“Uplifting For The Soul & A Real Test Of Endurance”

Vaishno Devi Mandir
Ranked #1 of 36 things to do in Jammu City
More attraction details
Owner description: we provide Vaishno devi yatra tour packages by Helicopter. Vaishno devi is located in the katra and joint from srinagar by airport well.
Sydney, Australia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Uplifting For The Soul & A Real Test Of Endurance”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Decided to visit Vaishnodevi after my colleagues talked so much about it. Being a catholic with a deep respect for all religions I decided to make the trip last weekend. I could write a few pages on my experience, however will try to keep short. It was indeed uplifting for the soul. The sheer energy of the yatris was felt every step of the way. A real gathering of humanity...all castes, creeds, colours, shapes, sizes, old, young, rich, poor, able bodied, disabled bodied were all one for the journey. I wish this country could learn to live with each other in this way. Started my yatra 4.30pm Sat and returned 6am Sun. 2hrs was spent at Bhawan for darshan and queues etc. Mata Vaishnodevi Shrine Board should be congratulated for their efforts in providing impeccable facilities for the pilgrims. Plenty of food, water, places to rest all along the track. The only negative I found was the Pony Wallas were taking advantage of people who were tired and could not continue to walk half way through the journey. Quoting Rs1200 for a 3km journey when the recommended rate for the entire yatra is less than Rs500. There did not seem to be any official who could have intervened. I went barefoot at the darshan and my toes turned blue. I could not understand how so many yatris walk the entire 27km barefoot! It has to be the call of the divine Mata. I felt priviledged and fortunate to have been able to visit and complete the journey on foot. Will remember the experience...and some of the pain I am still experiencing for the rest of my life. JAI MATA DI..

Visited November 2011
12 Thank gerardlee

miraj
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“journey for soul purification”
Reviewed 12 November 2011

we visited maa vaishnodevi temple in november first week. we completed the yatra solely by walking. there are horses and palanquins options available. we collected yatra parchi priorly through online booking. we used sticks. one can also go by steps, but, it may prove harmful to knees. it took us 5 hours to climb and 5 hours to come down. darshan system is very good and we got darshan in 40 mins. we started climbing at 10 am and came back at 10 pm. the shrine board has provided ample toilet, relaxing, snacks facilities through the journey. helicopter option is also available.

Visited November 2011
9 Thank vdask
Jodhpur, India
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“A Nice combo of Spirituality & Adventure!!”
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Any Trip to Vaishno devi is an experience in itself. Starting from the base town of Katra & up the 10-11 Km (Difference due to the presence of Two routes) climb to the BHAWAN, its THE adventure to be a part of! I had gone there for the 3rd time this October but first time with my wife & Kid (1.5 Yr old), earlier ones being with my extended family & College frens. We had reached Jammu from Delhi by Train, in the morning, which is the most convenient & cost effective option. From Jammu, we took a Cab to the Base town of Katra. The Cab driver was helpful in taking us to a decent hotel & we started our climb to the bhawan in the evening, which is, by the way, the best time to start a climb in Indian summers. We had Hired a PITTHU who is basically a guy who helps with excess baggage or Kids & carries them on his Back (hence the name!), I and my wife were pretty confident that we would be able to climb as well as descend on foot & the pitthu can take care of our Son. This was true till almost half way up, when the kid started throwing tantrum & we had to carry him the rest of the way, ourselves. Thank god that we took the new route (branches off just before ardhkumari) instead of the main route which is even more steep. The climb till that point was tiring but not so much as we had started fresh & there were a lot of shops etc till this point..but after this point ( which is around 5-6 KM from the bottom) it was not that steep. Basically this route has been made for 3-4 wheeler public transport ( which were not operational) but now devotees take it. For those who dont wanna stand in que for 6-12 hrs at ardhakumari ( for a darshan) , its the best option. But be prepared and carry lots of liquid/ water here as the shops are few & far between. We reached Bhawan in some 5.5 Hours & had a quick Darshan at around midnight as the rush was not that much. We stopped for about an Hour where I used thh ATM there to withdraw some money & we started a look out for Tattu ( pony/small horse) to get back as by now my wife was tired & we had to carry the kid also. This is where the mismanagement at the shrine came to fore. The Pony walas were demanding atleast twice of the printed rates ( for which boards are put up) and were acting pricey. We met a manager at a toll booth for tattoos & asked him to help us & he agreed but the whole point was that we will have to go back a KM , get a tattoo till that point at whatever rates he asks & then take him to the Manager. A little hitch was that the guys are smart enough & park the tattoos a lil distance away from the booth & go & get the tickets themselves so that customers cant meet authorities & raise their concerns. So we decided that the trouble was not worth & that we can try & get back on foot. We went till Sanjhi chat Somehow ( which is around 3.5-4 Kms from the Bhawan on the way back ( the other/older route this time) but decided we need to take a break. On asking the dharamshala guy he informed us that all rooms were taken & we could just take some blankets & sleep out in the open, which again we decided against..... We again started & around 2 kms frm there ( just before ardhakumari, coming down this time) we finally got two Tattoos & thanked god that we could strike a good deal this time!! We reached the base around 6 AM after a 1.5 hr Tattoo ride ( which though shaky is quite safe). We called up the Hotel guy & he sent a cab to pick us up as promised. we Reached the hotel around 7 & just crashed on the bed dead Tired!!!

Visited October 2011
11 Thank MAYANK1402
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“A Religious touch”
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Reaching to Mata Bhawan is uphill task but Maa provides all the energy to reach there . We walked up and down in the same day ( practically 28 Km) just due to devine power. Even after walking and trecking 14 KM you will feel so much relaxing once you reach the Bhawan and have Bathe . It has the real power

Visited October 2011
5 Thank Sandeep57
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome experience”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

From the airport we took a taxi for katra. On the way the taxi wala pointed to a camp on the riverside from where we could go for a hovercraft cruise to Harki Paori.He insisted that it was one of the latest,'things to do in jammu' and a major attraction for jammu city, a not to be missed event. As it was enroute we decided tostop by. We went for a hovercraft cruise to Harki paori and back. It was awesome. You reach the the temple on the river bank via the river. ..........the first glimpse of the temple. ...u feel you have reached heven!! The trip took us one hour. but every min.was worth it. Back at thecamp after a refreshing cup of coffee we were on our way to katra wondering why why such a fantastic cruise has not been publicized. The Darshan at Ma was Beautiful and peaceful and very well managed trip . We walked all the way up and down . The Toilets were quite clean. food stalls and cold drinks are available on the way. We were blessed with Beautifull darshan. JAI MATA DI!!

2 Thank simmiparihar