All reviewsrooftop restaurantexecutive roomholy menthe cliffreception staff areswimming pool is smalllive counterbreakfast spreadroom amenitieshotel is locatedsea viewcomplimentary breakfastpool manexcellent hoteldosain house restaurantair conditioning
Reviewed 21 May 2018

I checked into the hotel on 13th may 2018, room 202.
Vipin was very nice I was running very late as it was raining, and he was kind enough to call and ask how I was doing, very nice of them, they stated that not to rush as it was late in the evening and to come slowly they would keep dinner for us. Which they did., brilliant.
It was pretty good food.
Morning Breakfast is a great spread, eggs to order, dosa, idly, corn flakes, 2 juices, and about 4 other hot dishes
Lunch was very good, they have steaks here and they have their very own bar, which meant I was able to have a beer/hot drinks while having lunch over looking the sea.
Dinner also brilliant.

I realized that for the 3 days it stayed at the hotel I went out only once.
The good part of the hotel is the closeness to the beach, it is the only one in varkala which has a swimming pool and the beach is just next to it.
They have private parking as well for my car to be parked.
I had the most amazing time, my kids really enjoyed the pool it was very clean and they provided towels by the pool. It felt like I was at a 4 star resort,
I got a good deal from Make My Trip, which gave me 3 nights and 2 meals per day and we were a family of 4(2 adults + 2 kids), came to about 7,500 total including taxes. Which I felt was a good deal, especially what we ordered, I belive I saved a lot of money and for excellent quality.
The rooms were nice, the mini bar was well stocked., It was a proper vacation, there was no need to go out and look for food, I was as lazy as I could be with the kids. It was just amazing.

Room Tip: room 202 standard room, central A/c
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
hindretreat, Manager at Hindustan Beach Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2018

Greetings from Hindustan Beach Retreat, Varkala

At the onset we are most delighted to note that you had a wonderful experience in our hotel and would like to thank you for letting us know how impressed you were with the services offered by our team during your stay.

We are glad to understand that our product and services exceeded your expectations. My team and I look forward to welcome you back for many more enriching moments.

Assuring you of our best services at all times.

Regards,

Reviewed 10 May 2018 via mobile

The suite is decent with a wonderful view but that’s where it ends . The buffet is insufficient, restaurants dirty , staff impolite and only trying to pursue you for tips . The beach is dirty but the pool
Is well maintained . The kids pool and pool changing rooms are a nightmare though

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2018 via mobile

Well managed hotel, polite and helpful staff. Cleanliness is below average. For the price being charged, the complimentary breakfast was not up to the mark.
The rooms offered panaromic view of the sea from the window.
The Papanasam beach where the hotel is located isn't very clean because of a temple in proximity and people coming there for some rituals.
So we spent most of our time in the pool which was clean.
Lunch and dinner that we ordered was fairly good. Overall we had a comfortable stay.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
hindretreat, Manager at Hindustan Beach Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2018

Greetings from Hindustan Beach Retreat, Varkala

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and we are truly glad that you have chosen our hotel for your holiday.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and we are humbled by your gracious compliments on the hotel. I have discussed your concern on breakfast and cleanliness to the concerned and will do the needful.

It was a pleasure for us to be at your service and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Thanks and Regards,

Reviewed 27 April 2018

It's the worst stay of my trip in India. This hotel may look good in pictures but it is really run down, it needs maintainance. It is also very dirt: you find food on the floor restaurant outside lunch or dinner time, the room was extremely dirt: we had to ask to change bed lined because it was full of something yellow. There are insects in the room. Breakfast is really basic ad with low quality.
Service is extremely bad: no one really care.
The pool is very small.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Pereppo
hindretreat, Manager at Hindustan Beach Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

Dear Guest,

First of all i want to thank you for choosing Hindustan Beach Retreat for your stay at Varkala.

I had gone through your comment and do accept my most sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused. The experiences you have described are not characteristics of the service Hindustan Beach Retreat strives to provide its patrons.

Your feedback has been shared with the team and we will ensure that this matter is addressed and necessary actions have been taken to ensure such instances do not recur.

We sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to showcase our hospitality.

My Team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again

Regards,

Reviewed 22 April 2018

Had a bunch of office colleagues of nationalities other than Indian, together for a short trip to Kerala. We had propogated Kerala as Gods Own Country. Yes. the natural beauty and potential is there for everyone to see. its the small matters which spoil the overall impression.
HBR is really located by the beach and has a naturally beautiful ambience. Wish they would take a little more care to clean up the sorrounding of the hotel premises.I will detail this at the end. First the good things.
The rooms are sufficiently large and well done. Nice balcony with a view of the maginificnet Arabian Sea.
The reception staff are very eager to please.
The breakfast spread was good. So was the dinner buffet they served us.
The rooftop also doubles up as a bar and they have an open balcony looking at the sea. Soulful sound of the waves while you are sipping beer. Divine. We even had divine intervention with an hour long thunderstorm, alongwith lightning and thunder and heavy rains.
A bunch of young boys and girls from the North East of India to serve at the bar are really sweet and helpful. (Sad reality of the state of Kerala. Unionism should be banned. These workshirking politicians and unions must be removed if the state has to see progress.)

The swimming pool is best avoided. The water is near stagnant. Noticed that the water does not get recirculated. Argument could be that y use the pool when you have the Arabian Sea just a few feet away!!
The beach itself is pretty clean, but for the flowers and other offerings made after teh religious rites performed there. If only the authorities would shift these rites a little to the right or left of the entrance to the beach. It would be so much more cleaner and easier to access.

Did spot a few cockroaches near the wall unit in the room.

With the consistent power outages, the hotel generator is surely overworked. However, having a Make-before-Break circuit should not be so difficult. the changeover happened with momentary darkness through the night.

Room Tip: Sea view ofcourse. Higher floors might be a good option, with a view of the sunset.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank sandycool69
hindretreat, Manager at Hindustan Beach Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hindustan Beach Retreat, Varkala and writing a wonderfully detailed review of your experience with us.

We are glad to know that you had a great stay with us and enjoyed the ambience, rooms, restaurant and food & hospitality of our team members but are really sorry to know about the presence of Cockroaches in the room. We have taken the issue really seriously and have taken corrective measures to rectify the complain so that it will not happen again in the future. Regarding your concern on the hygiene and cleanliness of the pool kindly be noted that our pool is closed every day from 7 Pm in the Evening till 8 Am in the morning next day for routine cleaning. Hence there is nothing to be concerned about the cleanliness of the pool.

Once again, Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we shall look forward to Welcome you back to Hindustan Beach Retreat, Varkala soon.

Warm Regards,