Tanoa Rakiraki Hotel(Rakiraki)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$235
US$148
Hotels.com
  • Pool
All reviewsbeachfront buredive operationmeal plandive siteswedding grouphour drive from the airportvillage tourocean viewdaily specialsviti levulovo nightprivate plunge poolraki rakilocal villagesnorkeling tripour honeymoonbligh waters
Reviewed 8 October 2009

First trip to Fiji and did we ever get spoiled here! Beautiful setting, super-friendly, gracious & accommodating staff. Bures nicely appointed - loved all the wood - felt private without being off the beaten path. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 October 2009

The resort is great with good people, good food, and good accomidations.
The diving sucks because there are not many fish near the resort. If you take the one hour trip to Bligh Waters, then you will see a great number of fish and great soft coral.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2009

I recently went to the South Pacific to scuba dive with friends. WE spent two weeks on Viti Levu (Fiji Land) the main island in the Fijian chain. And although much of the island is made up of villages that lack some basic amenities, what we found at Wananavu was absolutely top-drawer!!! The grounds wew exceptionally well maintained and planned. The staff remembered everyone's name, I mean everyone, even changing faces during the week we stayed there, and we all became friends. The dive staff on the Ra Divers dive boats, were equally friendly, professional, personable and skilled. A an hstorian, I have done a lot of travelling. I have been to fifteen countries from Australia to Canada, the U.S to all over Europe. My MUST say, I have never stayed anywhere like Wananavu. Before I went there, I researched a LOT about Fiji and Wananavu, and read many reports here on TripAdvisor, some which were not complimentary. I don't know where those people stayed, but it was clearly NOT the same place i stayed! The rooms (bure's (bu-rays)) were charming and clean, the food excellent, the drinking water safe, the staff fast and careful, the prices affordable, but compared to several other such resorts on Fiji, Wananavu is first class!! Not only would I recommend it to everyone, but I would like to spend a couple more months there again diving five days a week. It has everything one ccould want in a tropical get-away, except the crowds, the noise and the overt commercialism. I, we, also stayed at the Uprising and The Pearl in southern Fiji, and I cannot say I feel the same about either one (although the Pearl is far nicer than the Uprising in MANY respects (more on those in another review).

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Stayed in a private house near Wananavu. We were told we could use the facilities at Wananavu but they had a full house and we were told we couldn't use any part of the hotel at all.
We did dive with Ra Divers. Only good things to say about the dive sites, but the equipment Ra Divers had available to rent was in appalling condition. Regulators that leaked and were very difficult to breathe through, wetsuits that were falling apart (literally!), BCDs that were ragged and falling apart. One in our group had to disconnect her BCD from her regulator as it was constantly filling the BCD. The poor divermasters were very embarrassed by the gear and all they could say was "please email the boss". I would not dive with Ra Divers again unless I had every single piece of my own gear.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sydneymac
Reviewed 26 August 2009

Well. where would I start... Wananavu is just gorgeous. We had a ball. I just cant wait to go back one day... Ill start with the beginging and ramble on..

The drive from the airport is an eye opener and takes about 2 and a half hours.. Its through the "real fiji" and you see all sorts of things. You see the poverty and how the real locals live, you see lots of sugar cane and fields and animals everywhere. I would not say its a scenic drive as its not coastal, but its interesting thats for sure. I guess I was surprised at how much poverty there is and had not expected that but the locals smile and wave to you in the bus and thats lovely. The last 20 minutes to the resort is very bumpy as the road is just rubble, so hold on tight! Its in the middle of no were and its really the only place for miles and miles so if you are looking to completely excape then this is the place to go. If you are looking for shopping and nightclubs/pubs/people, then this is not the place to go.

I would not say its a place for kids really under 12. There was no children there really at all, mainly couples and diver groups..

When you arrive at the resort you walk into heaven. Its amazing. The whole place glisens and sparkles and is clean and well looked after. Its really truly a special place.. The gardens are spectacular and the flowers are lovely and the paths around the resort are just so nice to walk around. If you want total peace and only to hear the birds and the trees swaying then this is your place for sure. No kids running around, no cars, no noise of any description apart from the gardeners chopping down the palm leaves..

The recepion area is lovely and Meli on reception is a joy. The other ladies too on reception cannot do enough for you and no problem is too big to fix. There are no tvs, radios and only one computer in the little shop for internet if you must have it!! The rooms are very clean and modern and lovely and have mini bars and air conditioning and fans. The rooms were covered in local flowers when we arrived which was so nice.

There is only a sheet and a very thin blanket on the beds, so ask at reception and they will give you more blankets. There are no safes in the rooms but you can leave valuables at reception if you need to but we felt totally safe.. We started off in a garden view bure but ended up upgraded to the honey moon bure which is out of this world. own plunge pool and undescribable views. Bure number 23 is the one to ask for if you are getting married. Unreal..

The night we arrived we got in at ten pm so the place was very quiet and everyone was asleep. We got a sandwhcih which was nice but the fried were stone cold. I think the kitchen must have been closed and waiting for us to arrive!!

Now to the food. The food manager Beato is wonderful and nothing is a problem. He genuinly wants everything to run smoothly and listens to any constructive critism. This is a 3 and half start resort and some people may forget this, so really the food is wonderful. A couple of hints were the soup was luke warm, although very tasty, but as soon as we mentioned this is became warmer, but not piping hot.. But I looked forward to the soup daily. The milk is full cream and I would have liked to see some semi skimmed, but maybe fiji cows dont do semi skimmed!!!!!!!!! The Wedges/chips could have been a bit more cooked and crispy and sometimes looked half done, but in the moring they always seemed hotter.. Yes wedges for breakfast!! Thats what they call hash browns!! Breakfast was limited but lovely and the eggs were amazing. bacon very tasty but again always half cooked but the loevly ladies were always more than happy to crisp it up a bit. The fruit and muffins were nice but most days by the time we got there they were finished and that was that. We only once made it on time to get the gorgeuos pinneaple. But we always got melon..So I guess they need to cater a bit more on the fuit and muffin department!! Over all though breakfast was lovely..

Luncu and dinner.. The same menu was daily but each day a special list came out with a few specials and that added a bit of variety.. Pizzas lovely, burgers lovely, no pasta, fillet steak really nice, chicken was always thigh and brown meat but ok. Salads nice but coudl have done with a bit less lettuce and a bit more of the other stuff and I would have loved to see some salad dressing of some sort, italian or frend or even some good old balsamic.. Deserts wonderful..

The lovo feast is fantastic and really enjoyed the food that night. Didnt quite so much enjoy the mongolian night as felt ill afterwards and as its all cooked to order opnly tip wopuld be to make sure what you are eating is actually cooked properly..

Overall I could not really fault the food and as I said tha food and beverage manager is a joy and so friendly..

Tables and glasswear immaculate and a good selection of wine and local beers and spirits and cock tails and not at all expensive really.. A coke is about $3.50 fiji and wine about $9 fiji.

So enough on the food....

The managers Rachel and mr Ben!! Lovely and friendly and helpful and caring and genuinly care about their guests. I would not have wished for better hosts!!!!!!!!

The staff.. Too many to mention. Silivia, Kali, Andi, Ma, Crazy Asinate, they were all wonderfull and remembered our names from day one.. The staff make this place special. They are the nicest most smiliest crowd ever..

There is a group pf four men who sing and play guitar at lunchtime and dinner time and thats a nice touch and really the only music apart from the odd tape playing in the bar.

The spa is lovely and just tiny. I had a massage and a pedicure. Just heaven.

We did the island discovery tour with Cevi. Great fun and he is hilarious. There is not much sand around and most beaches are pebbly so it s the white sand you want then this is not the place.The marina is beautiful but you cant really swim there. the beach is ok for swimming but you have to wear shoes for the rocks and coral. The hammocks and chairs are ok. The chairs coudl do with an overhaul, but still clean enough.

The acitvity bure is good and the lovely old man who runs it knows everything about evertying. You can buy a beer at the beach and just sit and listen to the birds and the trees. Heaven.

The village tour is great to see how the real locals live.

There is snorkelling and kayaking and tennis too.

The pool area is very well kept. Chairs pool side immaculate and the staff come and ask if you want lunch down there or a cocktail by the pool..

I honeslty could not really fault Wananavu apart from the odd thing here and there but it was just a dream holiday if you want to be romantic and escape litteraly the world.

Take a good book and just relax... Fiji time.. Im planning my next trip to heaven as we speak!!!

Vinaka Wananavu. Heaven......