All reviews robin and jim sunset bure taveuni ocean sports organic garden somosomo strait fish rainbow reef family bure passion fruit food was fantastic our honeymoon feel like family the entire staff every meal owners and staff great hosts fiji trip
Reviewed 7 September 2018

If you want crowds, large white sandy beaches, big family resorts like found on Denaru, don't go here.

But...if your are looking for a truly wonderful Fiji experience especially on the wonderful island of Taveuni, THIS IS THE PLACE!

Run by a truly wonderful family from the US, Nakia in my opinion is unmatched on Taveuni. A true ECO resort, with attention to detail, you can't beat this place.

The Bure's are lovely, we were upgraded to the Somosomo family Bure which is more like a beautiful Villa overlooking the magical Somosomo strait.

The food is the best anywhere, the menu for all three meals of great variety, fish, meat chicken, lamb, veggies, fruit and of course dessert. All grown and raised locally.

Spent my Birthday here, and we had a wonderful time, with Kava and serenading live Jazz music to make it memorable evening!

Diving on the Rainbow reef is the best anywhere in the world and the Crew here is the best, Julie and her wonderful staff giving you a dive experience you will never forget.

I could go on and on about this place but I will just say from Alex and I a HUGE thank you to Julie and all your staff! By far the best Fiji trip ever and an experience we will never forget!!! Vinaka!! Joe D

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe D
Reviewed 23 August 2018

I stayed at Nakia for 10 days in the Garden Bure. I am not one to give reviews, but in this case, I had to speak up. I had such a great time at Nakia in all ways. First of all, Robin the owner is incredible. She is attentive to each guest needs and takes care of everyone like family. I wanted to go the Antimeridian line to get a picture of me standing in today and yesterday at the same time, Robin herself took me. Next the food was great and there was a wide selection as well. If you wanted something special not on the menu and as long as they have the ingredients Robin will make it happen. She is a vegetarian, so the menu has a lot of selections to accommodate this need. As a meat eater I was very happy with the menu. When you arrive, you get to try the resorts drink Fiji Red, which is a great drink. Nakia is situated on the hill side and you get incredible view of the ocean and Vanua Levu and the Somosomo straits. The diving was great and the dive operation is top notch and treated us to incredible memories. Bose was our dive master for our 10-day adventure. He knew where to find all of the little and special creature that I would have missed on my own. The boat crews were very nice and professional. After the first dive was over and were making an hour surface interval we always had Fiji red, banana bread coconut cookies, veggies and hummus, what a treat.
I had a great trip and can’t wait to return

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank wake4rick
Reviewed 27 July 2018

Every once in a while in our travels, we are blessed to come across a place that is so much more than just a hotel or a place to rest our heads at night. Nakia is just that place. We were in Fiji for two weeks and Nakia was the absolute highlight of our stay. During our 7 night stay, Robin and Jim and the rest of the staff at Nakia became like family to us. We travelled with two children (4 and 7) and another family with two children of the same age. Robin watched over the children while the adults went scuba diving and the children fell in love with "Grandma Fiji." There is no official kids club or scheduled kids activities. Instead they baked cookies and other treats in the kitchen, made clay figures, swam in the pool, and just overall had the most amazing time. They were made to feel that Nakia was their home and it's not surprising that both of our kids cried the whole way from Nakia to the airport when it was time to leave and say goodbye.

The Somosomo bure is beautifully designed and very comfortable and spacious. The views from our porch and the whole property are spectacular. The food is INCREDIBLE (fresh and delicious) and there was plenty of variety on the menu to keep everyone happy for the week. (Although we each found ourselves eating our favorite meals over and over again.) Every staff member was so warm and accommodating. The resort is just a short five minute stroll to the most incredible dive shop, Taveuni Ocean Sports. When my daughter needed a new pair of leggings because she was getting lots of mosquito bites, Robin even took her into the nearby town to pick some up while we were out scuba diving. These are the kinds of small details that make such a lasting impression. It was truly a magical, stress-free vacation where the hardest decision of the day was what to eat for dinner.

There is nothing that Robin and Jim aren't willing to do to help you have the best vacation possible. They arranged a taxi for our large group to see the waterfall at Bouma. Ron took our family of 4 to the natural waterslide and played with our young son in the water, while my husband, daughter, and I gave the slide a try. (Absolutely a must do!). They also chartered a boat to take us to a small, deserted island for a morning of snorkeling and seashell collecting with our kids. The excursions are all reasonably priced and well organized. We missed out on the Lavena Coastal walk this time, but it just gives us another excuse to return.

Taveuni is a spectacularly beautiful, relaxed island. The people are warm and friendly. The scuba diving on the Rainbow Reef is truly out of this world. (We spent five days diving with Julie at Taveuni Ocean Sports - truly one of the best dive shops in the world. I'll post another review just for the diving.) Fiji is one of my favorite places in the whole world (this was our third trip to the country) and is, in my opinion, the best place to vacation with younger children. You will be hard pressed to find a more beautiful place in the world to vacation and a more incredible place to stay than Nakia. There is no nightlife or mass tourism or shopping malls. Instead, you will find nature at her most beautiful both on land and below the ocean. You will find the most incredible and friendliest people. And at Nakia, you will find one of the best small resorts in the world. And yes there are mosquitos, but there are also no traffic jams or crowds fighting for space at the tourist spots. (We had Bouma falls and the waterslide to ourselves.) Before we left, my husband and I were already talking about when we could return. We hope to be back.

So many thanks to Robin, Jim, Julie and all of the staff at Nakia for a truly remarkable and memorable stay at Nakia. If I could rate our stay with you six stars, I would. Five stars just doesn't seem to do justice to the special place you have created.

Room Tip: The Somosomo Bure, with two bedrooms and bathrooms, is perfect for a family of four who wants plenty of space or for two families to share.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank hilocobaitza
Reviewed 10 July 2018

We stayed nine nights at Nakia Resort & Dive and if we could have, we would have stayed nine more. Delicious food, very cosy bure (sunset), great hosts and combined with diving, the perfect holidays.
We can highly recommend Nakia and it would be our first choice to stay next time in Fiji.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
6  Thank MDHolland_CH
Reviewed 12 June 2018

We primarily booked with Nakia because they offered babysitting. The friendly owner Robin and her staff did a great job watching over our two young children while my wife and I went out diving every morning. There are no 'kids club' activities but our kids never seemed bored. Lots of vegetarian options available on the menu and the food was quite tasty. There is a local beach you can walk to in about 5 min, we found an octopus in the tidal pool and enjoyed doing hermit crab races with the kids. I also used the provided bikes to cycle into the small village one day (about a 20 min ride). Of course the highlight of the trip was diving the fabulous Rainbow Reef and Great White Wall (the associated dive shop is one of the best operations I've dove with). My only minor quibble is the wifi is quite spotty here, but I guess it is actually nice to take a break from the web sometimes.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family