to much trouble.

The Tents are air-conditioned and more then comfortable, listening to the noise of the indian jungle at night - it dose not get better then this.

Spa treatments well worth having very well priced, left me feeling amazing.

Crisp white linen, superb service there is nothing left for you to want for.

I will be going back.

oh how could i forget the tigers! amazing - see photos!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank findanamenotused
New Castle, Delaware
Reviewed 3 April 2011

No standing around at a check in counter, you will find a waiter with drinks on a tray standing by the car you arrive in, and they take you directly to your tent. All that passport stuff can be handled later for you. The restricted numbers of private jeeps allowed in the park? No problem if you stay here, even last minute. Child tried of Indian food? They made a grilled cheese. Loved that soup at lunch and the chicken dish you had in Delhi? Just ask. This is basically your private chef. Feel like eating over there under that tree near the pool instead of the dining tent? A table with fine linens will appear within minutes.
Stepping out of your tent at night you will instantly find someone with a flashlight aimed at the path before your feet walking discreetly along to the side. Rang the butler bell by the bed to get pencil and paper to score a game of gin. Never had a butler bell before, and paper was in a leather folder with a fine writing pen.
It was a surprise to be presented with a bill upon checkout with steep prices for every bottle of Perrier and glass of wine, but you aren't on a budget if you stay here anyway. I would have liked a dresser with a few drawers for my clothes instead of just a rack, but I must admit I didn't ask for one. I'm sure it would have been provided.

Room Tip: There are only 12 tents, so there is no bad room