“I wish I'd booked for longer than a week...I was sad to leave.”

Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula Hotel & Resort
Ranked #83 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 3 March 2012

As a wheelchair user booking a hotel is quite a daunting experience. 'Accessible' has so many factors that are not always taken into consideration.

We booked the Royal Peninsula after scouring the internet for quite a few days. We were not disappointed in the least. On arrival we were assisted immediately with our bags by the concierge and escorted to reception. On check in we were greeted like old friends and were brought drinks while we waited for a buggy to collect us to take us to our room. The buggy wasn't accessible but help was given to assist where needed. On the journey to our room the driver gave us a guided tour of the resort which proved valuable when we went for a stroll later.

The accessible room: Level access, no steps. Always a brilliant start. All lights where no higher than elbow height. The key holder (to activate the room's utlities) was a little high but as I have weak upper body strength this may not be an issue for most wheelies. The shower had a seat but there was a small (no more than half an inch) divider on the floor so the room didn't flood. Not ideal but understandable. The room as a whole was beautiful with 2 beds and plenty of space. The photos on TA really show the rooms off to their best. We were delighted.

We didn't tip at the start of our holiday as has been suggested yet the service we received far exceeded our expectations. The Egyptian people are warm and giving of themselves. In the main restaurant we were treated like family at every meal time. The staff remember your drinks and our table was often waiting with our drinks on arrival. The waiters are superb at their job, more so than anywhere else we've ever stayed. I wrote a letter to say thank you at the end of our stay as I was overwhelmed by their attentiveness. I even got escorted around the buffet and served so my boyfriend could serve himself. Faultless and humbling. The food was great...there is so much choice that finding something to suit your palate is not difficult unless you are a very fussy eater. (For those in a wheelchair there is an accessible bathroom here).

We also ate at Al Forno, the Italian restaurant on site. I'm no expert on Italian food, the menu is varied and the food very very good. We did not leave feeling disappointed...we left feeling completely stuffed. :o)

The pool area is beautiful and again the staff very willing to help at every turn; be it to bring you a windbreaker or to help with your choice of sun bed. It is clean and in good state of repair. The pool was not accessible for me as I need a lot of help to simply move but this wasn't a problem for me as I'm not really a pool person. My boyfriend found the pool refreshing after being lay in the hot sun and lovely to swim in. It is a vast space so no overcrowding. The island is accessible via ramps...a little steep so get some help. The pool BBQ bar is inaccessible due to steps and no option for a ramp, but the staff were very happy to serve us pool side. Nothing was too much trouble. The mocktails are gorgeous; a perfect match to the sun.

The Panorama bar we found a little dark but again as we don't drink it was not an issue for us. The soft drinks are always delicious, especially the Red Sea Sunrise. They serve afternoon tea late around 4 pm which was quite nice.

The entertainment was OK, but again this is not what we came on holiday for. The animation team worked so hard to rally the troops but alas the guests just didn't want to get involved. I think the hotel need to look at making the evenings a little more exciting. There was lots of traditional dancing which is always lovely to watch and the occasional singer. It just needs a little more oomph.

The general landscape of the hotel is particularly beautiful. The gardens and paths are lovely to walk or simply to look at from your terrace or balcony. They are constantly well maintained by the friendly gardeners.

I have already written a review on the Sabai Sabai thai spa but to keep it short it's everything a spa should be. Truly a beautiful experience. We didn't use the gym but did go in a few times as that is the accessible route to the spa for wheelchair users. It is well equipped and looks out onto the pool area. Absolutely brilliant staff too.

I really wanted to give this hotel a 5 out 5 as we loved it so much but with the areas that lack a little pizzazz mean I am torn. I wish there was a 4.5. I'm now trying to twist my boyfriends arm to go back next month as I miss the people so much.

5  Thank adorabubble
There are newer reviews for Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula Hotel & Resort

Reviewed 1 March 2012

We recently stayed from 31 Jan to 28 Feb as a couple at this hotel on an all inclusive basis. It was tremendous value for money and we booked with 'Onthebeach' for under £1900 for the four weeks.

1. Staff - All of the staff were absolutely fabulous and we were made to feel most welcome, nothing was too much trouble for them, they were a credit to the hotel.

