“Hellish!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #92 of 642 Hotels in Bengaluru
Singapore, Singapore
“Hellish!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

I have stayed in many hotels and don’t make it a habit to write reviews unless I am extremely “wowed” or extremely disgusted. For e.g., hotels like The Conrad and Shangrila in HK and many Thai hotels are top class but I don’t write about them as that is to be expected of them. I rely on Tripadvisor to make my decisions on the choice of hotels and would like to do my part to share my experience.

The Capitol is the worst hotel I've stayed in my entire life!

The first thing that hits you is that ubiquitous peculiar smell. The stench everywhere in the hotel was horrendous! There is no escape from that strong, unpleasant smell. The room was filthy, unhygienic, and foul smelling. The wood laminate flooring was sticky. Disgusting stains were everywhere. Carpets in the walkway and in the function rooms were old, torn, and stained. In some areas I can smell strong disinfectant that was probably used to mask the dank and smell of the dirty carpets. This did not help as the smell of disinfectant was also overpowering and unpleasant.

I used the function rooms for business in the basement. There was a power blackout and we were in pitch darkness. There are NO signs to indicate the exits or any emergency lighting. Just pitch darkness. This is indeed a hazard should there be a need to evacuate. This hotel should not be allowed to operate for safety reasons alone!

I stayed there for 2 nights and asked for internet connection for my entire stay. I was told "yes sir, yes sir" and was given a slip of paper with the password for the wireless connection. I did not notice that the paper stated 1440 minutes (why don't they just say 24 hours!). This was not pointed out to me when I asked for the use of the internet for 2 days.

At the 1440 minute mark, my internet connection was cut off! When I called the reception, they told me that the connection was by 1440 minute blocks and I had to go to the reception to collect the slip of paper with password for another 1440 minutes! This is typical mindless bureaucracy! Hardly what one would expect of a hotel which purports to be a business hotel.

When I complained about anything (e.g., TV was not working because of wiring problem, lights not working, etc), there would invariably be a "yes sir, yes sir" answer with absolutely no follow-up. You need to chase them many times for something to be done.
On the positive side, the staff are generally polite. The breakfast is reasonably good if you like Indian food (which I do). The TV in the room was relatively large (good if it was working) but not many international channels. The massage chair was good although I didn't use it much.

This is, in my experience, absolutely the WORST hotel I've stayed in India and indeed the world. I am still traumatized thinking about it. It gives me the creeps.

My advice - Don't even think of it!

Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank WorldTravellerSg
TheCapitol, General Manager at The Capitol, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
Thank You for the comment. The Comment was negative from the guest point view. For instance the comment was on WIFI Internet Internet is protected by Secured By User ID and Password which is valid for 24hrs. The Same written on a Card which is given to the guest at arrival. Which Iam sure every hotel in India is doing the same. To judge this comment you need stay with us and experience this is just one off comment. Probaly the guest did not want security for his internet which very much essential.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

my stay was very relaxing n enjoyed very spacious room well designed good airconditioning and the most notable thing is the massage chair provided in each room which makes u very relaxed nice food and centrally located

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Faridabad, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

The staff was not good and not responsive. We booked a cab for the early morning as per our business meeting. The cab was not arranged and arrangement started when we reached the reception. We got the cab late by more than an hour.

Also requested the staff to keep ready our bill next morning as we have scheduled flight.
Again the delay of half hour was produced.

Also rooms were just ok, not even upto three stars standards. Machines in Gym were not working.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Neeraj S
, General Manager at The Capitol, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the Comments. We come to know about the Car being not ready and Billing was not in order. We regret our Mistake. We make sure such lack will not occur in future.

Regards
John Thomas

Travellers are raving about these Bengaluru hotels

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

I stayed here for a week since my husband had a few business meetings and we were in town together. The rooms are very comfortable even by US standards. The staff was personable and helpful. The room service was excellent and so was the restaurant which was a rooftop restaurant. Massage chair was OK.

Every morning, we used to enjoy the breakfast buffet and we were impressed by the variety of choices available. I was missing Indian food and this was the perfect place to enjoy it! Very authentic food. Had a lot of American choices as well.

The location is the best part- we could walk to many nearby attractions including restaurants and shopping places. Enjoyed my stay here and waiting to go back and having to do nothing for a week again!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

I attended Aero India in Banglaore on business, as it was my wifes birthday we arranged for her to fly out to India with me, it was her first time. We stayed at the Capitol which I woulkd suggest is a typical Indian hotel, the staff were excellent very friendly and welcoming. I thoroughly recommend tyhe rooftop restuarant, the food, ambience and views over Bangalore are really first class.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business