“A so excellent resort”

Four Seasons Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #4 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 31 December 2011

My husband and I stayed here a week from 27 November. We have been three times before - the last time being May 2005 - and had forgotten just how fantastic the resort is. It is large, the facilities are excellent and the service the most consistently amongst the best in the world.

This time we arraged to be met at the airport with limo transport back to the hotel. It made the start of our stay just so relaxed as passports, customs and luggage was dealt with just like that and without our involvement.

My husband wanted to use the wired internet in our room to deal with some business e-mails. It did not appear to work. He spoke to the Concierge. Within 15 minutes we had a new cable (which did work) and could have had a wireless hub if we had wanted. Just amazing.

It is a very great pity that tourist numbers to Sharm have fallen this past year - Sharm itself is very quiet and peaceful. But it did mean that I had the lap pool to myself every day in the morning and afternoon. And, spa appointments were easy to come by.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank WPKATZ
Write a ReviewReviews (1,711)

Reviewed 31 December 2011

Our stay was very relaxing, and very memorable. Service was exceptional and all staff tried their best to make our stay even more enjoyable. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MBanusic
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We have just returned from our holiday in Sharm el Sheikh . The hotel was amazing .. And staff were a credit to the hotel , they treat us like royalty ! So kind and polite every day , every minute . In particular a young man by the pool attended to us putting our towels on the bed as we approached them .. If we got up off them he would be over to straighten the towel out on the bed ... He got our drinks , and cleared the table as soon as we were finished .. He was called Ragab I think what a star he was . The staff in the Italian Restraunt were fantastic too and the food was amazing ... The buffet night was wonderful . The only thing we didn't like was there was no other guests dining apart from a couple of people ! Most nights we dined in the restraunts and there four ... We were on our own ! I think the hotel need to have an incentive to keep guests in the hotel .. For example Happy Hours ... Better entertainment .. Cheaper prices on the menu . This was the only fault .

• Stayed: December 2011
12  Thank JUNEJEFF
Reviewed 23 December 2011

My only complaint is that there was nothing to complain about...the staff are excellent.....as another guest put it "they are there to spoil you".
The Italian Chef went out of his way to accomodate us with our Vegetarian diet.
Water in sea was a little cold....sun goes down behind the buildings after about 4pm....quite chilly when sun hidden behind the clouds.
Still family thoroughly enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank reviewer641
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Visited the Four Seasons again from December 11th to 18th. We had been there two years previously, for Christmas, and had loved it. I was worried that it might have faded somewhat over the intervening years, but happily those worries were entirely misplaced -- it's still a fabulous resort!!

We flew out with Monarch (since BA have stopped flying to Sharm from London). The plane out was fine. We had booked seats with extra leg room, but it was a modern plane and I think even those in the regular seats weren't too badly off. The flight back, on the other hand, was one of the fleet's older planes, and it truly is as horrible as reputation has it, the narrowest seats I've ever encountered, even in the "premium seats". The staff on both flights were very nice and professional, and it's only about 5 hours each way, and the flight times are great (we got to enjoy most of our last day in the resort by the beach), but still, when there's a decent alternative, I would never willingly fly Monarch until they stop designing their seats for ultra-slim people under five feet tall!!!

We were picked up by the Four Seasons limo. It was included in our package -- we got a great deal because we went the week before Christmas -- half the price that it would have been the following week, complimentary transfers, and $100 hotel credit for six days. If you are going and the limo is NOT included, I would not pay through the nose for it -- the hotel is literally no more than a five or ten minute drive away from the airport. Get a local taxi and bargain hard -- it should be no more than $6 or $7 depending on your bartering skills! Or book a car online through one of the local Sharm carriers if you'd rather not haggle.

The resort is as beautifully maintained as it was two years ago, even though occupancy has been very low recently because of the troubles in Egypt. (If you are worried about travelling to Sharm because of the political unrest, DON'T BE!! There was no evidence at all of any problems in Sharm, which is as tourist-friendly as ever.) It wasn't looking in the least bit tired or faded. Still a desert jewel, with immaculately preserved gardens.

