This was our fourth visit and, sadly, not the best. Whilst overall standards remain high, we were disappointed by a number of aspects. A short bare foot walk from the poolside to our nearby room left our feet so black that even a prolonged scrub failed to get them clean. And the pool attendant gave us about the most dour, unsmiling welcome we’ve known anywhere in India. Also the service in the Waterfront cafe was maddeningly slow and erratic, especially at breakfast, when we arrived first but found ourselves served last with some items and only then when we reminded the waiters. And getting coffee cups refilled was truly painful. The waiters all tend to huddle together behind the desk staring vacantly towards the tables without noticing customers trying to attract some attention. The restaurant manager has changed since last year and this may account for the decline. Moreover, if you’re going to offer something ambitious like Eggs Benedict, at least make an effort to get it right without cooking the eggs to “hard boiled” dryness.
Against these things, the General Manager went out of his way to assist on occasions and the dinner in the History restaurant was world-class Michelin star-worthy. Odd though that it styles itself in terms of “history” with antique effect menus when the food is strikingly modern in style.
We took a look at the nearby Old Harbour Hotel and thought it looked excellent, whilst also being cheaper. Maybe next time?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This CGH Earth property is moored on a historic stretch of Cochin's famed harbour , The Brunton Boatyard Hotel was resurrected from the remains of a Victorian shipyard. Today, it gives the modern traveller a unique opportunity to dwell amidst the shadow plays of 19th century history. Living All of the Brunton Boatyard Hotel's 22 rooms overlook the sea, and so, by happy circumstance, do the en-suite bathrooms. Dining The Brunton Boatyard Hotel is your chance to dine from, literally, a melting pot. All the cultures that came to the Malabar Coast over three centuries can be sampled in a single evening. Discovering Armed with a map and some comfortable footwear, you can tour the historic Fort Cochin area where the hotel stands. Sadly, little remains of the fort itself, but the other legacies of history are everywhere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Hotels.com so you can book your Brunton Boatyard reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Brunton Boatyard Hotel Kochi (Cochin)
- Brunton Boatyard Kochi (Cochin), India - Kerala
- Brunton Boatyard Cochin