New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Valentines Retreat

Valentines Retreat
Ranked #57 of 62 Hotels in Candolim
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Very friendly hotel and staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

Valentines is a small but extremely friendly hotel tucked away behind a Hindu temple (interesting music) and only 5 minutes walk to the main road and a further 5 minutes to Candolim beach near the partly disassembled tanker River Princess, regular visitors will understand! The staff were very friendly with Govan, I think the assisstant manager, calling at the market 4 times to buy fresh sea food for our dinner. The rooms are the basic Goan standard with very firm beds and pillows.
We will definately revisit Valentines in the future.

Room Tip: Go for the air conditioned option as the rooms arr
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Paul071953

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

stayed at valentines resort, been to candolim before so wasnt expecting too much, but valentines is not clean at all, the linen is stained each time it is changed which is not often. toilet is stained . i cleaned the light switches myself because they were filthy. balcony if you get one is not cleaned all the time you are there. ac and fans are very old and noisy . staff are friendly to begin with that soon goes and if like magic appears again the day before you leave (something to do with tipping i think) only tip they got was instructions on cleaning products that might be advisable in the future. i know the price is cheap but for india its not you wouldnt expect to go to a travel lodge and have a dirty room???? which is the same price would you??? so do yourself a favor just get a flight find a taxi at the airport £10 by the way to candolim and rent a room in a guest house same price but family run sooo much better and there are loads of them , india is wonderful , this experience wont put me off just put me wise

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sarahbwhiting

Travellers are raving about these Candolim hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2011

i stayed here on my own for two weeks. location is 10mins walk from the beach. rooms are basic but clean. staff are great and made me feel safe considering i was alone. will defiantly consider this hotel on my next trip to Goa next year. i didn't use the pool as i spent most of my time at the White Horse shack in Candolim or cool place in Morjim but many other guests did and its seem very nice.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank allydaisy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

I first visited this hotel in February in 2008 with my Zambian girlfriend. This was my first experience of a 'third world' country and my heart sunk when the bus pulled up. After dumping our bags in our room I continued my diva strop and was insistent I wasn't staying in the hotel. It was my girlfriend that then pointed out a few things to me 1) we had paid next to nothing for our two week holiday (£450) 2) we hadn't come on holiday to spend it in our hotel room and as long as the room was clean then what was the problem. As the room was clean I rather sheepishly decided to start to try and enjoy my holiday. It wasn't long before I was, the staff were superb and couldn't do enough for us, prashant the jewell in the crown. I would often return back from the beach and have a chat with them before dinner. They were as interested as uk life as I was in Indian. Some of the points made on hear are way off the mark, the only one I agree with being the matresses are a tad hard but can't expect anymore for the price you pay. The pool was superb, the food dreamy and highly affordable. When I decided to travel in India in march 2010 we wanted to return to goa, having been to a number of hotels on our first visit due to a family wedding (including the taj) we had no hesitation in going back to the valentine. If staff and service with a good pool are your criteria for a good hotel at a more than affordable price then this is the hotel for you. We phoned the day before from Jaipur and a taxi was at the airport waiting for us (thanks lax) on arrival in goa. Two years later the same friendly faces and the staff just as helpful. In summary this is a 2 star hotel with 5 star service. If this is your first visit to India then be prepared for a bit of a culture shock but once you have you can't fault to have a great time where ever you chose to stay. That being said I gurantee the valentines will not be beaten on service and price and that's the reason why I will be returning again and again!!

• Stayed March 2010
Kuwait
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2011

Valentines Retreat is a good location just a few mins away from the beach. I had been to the resort during the month of jan this year, and i must say the rooms were just not clean enough. The towels had stains on them and the a/c was not at all in working condition. The bathroom tub had a huge black spot on it and needed repair , it was an awful sight.!
We stayed there for just a night and moved on to another hotel far better than valentines retreat. The pool looked clean and since we didnt use the pool i wudnt comment much about it.
We ordered for dinner in our rooms and the manager said it would take 20 mins but we actually waited for 45 mins for the food to be served, plus when we wanted some more bread we had to actaully wait longer. The waiters didnt seem too happy to serve us. The main hotel manager there is very rude.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family