The staff acknowledged that we were return customers, which was nice. We did think they might upgrade us, given that the resort was so quiet, but no joy on that front. I never expect a complimentary upgrade, so I'm not complaining, but I thought they would have been looking to make as much of a good impression as they could when things were quiet -- I've been in plenty of other hotels where their policy is to upgrade as many customers as they can in low periods. The standard room was absolutely fine -- we stayed in a higher grade room last time, and to be honest there wasn't a lot of difference in it. But it still would have been nice to have been bumped up as return customers. Then again, I suspect they get a LOT of return customers, so they probably don't need to try as hard as other hotels!! :-)

The restaurants are all worth trying, though we did feel that Fish Night at the Waha, while tasty, was overpriced. Our favourite was the Italian, which has a new, Italian chef. The food there was delicious and reasonably priced. Breakfast offered lots of choices. The staff in all the hotels were attentive and friendly. Make no bones about it -- eating and drinking on the resort IS expensive. For instance, a bottle of local beer, Sakara, is 50 Egyptian pounds, whereas it's half that price in most other places in Sharm. But, hey, it's the Four Seasons!! If you want to eat and drink more economically, Soho Square is just a few minutes walk away, with several options (we tried the Indian, which was fine), and Naama Bay is only several minutes away in a taxi (you should pay 50 or 60 Egyptian pounds each way, though maybe a bit more coming back, depending on how hard you barter).

The room was carefully cleaned each day, though on a couple of occasions they didn't replace drinks that we had taken from the mini bar. (This has happened to me a few times in hotels over the last few years. I can never understand it -- re-stocking the mini bar would be my first priority if I was running a hotel!!) We had no problem getting a lounger -- indeed, given how quiet the resort was, we were able to sit virtually anywhere we wished, which was nice! It was a bit cooler than we expected, low instead of mid 20s, and windy, with cloud on a couple of days. The sea is quite cool, so it's worth bringing at least a rash vest to wear when in the water -- or you can hire something more sunstantial from the diving centre if you're going to be spending a lot of time in the water. I snorkelled almost every day. The house reef is impressive, with a wide array of fish. The highlight was a moray eel, which we saw within a couple of minute on our first day -- no sign of it after that! We also saw a ray one day, but it was on the floor and not very active.

The week passed by in a blur of sunbathing, snorkelling and eating. We also visited the spa a few times, and I would recommend it -- not as great as the spa in Four Seasons Seychelles, but of a very high standard, with friendly staff and skilled masseusses. The gym was very good too, with lots of equipment and a TV on every machine.

The only two slight gripes I would have (which I also had on our previous visit) are: 1) I think internet access should be complimentary. If it was a business hotel it would be different, as I accept that such hotels have a right to charge, since they can make a significant profit from people doing business. But in a leisure hotel it should be free for those who just want to log on for a few minutes each day to keep up with their emails. 2) I think they should offer more reasonably priced excursions. We didn't go on any this time, since we'd done a few on our previous trips, but we had a look at those offered through the hotel. The exursions they offer are LUDICROUSLY priced -- about ten times what you would pay with any other operator!! Of course, I'm sure you'll enjoy an exclusive, first-class experience if you book through them, but unless you're a rock star or famous actor with money to burn and a wish not to mingle with anyone else, there's no justifying the prices they charge. It's easy to book through one of the other operators in Sharm, but that entails doing the research yourself online, or going in person to one of the travel agents in Naama Bay (there is also one in Soho Square, I think). There's no reason why the resort shouldn't offer the more reasonably priced excursions along with their first-class packages -- at least that way guests would have a choice. I suspect it's part of a cunning plan to keep guests on site as much as possible, and to be honest, when you have a hotel as lovely as this, you probably WON'T want to leave very often!!! :-)

All in all, we had a wonderful week here, and I can't recommend the hotel highly enough. The Savoy might be #1 on Trip Advisor at the moment, but while I'm sure that's a very nice hotel, there's no competing with the Four Seasons if you want to TRULY pamper yourself and enjoy a dream holiday!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple