“Escape the madness...”
Review of Hike Dahab - CLOSED

Hike Dahab
Reviewed 17 October 2010

I did 2 excursions with the lovely Mady and her gorgeous dog Aqua at the end of September. One day was spent walking to the Blue Lagoon, where I spent a couple of hours snorkelling and relaxing and eating. The drift snorkel on the return to the Blue Hole rates as one of the best experiences of my life, absolutely magical. Mady's co-guide Viv then topped off the day with some fantastic home made banana bread. Heaven!!
The next evening a small group of us travelled from Dahab to a nearby wadi where we went for a short trek and then ate an excellent Bedouin cooked meal under a beautiful starlit sky.
I thoroughly recommend Mady and her trips. Both Mady and Aqua are great company, and the days are planned at a really relaxed pace, but never dull.
I am looking forward to my return so I can try another adventure with the girls!If you do the Blue Lagoon trek please try and smuggle Panda, a charismatic stray dog, back with you to Dahab. I can't stop thinking about him following us for about 30 minutes on our return before dubiously heading back to the lagoon. He deserves a better life...

Reviewed 3 October 2010

My wife and I went on a short walk with Hike Dahab in September 2010 through a series of local ravines. The excursion also included a Bedouin-cooked dinner and stargazing. The hike was well-led (Mady was super) and the scenery was tremendous. The dinner was also delicious.

We'd definitely recommend Hike Dahab for anyone looking to get out and explore the beautiful countryside around Dahab.

Reviewed 28 June 2010

Mady runs an excellent business, tailoring hikes to the requirements of her visitors. On a very hot evening we had a lovely shady walk in the wadis, and the best meal of our holiday in the desert just looking up at the stars. A lovely and different way to spend some time, and we look forward to doing more with Mady when we return next year. Oh and it's great value too!

Reviewed 8 April 2010

we just returned from a week furlough in Dahab. Prior to departure we arranged to go on Mady's 2-Day hike. We weren't really sure what we were getting ourselves into, but the adventure looked like the right pace so we took the plunge.

We really can't say enough positive things about HikeDahab.com and Mady. We noodled into the desert alongside the coast and stopped every so often for tea, nibbles and chats with the local Bedouins.

After a much anticipated arrival to our destination at Abu Hanza's in the Blue Lagoon, we decided to cool the limbs in the Red Sea. Whilst wadding through the water, I identified what I thought to be a flounder and some type of a grouper. After explaining to Mady that the 'grouper' looked like a large Japanese fighting fish, Mady briskly walked to the water's edge to identify the Torpedo Ray (capable of producing a 220 volt electric discharge) and the Lion Fish. She calmly explained the reasons not to move. We had a good laugh about it, but it goes to show that you really can't underestimate the value of having an informed and medic-ready individual on such adventures.

If you love dogs, Mady's fabulous canine beast will join you for the adventure. Aqua is such a great companion for the journey – she'll protect you and entertain you as she attempts to fly with the birds and maybe herd the goats.

Mady has clearly invested a tremendous amount of passion and energy into meeting the locals, finding magical spots amidst a huge desert and travelling in an environmentally and sustainable way. We loved the two-day hike so much, that we promptly booked the moon-rise dinner two days later.

The moon-rise dinner was another authentic experience. A small group of us took a short and easy hike up a craggy hill to a stunning overlook of the city of Dahab, the Red Sea, and Saudi Arabia. We witnessed the sunset plunge into the Sinai Mountains only to be greeted by the full moon elevating over the mountains of Saudi Arabia a half hour later. It was stunning. Once we descended we were greeted by Firaj and his friends who are some local Bedouins. Within minutes of arriving were sitting around a campfire on comfy cushions, sipping sweet Bedouin tea and fully engaged in conversation. Then they served us a delicious traditional meal until we could not eat anymore (portions are never an issue on Mady’s trips). After couple more teas and a couple more hours of chatting we were driven back to hour hotel having had yet again another fantastic experience.

We sincerely hope that more like-minded travelers get to join Mady and Agua on their adventures. We've posted out photos here:

Reviewed 19 March 2010

We went on a one day trip with Maddy and her dog in February. It is a great way to see something different-the Blue Lagoon is an amazing place. It was great to speak to the locals in the village, to eat beduin food and drink beduin tea. All these things we would have probably not done otherwise. I wish I had brought some toys or small presents for the kids in the village so that's something I would do next time. Deffinitely worth doing.