2. Reception/Rooms - The staff at reception were really helpful and on arrival we were checked in and on our way by buggy to our room in minutes. We were upgraded to a corner suite without asking, the rooms are huge with separate seating areas, large bathrooms with baths and walk in showers. Our room was kept spotless with clean towels everyday and bed linen every other day.

3. Dining - We did not experience any problems with the food, there was always something on the menu that we liked and were happy to eat, we are not fussy eaters and were happy to try many of the local dishes as well as the more traditional. The restaurant operates a 7 day menu. There was an excellent salad bar at Dinner and Lunch and an endless supply of desserts. Breakfast was good with fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal and a cooked breakfast with an excellent egg station that served eggs anyway you liked. We made friends with many of the waiters and nothing was too much trouble for them. There is a reasonable Italian Restaurant which can be used once a week by the AI (more if you pay) and a fabulous Thai Restaurant which gives a £35 (Egyptian pounds) reduction to AI. The Thai food is out of this world and you must try it at least once even though it is a bit pricey.

4. Pool - A large heated pool with plenty of sunbeds and windbreaks, towels are provided on a daily basis and the pool boys are really helpful with setting up beds etc. The pool bar service was excellent and although the drinks are served in plastic glasses (safety) there was always an adequate supply. The local beer, wine, spirits, cocktails (alcoholic and fruit) were always available and drinks were brought to your sunbed if required. Good facilities for the children and a childrens club. The pool bar provides a lunch service which is a good alternative to the Restaurant.

5. Evenings/Entertainment - The Panorama Bar was the AI bar for the evening but did not provide the type of atmosphere we were looking for, the music was invariably quite loud and there was nowhere to have a quiet drink and a chat. The terrace was in use but at night this could be chilly and was a bit spartan, I suspect it is better in the summer months when it is warmer and there are more people at the hotel. There is a bar called the Windsor Bar which is luxurious but is totally under utilised because it is a pay bar. I did complain to the management about the evening facilities and they reacted instantly but this was for me only and I suspect it was not a long term solution. The animation team were pretty poor, both at night and during the day, in their defence the hotel was on low occupancy and again I suspect with more willing volunteers and warmer nights it might change. A couple of acts were good but in the main they were a pretty poor and again they operate on a 7 day cycle. I felt this was one of the weak areas of the hotel and they need to do better.

6. Facilities - The Beach is reached by shuttle bus which runs every 30 mins, it was under repair (the beach) during our stay and there is a beach bar which provides lunch and drinks for the AI and other customers. There is a good Gym on site and an excellent Thai Spa which offers a range of treatments, really first class, for the golfers there is the sister hotel nearby and a green fee reduction. There is bus down to Naama Bay a couple of times a day which you need to book or taxis can be booked at reception at a reasonable rate.

7. Summary - Great value for money, I think many customers forget how little they are actually paying and their expectations can be too high. I enjoyed my stay at the the resort and would certainly consider visiting again. I was surprised that there were not more long stay holidaymakers and we were a bit of a novelty, maybe the holiday companies are missing a trick. Our holiday was made all the better by the attitude and friendless of the staff and management, we are already missing you all and look forward to our next visit.

My Holiday Tip: I always tip the staff regardless of being AI and sometimes I tip at the start of my holiday and not the end, does it make a difference? Try it!

Room Tip: We were upgraded without asking so wait and see what you have been allocated before paying for an up...
8  Thank Verykeengolfer
Reviewed 28 February 2012

This was our first trip to Egypt and we did not know what expect.
We travelled between 20th Feb - 27th Feb.

The trip didn't start well the male who picked us up for our transfer took us to a man to get a Visa at the airport and when we said we didn't need one both man were very rude shouting at me. (This didn't help when I was already unsure about Egypt).

Where the Hotel is situated in between Sharks bay and Naama bay there is nowhere to walk. You do need to travel by bus or taxi to get around however unless in Naama Bay this seems the norm. If worried about taking Taxis the hotel have in house Taxis where the price is arranged prior to the journey. We were dropped into Naama Bay and arranged a time to be picked back up. Kimo our driver was right on time and very friendly. They do drop you to a shop where if you wanted the driver to pick you up at a different time you are introduced to a man that would ring your driver for you. You do feel like you have to buy something from the shop otherwise they won't call the driver but we didn't buy anything and Kimo turned up right on time.

