See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 May 2016

I stayed there for four nights after spending 5 nights in much more pricey places on the islands. First of all it was very affordable considering Tahiti is so expensive in general. Included was even a taxi ride from the ferry to the hotel (20 minutes). The manager Vincent answered the phone every time I had a question (before my stay there) and was helpful. When I got there the room was simple yet quite comfortable with AC, the biggest bed, almost king if not king size, French tv with quite a few channels (no CNN but good riddance)... all my questions were answered. it was clean. The small pool was actually fun because in spite of its size it had a jet so you could swim against a stream of water in place and it was good resistance training. At night Vincent put on some very festive laser lights over the pool. The chef was sick and it is the beginning of the season so we did not get meals, but had a kitchenette and fridge but regularly you can get home cooked meals as well. The hotel is up a hill only 15 minute walk to a store and one of the nicest if not the nicest beach in Tahiti. Across the beach was a pizza man who did fire cooked home made pizza...very good... the little street to the hotel had chickens and goats nearby, was quiet and felt very safe. We had so many warnings from other hotels about theft that it felt quite relaxed by comparison to the more expensive place...maybe the thiefs if there are some in the area prefer targets with more money? One thing that saddened me in Tahiti were all the stray dogs and cats, some that looked like they are starving...so it was also nice to see the hotel cats quite well fed, playful and always ready for a visit, a cuddle or play... it made me feel that someone was taking care of their animals... if you like simple yet peaceful accommodations, this is great. You also have a local phone to use to book your other trips, you can rent a car from the owner once you get there for a day or more. Going down the road to Tahiti Niti one day was really nice. This is not Bora Bora, but it is local Tahiti. The beach is also called PK18, and there is a nice gift store nearby PK18 where the women are lovely. We spent quite a bit of time shopping for gifts and at the end they gave me a gift. Overall. The downside of the location could be that it is not ocean front and we stayed ocean front the rest of the trip, but by the ocean is also the road, and some areas are really noisy if they book you in a place by the road. So it is a trade off.

Stayed: May 2016
Reviewed 8 May 2016 via mobile

Homey and cozy. Tucked in an alley behind a wired fence enclosed with goats and chickens. Don't recommend trying to find on your first visit. Taxi from the airport cost $45 for 10 mins drive about 6 miles. Compact manual Hyundai available for rent by owner for $70/day plus $15 insurance unlimited mileage.
Rooms and inside are like Motel 6. Not enough blankets and pillows. AC is strong and quiet but sits above the head of bed.
Ceiling fan squeaks little but can be turned off. Towels are not uniform. $10 for a load of laundry.
Large potholes walking out from the alley driveway to the nearby public park beach. Walk about 200 ft to the left and you will see a sign across the only road on the island. This public park beach has operating hours. It has mango, coconut, and other fruit trees. Well taken care lawn at this park beach. It's not a soft brown sandy beach but rather grayish. It's a very small beach. It's has a drainage next to it so we didn't want to swim in it. There is also a small town convenient store nearby.
Vincent is a young Frenchman running this BnB. He is very nice and guy. The coffee he makes is very good, equivalent to that of a 5 star hotel! But decaf is not an option.
Overall, it's a good place to stay but only for non picky traveler.
I would stay there again but I would rent a car from the airport ( much cheaper) and drive there since I've already know the place.
Highly recommend taking the car on the ferry boat to Mooera island. Ameriti Ferry boat is the way to go.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2016 via mobile

Accommodation is basic but perfectly adequate.
Vincent the manager, looks after the place and takes care of his guests very well.
Bread and homemade jams and cakes were provided for breakfast and a range of fruit was provided on request but this depended on the quality of fruit available.
Vincent was happy to accommodate any requests, including provision of a mosquito repellent for the restaurant and a phone charger (we had brought adaptors for most places but not Tahilit).
We ate at the local roulette one night and Vincent cooked for us on two other nights. We also shopped at a supermarket.
I would advise you to get your bearings on the first day and walk down the road to the beach which is nearby. You can buy water at the cafe on your way. Vincent will provide beach towels on request.
I recommend you hire a car and drive around the island. Everywhere is very lush and beautiful. We particularly enjoyed watching the surfers on a black sand beach whilst we sat in the cafe.
If you go into Papeete, check the buses as they are frequent in the mornings (except Sundays) but not so frequent in the afternoons. We went on a Saturday and had to get a taxi back as there were no buses after 1pm.
The sun is very fierce so be careful if you go snorkelling.
Relais Fenua is very quiet and peaceful. We had a pleasant stay.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diane R
Reviewed 21 July 2015

fenua is a rigt place to begin to visit polinesia,because thaiti is a place only to pass . infact I suggest no more 2 days in thaiti. fenua is in front of only 2 beaches of thaiti ( the 1 in front whait ) the second ''venus '' black !the room are clean breakfas is simple but good and clerks are very nice and can help you for info

Room Tip: are all similar , but some are a little kitchen .
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2015

My husband and I stayed on Tahiti coming and leaving other Polynesian Islands so we were there two nights total. I choose Relais Fenua because I had read reviews that there was a beautiful beach near by and I was not disappointed there was a very nice beach within easy walking distance and the snorkeling was also good. The room and little hotel were lovely with beautiful flowering grounds and a nice pool.

Davy, the guy in charge, was accommodating, charming, and friendly!! We arrived in Tahiti very early (arrived at Relais Fenua around 5:00 AM) and our check in time wasn't until around 2:00 PM so we thought we would just keep our things in the office but Davy gave us a room early and it was wonderful being able to lay down and rest a while especially after an eight hour flight. On our last stay we arrived to Relais Fenua late and Davy thought he might not be there to check us in, he had written a very nice note giving us directions on what to do for check in and check out and it was really sweet because English was not his first language. As it was Davy still happened to be there but it was the effort that he took which impressed me.

At the time of our stay we were the only Americans there and I have to say it was wonderful being around people from other countries and getting away from our norm. We met people from Belgium, France, Switzerland, and the Caribbean! Everyone was very nice and tried their best to engage us, as usual people from other countries can speak some English but us Americans didn't know any other languages.

For dining if you were staying on Tahiti a while you would probably need to get transportation to restaurants but as we were only staying a short while we ate at the Roulettes very close to the Relais Fenua. A roulette is like a food truck but a much more elaborate set up with places to sit and eat. There was a large menu and the food was good and very reasonably priced. Just a tip minced meat is hamburger! I was curious so I order minced meet and I got two hamburger patties. The next time we ate there I ordered their specialty which are crepes and it was very good.

We really enjoyed our short stays at the Relais Fenua and even though there were places closer to the airport the drive only takes about 15-20 minutes and the places closer to the airport do not have Davy nor do they have the beautiful beach!

One more note even though we didn't pay for the wifi other guests were very pleased at the good rates Relais Fenua offered to use wifi.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple