“The boat trips are quite a distance from any animal sightings”
Review of Periyar Lake

and up
4-Night Best of Kerala Tour
Ranked #5 of 41 things to do in Thekkady
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Perhaps we had been spoiled by a wonderful boat safari in Nagahole National Park, but this one seemed poor in comparison.

We were booked into the upper deck of a smaller boat, which was maintained well. However, the commentary was so muffled, we couldn't hear anything said. The bird life was quite varied and good, but any sightings of elephant and deer seemed to be in areas that were a long way off from the boat - very disappointing. The naturalist guides did help to point things out (however, one of them kept taking my camera off me and shooting lots of videos and taking pictures). I know he mean't well, but I felt I was in control of my camera.

The lake itself was very pretty, and I'm sure I would have been more enthusiastic if I hadn't had the much more personal and intimate trip (of only 10 people) before. This trip must have had around 100 people on our "small" boat. Its a very commercial operation.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,751)
All reviews
"scenic beauty"
in 17 reviews
"long queue"

Reviewed 5 April 2018

The place is too good and maintained well. We had booked boating for morning session. Animal sighting was less this time, but the place was too good. People interested in Birds photography will really enjoy the place.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

A lake into the jungle has always been my most favorite place to be at. Periyar lake is immensely beautiful.

One need to book the bus tickets at tourist centre placed near Elephant camp. The timings are pre-scheduled (The first boat is 7:00am and the last one is at 3:30pm). This ticket is just for the to and fro by bus and the park entry. The fee is nominal. (The car parking is nearby this counter).

It takes roughly 20 minutes to reach to the lake entry/ boat station point. Go through the cue and then one can buy tickets for the boat ride. Mostly they place bigger groups in big (two decks) boats and others in small boat. Both are fun. The ride time is roughly an hour.

We saw many animals during the boat journey. Bison, wild boars, deers. One of the most memorable place.

When on the small boat, please do not move from your seats while the boat is sailing. It may be dangerous.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

The site is nice but we saw no animals except birds. Considering we had to Wake up at 5 and access to the Park is expensive, it was dissapointing.