Booking into the hotel was the easiest I have experienced in the uk or abroad. Whenever we walked through the foyer there was never a queue and loads of helpful staff. We upgraded to a larger room closer to the pool/gym and eating area for about £60 well worth the money.
Expect to tip everywhere in Egypt and depending on if you do tip or how much you tip can depend how you are treated by people.

Staff. The majority of the staff are extremely helpful and polite. From reading other reviews we did tip well on the first night and this seemed to stand us in good stead for the rest of the week.

Rooms. The rooms are large and cleaned daily with fresh towels every day. On top of this you are provided with fresh towels daily to use at the pool.

Food. I thought the food choice was excellent however any longer than 7-10 days I may have struggled. At every meal there was a large choice of lovely bread.

Breakfast was served between 6am and 10:30am. There was a large choice of pastries/amazing cakes. Hot food, freshly made omelettes to order and Cheese and Meat.

Lunch was served between 12:30pm and 15:30pm. There was lots of salad and hot food. Or the pool bar which was a nice change. Cake choice was amazing.

Dinner was served between 18:30pm and 22:30pm. There was lots of salad and hot food with different themes each night although it was abit samey with rice and potatoes. Cake choice again was amazing.

Drinks were part of the all-inclusive but they were served in small glasses. I like my diet coke and it was a pain to keep going back and forth the pool bar. Alcoholic drinks were very watery but that seems to be the norm at all inclusives.

Pool. The pool was lovely however in peak season I think it would be too small however in Feb there was plenty of space. The pool looks inviting but is freezing.

Grounds were lovely. Gym was great and well equip and there is tennis volley ball and table tennis.

On the first day you do get alot of people coming up to you trying to get you to use the spa, book an excursion, or a table at the al la carte restaurants. But once you say no once they remember and don't ask again. Be prepared that the hotel is in a flight path and several do go over a day but they didn't really bother me.
All in all very happy with the hotel.

Room Tip: Consider an upgrade. Use the hotel taxis to get up and about. If you have a later transfer worth...
8  Thank Ruth C
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I just enjoyed a relaxing break here with my children aged 6 and 9. The hotel is clean, our room was very spacious (without upgrading) even with an extra bed in it for my daughter. We had an AI package and had plenty to eat and drink. My kids loved the kids club and the excellent staff Linda and Maria, and played there or in the little pool and park beside it a lot. The pool is huge and very clean. This is a hotel to go to if you want to relax, there is nowhere to walk to nearby but taxis from the hotel to other places are cheap. We booked a couple of trips with Reda who organises excursions from the hotel. We went to a dolphin show and quad biking. We also all got the best haircuts we have had in years. The staff here are very polite and work like you wouldn't believe. I read other reviews where people complained about having to tip before receiving any sort of service. This was not the case when I was there and I tipped because I chose to as the staff really deserved it and not because I felt under pressure. The only reason I wouldn't give this hotel five stars is because the 'where is your husband, why did your husband let you come alone' went from amusing to annoying really quickly. Then again 98% of staff are male so I suppose a woman on her own is a novelty.The poor lifeguard also had so many other jobs to do cleaning, manning the towel station he couldn't keep watch over the pool all the time. I am planning to send the husband back in October break with the kids .

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Shergva
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hotel is not an all inclusive, if you miss breakfast there is nothing till 12.30 if you miss dinner there is nothing till 6.30, there is no children's menus, if you want a coffee at the lobby bar you have to pay you only get one go at the Italian and then you have a set menu because you have paid all inclusive. This also happens at the beach bar and pool bar. I have never been anywhere that makes you have a set menu, there is only one bar to drink in at night and it is very small. If this was booked as a half board it would be very good, the staff at this hotel are a credit, nothing is too much trouble, the rooms are very good, the beach is very interesting even though you have to take the shuttle to it. We spoke to the manger and he said he would look into it. There was a conference on at the same time and we did feel a little second class at this hotel. It needs to sort out if it is a family hotel or a business one the two dont mix to good.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends