“Rickety infrastructure at five star prices” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Chanakya

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Patna
Hotel Chanakya
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Patna
Jhansi, India
“Rickety infrastructure at five star prices”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

When I visited Patna a few months ago, I was disgusted by the unsavoury clientele and indifferent service I had experienced at Hotel Maurya. This time I opted for Hotel Chanakya, which was like moving from the frying pan to the fire!

The entrance lobby was small and forlorn. The reception was frigid and my passport was whisked away to the third floor to be photocopied, even as another guest was clamouring for the return of his identity document.

My bed had just one light blanket and room seemed quite cold – the outside temperature at 1030 pm was around 10 degrees Celsius and expected to fall during the night. When I asked the reception about heating facilities, they graciously offered to provide me with a “room heater” which turned out to a much battered and very noisy old convector. Consequently, I had a choice between a warm but noisy room and a quiet but cold one – I ended up alternating between these charming options for most of the night! To add to my discomfort, the bed was not long enough to accommodate my 5’11” frame and my ankles were projecting beyond the edge of the mattress.

In the morning, I drew the curtains and sunlight flooded the room. Within minutes, the room temperature became uncomfortably warm. I realized that the large windows were equipped with very thin panes, which provided no thermal insulation.

The bathroom was notable for its dim lighting, discoloured tiles, stained towels, dubious toiletries and an extraordinarily slippery plastic bathtub with neither handholds nor anti-slip surfaces. The hotel was considerate enough to provide a plastic bucket and mug, but there was no possibility of using them, since the mixer was located directly above the notorious bathtub!

Buffet breakfast at Samrat restaurant was insipid and the service was sloppy. Breakfast service ended at 1030 am and the very next minute, a zealous cleaner began sweeping the floor beneath the feet of the guests who were still seated!

The last straw was that they managed to misspell both my first name and my surname on the bill, though I had provided my business card as well as my passport while checking in.

To be fair, I must mention that Takshila restaurant offers half-portions, which suits guests who are eating alone. My dinner was tasty and the service was prompt – the only positive feature of my stay at this hotel.

On the whole, a student or a pilgrim on a shoestring budget might tolerate the rickety infrastructure of this hotel. However, the tariffs – which are comparable to those of entry-level five star properties in other state capitals like Lucknow, Ranchi or Bhubaneswar – would suit only business travellers. I wonder if the original Chanakya, the great economist and political strategist of the 3rd century BC, would have approved of his modern namesake’s rip-off strategy!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank atulya_sinha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Indonesian first
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

Rooms are good but service is bad. This is not what you expect from a hotel chargin 4k min per room. First I was given a room near which a renovation was on . I was not able to use my phone for 2 hours. They changed my room after repeated follow ups. Food was good but too costly.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Ahmedabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

i have booked through coca-cola reception.hotel is nice and staff's hospitality alo a good..i like a food at chankya hotel.i was there between 11/12/11 to 14/12/11. i had visited through my official work. hotel food is fine in patna and room also you looks like a home.

Room Tip: coose room in chankya tower
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank devang12345
Delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

One of the best and luxury hotels in Patna. The rooms are good and well done. However, they are little small in size. The reception could have been little proactive to receive the guests. They have the classic arrogances of a govt hotel. The attendants and servers are well mannered. The food is also good, but expensive. Good for business trips.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank morbi24aug04
Nagpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

I have booked my package through Indiahorizons site for complete buddhist tour, it included 9 cities, which included Patna also..
As it is the capital, its too congested and traffic was horrible.
A Decent hotel with good food, but one can definately have other properties also, as we were bound by our entire tour.
Our stay was of 1 night i.e on 19th Nov 2011, with total 06 rooms, all the 6 rooms were very decent...

Room Tip: Rooms are vey decent
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family