Greated by a most beautiful old 1930's looking, courtyard reception with rooms with atmosphere that took you back when people had tea inIndia with perhaps a Gin & Tonic, (quinine) ....
Here was a setting for another 'rome with a view' ala India...
We were greeted and shown to an period style room all befitting of the hotel style ...made you smile when you entered.
We were asked if we were dinning in the hotel and recommended to the terrace restaurant that evening..we had the hotel make the reservation.
we dressed and left the room to dicover this terrace restaurant with great anticipation of something new.....
We were shown to our table by our restaurant manager hi apperance was a young handsom man of mid 30's who asked if i had a reservation when i said yes ,he took my word for it...no problem.
we sat at the table and looked over a boat docking station that every 15 mins a new arrival of passengers would enter this dockside disembark wait for new pasengers to fill ( an old war Landing craft) that took them with vans bikes and busses away from the shore and off to another destination not far away..no sooner had this departed when another craft arrived and did the same allover again........One big thing the noise of the boat craft people carrier..passenger boat was deafening it had no silencer on its engine and roared itself away from the shore every time it had to leave. Great sound for a romantic evening ....
Whilst we were settling down and very aware of these boats comming and going and the noise....we had not noticed that we had not recieved any table attention for at least the first twenty mins'..why i do not know but ther were ten tablesandonly six occupied waiters running up an down and the resuarant man'was helping a table take some pictures...35mins still no service...no menue to look at no water nobread actually NOTHING..45mins i'm begining to blow a fuse... a few waves at the waiters get ignored....
eventually the manager and i came to verble blows and we had dinner...good start?
Food ...fish ...Lobster Bisk the best highly recomend..
The following day we toured Cochin Jewish Quarter the very early settlement of the Jewish traders in this part of India...apparently still tresured by the locals and by the indian kings for the legacy of thes highly educated highly respected jewish settlers...we visited the oldest Synagouge in India a building with a magnificent atmospher of history and worship..messmorising.... loved it its a must.
We were with a driver who insisted that we meet with an old lady shop keeper by the name of Sarah Cohen.. the most charming indian Jewish mother that i have ever come across..steeped in her own history with a thousand stories to tell ..as lively as an 18 year old looking 21 somebody whispered (.......over 80) we bought every thing we could buy from this lady books on the history of the Jews in cochin etc etc she obliged by signing with 'Love & Kisses'
Sarah Cohen...Cochin 2012.
After we drove away back to our hotel and another terrace dinner..with the compliments of the hotel...very kind very correct...but i would have prefered ...just dinner not war..
We left the following day for Kerrala by basket Boat....'Romantic as hell'
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This CGH Earth property is moored on a historic stretch of Cochin's famed harbour , The Brunton Boatyard Hotel was resurrected from the remains of a Victorian shipyard. Today, it gives the modern traveller a unique opportunity to dwell amidst the shadow plays of 19th century history. Living All of the Brunton Boatyard Hotel's 22 rooms overlook the sea, and so, by happy circumstance, do the en-suite bathrooms. Dining The Brunton Boatyard Hotel is your chance to dine from, literally, a melting pot. All the cultures that came to the Malabar Coast over three centuries can be sampled in a single evening. Discovering Armed with a map and some comfortable footwear, you can tour the historic Fort Cochin area where the hotel stands. Sadly, little remains of the fort itself, but the other legacies of history are everywhere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Ebookers, Agoda and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Brunton Boatyard reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Brunton Boatyard Hotel Kochi (Cochin)
- Brunton Boatyard Kochi (Cochin), India - Kerala
- Brunton Boatyard Cochin