“Best scuba outfit in Dahab” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Big Blue Dahab

Big Blue Dahab
Ranked #1 of 81 Tours in Dahab
More attraction details
Owner description: We are passionate about diving and dedicated to standards, quality and safety.Built in 2005, the dive centre is located yards from the waters edge on the sea front and the vibe is very friendly, fresh, relaxing and positive. The centre is fully equipped with the latest scuba gear. We frequently purchase new kit and everything from the regulators to the fins, BCD’s to masks are well known quality brands.
Deal, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Best scuba outfit in Dahab”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

We've been diving as a family with the Big Blue twice now. We did our Advanced Open Water with them at the end of 2009, and returned in 2011 for 12 dives. Nothing is too much trouble for them, and they'll do everything they can to ensure you have great dives, but also a great holiday. Lindsay and Mohammed in the office could not be more friendly and helpful. The equipment is all good quality, and they're safe and caring. We've had great instructors and dive masters every time, but if you're new, nervous or having any difficulties at all, Ibrahim is the best instructor ever: calm, patient, clear, and just a lovely guy. It was the price that made us choose The Big Blue the first time, but the great experience and service are why we'll always come back here.

• Arabic first
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Highly recommend this dive shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

I did my PADI open water course over new years with Emad and he was an excellent instructor. He was very patient and very knowledgeable (10+ years of experience). He also was clear that the awarding of my certification is performance based, even if that took longer than the 3 days advertised to complete the course, which provided comfort that the dive school is not cutting corners to get more customers. The group size was small (max was 3 including me and on the last day I got one on one instruction which was great). I also did 3 guided dives on top of the 4 open water on top of the course, and all 3 were excellent (blue hole, canyon, islands). Largest group size was 3.

They are also very flexible in arranging last minute dives as I would decide the evening before or day off, and they are able to take me and my boyfriend on guided dives.

Lyndsey and Mohammend where also very helpful in arranging the payments and logistics getting us to and from. The setting of the dive shop is lovely, across from a nice restaurant where you can sit enjoy the view of the beach while revising for the PADI exam.

We also felt the equipment was well maintained and clean, which was very important. Thanks guys!

London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

I had the pleasure of spending a week diving with these guys - I chose them primarily as they were affiliated to the hotel I was staying in (Dahab Paradise - also highly recommended) and because they had excellent reviews here on Trip Advisor.

I wasn't disappointed! It had been some time since my last five (around five years or so) so I booked on their refresher course - only 5 euros or so on top of the normal dive cost - for my first day in Dahab. Amr, the instructor, was very patient, very thorough, and on land gave us a good 45 minute refresher on all the fundamentals that I, at least, had pretty much completely forgotten over the intervening five years - it soon came flooding back (pn intended).

We were then taken step by step through setting up our gear, and running through buddy checks before an easy shore entry to the dive site. We then spent 15 minutes on the sea floor at 4m or so running through a quick skill test - mask flood and empty, removal and empty, regulator recovery, fin tip pivots, etc. before then continuing with a fairly shallow (down to 15m) dive to ease us back in to things.

Having originally only planned to dive every other day, I ended up diving every day bar one - for two of these days we were lead by Amr, and for the other three we were lead by Hamza, who whilst not an instructor was judge as friendly, knowledgeable, thorough and conscientious as Amr had been.

Big Blue were very flexible about everything - as they were running a number of different trips to different locations each day it was easy to ask for a specific location, or a type of dive, for the next day. So if, for example, you expressly wanted to do some nice easy shallow dives, you simply asked and it was done. Or if you wanted to go to the Canyon and the Blue Hole (on which more later) then likewise, you simply asked and it was set up for you. Pick up and drop offs at the hotel were included in the costs of diving and again, were flexible - my hotel was between town and the Canyon and Blue Hole, so to save me the hassle of coming in to town to sort out my gear and then drive back out again, they suggested (and I accepted!) that they sort out my gear for me and just pick me up on their way out to the dive sites.

And what amazing diving - having had the luck to dive in some great sites around the world, including Thailand, Fiji and the Cook Islands, I can easily say that the locations in and around Dahab are up there with the best of them. The Canyon, which I had the pleasure of diving twice, is a unique site - seeing this jagged gash opening up on the sea floor as you swim towards it at 20m or so, with a curtain of bubbles rising up from it, is impressive enough. To then drop the 10m down into it, feel the warm water rushing out of a volcanic vent, and looking up at the sky hemmed in by the walls of the Canyon is simply staggering.

Enough has been written about the Blue Hole without me adding my two cents - but from the entrance down El Bells to 30m, and then drifting sideways and upwards along a sheer drop off that plummets out of sight straight down below you, it's easily one of the most memorable dives that I've ever done.

Are Big Blue the best dive outfit in Dahab? I can't say - as I haven't tried all the others. What I can say is that I would come back and dive with them again at the drop of a hat (if I had my way, I wouldn't be leaving!), I'd recommend them to my friends without hesitation, knowing that they'd have a fantastic time being looked after by an experienced, friendly and, above all, caring team.

And, perhaps the highest praise I can give them is this - the minute my son turns 10 then we'll be straight back out here for them to teach him to dive. Of all the dive establishments I've experienced, whether as a student or simply on fun dives, I can't think of safer or better hands for him to be in.

Visited January 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding dive operator!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

As a complete dive novice, I am glad to have dived with Big Blue Dahab - a dive operator with a down-to-earth, professional and warm staff. Lyndsey has been wonderful and promptly replied my last-minute emails, and provided comprehensive and clear info about Big Blue Dahab before we arrived. Mohammed, the manager, has been welcoming, cheerful and helpful in helping us arranging our dives, even at late notice. His flexibility and resourcefulness I do appreciate.

Amr, my instructor, is simply wonderful! He radiated an air of calmness that can sooth any beginers' nerves. He is well-meaning and patient, so makes you feel that it is OK to make mistakes and that you have all the time in the world to try and learn, which, helped me to build confidence. He was quick to point out my mistakes and always provided effective solutions to them. He was also great fun and I enjoyed the many underwater games! Under his guidance, not only did I manage to complete my open water & 3 x adventure dives in a mere 4 days but more importantly, I have developed a love for diving and a great appreciation for beauties of the underwater world. Thank you Big Blue Dahab!
Serenia

Windermere, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent, safe and straightforward service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

Big Blue Dahab provided an excellent service. They were safe, efficient but good fun and did a good job meeting the diverse diving needs of the two of us. Certainly we would go back to them if we return to dive in Dahab.