This is a top notch resort for sure. We went in the winter months, still topping out in the 20s, but we hit a cool patch, which made the pool a no go area, despite the main pool being heated (the pool was fine, like a warm bath, the day we arrived, but they must have turned off the heat because it got progressively colder the next 3 days and was unusable except for the brave. The pool was noticeably quieter as the temp wet down). For sun bathing it's crucial to find a spot in a windbreak which will make all the difference on sub-20 days. The staff (and Egyptians in general) are incredibly courteous and friendly. We went full board which was nice, to be able to grab a drink in the afternoon sun. Our kids (age 4 and 6) had an incredible time as well.
Here's my nit-picking issues: First, I don't know if we didn't request it, or if it's just not available, but there was no room with 2 doubles or something similar. We were in a suite, but furniture in the living area was simple (easier to clean when bringing the beach/desert into your room), so no sofa bed like we've had in other starwood hotel suites. In the end we had one rollaway and one sleep with us in the king bed. Not ideal, but fun family memory. And if we wanted to we could have gotten another rollaway. Second, as SPG members, frequently get upgrades, especially when traveling in the offseason. Hotel was certainly not at capacity, so I was hoping to get a better suite, given that we paid cash, have some sort of standing with SPG. However, I'm not sure what's available; they might shutter whole sections in the winter. Third, (this is total personal preference) neither my wife nor I can do restaurant/resort food for a week - and the Miramar had decent food, good for a massive resort. The two themed restaurants (Piscina and Oriental) are dark for certain days in the offseason, so just plan accordingly. We are foodies, so typically would go somewhere where we'd either self cater or be a little less touristy and have cool local restaurants (and we like breakfast in our jammies!). El Gouna's a bit pre-fab for westerners, so just be aware I'd say (But Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf at Abu Tig Marina is a legit coffee shop from LA!). Also on that note - alcohol has a 485% duty on it! The local wine is great for house stuff, very South of France style. But since spirits are painfully expensive, no G&Ts or a nice Chianti for us, which would have been nice. Just had to lower our expectations there. In the end my wife and I both said we weren't sure we could eat there more than the four nights we were there. It might be better
That's a lot of critical stuff, but all in all a great holiday. Our boys loved just hanging out in kids club, getting in the pool on the warmer days, playing at the beach/play area for kids., and just generally exploring. I recommend planning ahead with beds for families with kids our ages. Younger kids can do a cot and older can get their own room, I'd think. Also with the full board, just be prepared for drinking local booze and/or paying for mixed drinks. If we were to do it again, we'd go over Easter hols rather than half-term to ensure some blazing hot weather, which we really wanted and the resort is designed to enjoy, rather than the warm, comfortable weather we had.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna is built on the most magnificent site, spread over 9 Red Sea islands and is designed by the world famous architect, Michael Graves. The award-winning architecture is inspired by ancient Egyptian designs. The unique seafront setting of the resort with the dramatic backdrop of desert mountains, crystalline lagoons, wooden bridges and lush gardens gives you the sensation of being in another world. Perfectly suits family holidays, romantic holidays, Weddings, honeymoons, meetings, seminars and incentives ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Booking.com, HotelQuickly and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Miramar Hotel El Gouna
- Sheraton El Gouna
- Sheraton Miramar El Gouna