All reviews fort cochin boutique hotel huge bathroom pool area is small hotel colonial building old colonial no alcohol first floor we loved our stay lovely room chinese fishing nets main building rooms are spacious hot water pleasant stay india
Reviewed 25 April 2018

I booked in here because I wanted the comfort and ambience of a hotel in a Colonial building here in Old Cochin. And I wanted to swim! I made an excellent choice.

My room, Calicut, was attractive, welcoming and comfortable, with doors opening onto small balconies, air-conditioning and a surprisingly modern and stylish bathroom with large walk-shower. After a few weeks in India, I was delighted to find a kettle in my room, with coffee and tea-making facilities. And a TV that never interests me,

I spent a lovely, peaceful day by the Pool, swimming in the clean warm water. Staff were attentive, polite and helpful. The food I ate was very nice.

The only reason I mark this with 4 rather than 5 stars is that, for me a vegetarian and healthy eater and drinker, the menu for both food and drink was limited. I’ve not been in India for 20 years, and have been surprised, to say the least, at the increase in the availability of fizzy drinks and junk food. There were only 4 choices for Vegetarians, and when I asked for Green Tea Bags for my room (I may be English, but I don’t drink black tea or Nescafé) there was only One to be found. Nothing herbal at all.

I threw the Staff into a tizzy by asking for Fresh Ginger and Lemon to be put into Hot Water, with some Honey on the side. This is available in every cafe I went into in Fort Cochin, but the staff here had never heard of it. After much persuasion I managed to get it made and it was perfect. I hope they take my advice and add it to their Menu. I’m not the only European who’s keen to eat and drink healthily.

Overall, I loved this hotel and would certainly return. I just hope they rethink their Menus and offer we Vegetarians a more interesting selection in future.

Room Tip: There are only 10 here, they all seem lovely, some are just bigger with four-poster beds.
Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We spent 3 nights at the tea bungalow. The hotel is an oasis in the middle of the noisy & dirty Kochi.
The service is very courteous and friendly.
We booked the more expensive (honeymoon) suite. This was the right decision, because this room is far away from the noisy street.
The rooms are clean & were cleaned every day. The bed was very good.
The bathroom was clean & corresponds to western standards.
Breakfast is really good: fresh squeezed juice, tea, coffee. Pancakes, various omelette types and toast with jam.

The coffee is really recommended!
The pool is clean and well-kept. There are towels on the pool chairs.
If we come back to Kochi, we will stay in tea bungalow again.
Clear recommendation!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2018

A very charming place this is indeed. Very pretty frome the outside to look at. It has a nice little pool, with two or three sunbeds and tables. Staff are very good and polite. There are a few downsides to the sort and location of your room. We had the room called Goa, very big, but you open your bedroom door right into reception? we did ask if this room is noisy and was told no. Well that was rubbish. with wooden floors above the noise was horrendous.People only stay a day or two because of travelling and that is a big problem if you are in the main block (room Goa) we were woken at 4 in the morning with the sound of a radio and thump thump thump of every footstep as the people upstairs check out at 5am yes 5am. they then come down to reception and natter right outside our beroom door, again not good, We had this the two days we were there, so very little sleep indeed, also at this point our bathroom was poolside and people were having breakfast right out side our bathroom one metre away, we could hear every word that was said and they had to listen to us using the toilet a metre away with a open window with just a little insect screen covering it. This really needs addressing. all in all a very noisy room, and not thought out, what with putting people above you that have to get up at 4am and make a load of noise.

Room Tip: not above the kitchen or next to reception
1  Thank omega132857
Reviewed 18 March 2018

The Tea Bungalow is a lovely small boutique hotel. It is well situated for the main sights in Kochi. The staff were very kind and helpful. The reception area doubles up as the lounge and restaurant which is slightly odd as it does feel very public when eating. Food is pleasant. There is no alcohol available here. We stayed on two occasions in the block in the front courtyard. The upstairs room did not have any hot water, and even downstairs you need to turn the tap on 10 minutes before your shower if you want it hot. The kettle did not work in the upstairs room. We were not bothered by traffic noise, contrary to some reviews, even though our room was adjacent to the street. The aircon was quite noisy, however. There is no wifi in the room but it works well in reception. There is a delightful secluded pool and courtyard area at the back which is lovely place to relax. This is also a nice place to sit for breakfast, although the breakfast choice was very limited and unimaginative. We spent 4 very happy nights here and would certainly return although some minor changes could make a huge difference to the overall experience. It is useful to know that there is a cashpoint just across the road from the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid upstairs in the front courtyard block if you like hot water
Reviewed 6 March 2018

We only stayed 2 nights but they were very comfortable. We had a large room on the 1st floor which was very quiet.
All the staff were most helpful and the food perfectly acceptable.
The pool area is rather small but very clean and well maintained.
We would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a very well located comfortable base in Kochi.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
teabungalow, Front Office Manager at Tea Bungalow, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018