“A Dahab mUST - true treasure in the Desert”
Review of Hike Dahab - CLOSED

Hike Dahab
Reviewed 8 April 2010

we just returned from a week furlough in Dahab. Prior to departure we arranged to go on Mady's 2-Day hike. We weren't really sure what we were getting ourselves into, but the adventure looked like the right pace so we took the plunge.

We really can't say enough positive things about HikeDahab.com and Mady. We noodled into the desert alongside the coast and stopped every so often for tea, nibbles and chats with the local Bedouins.

After a much anticipated arrival to our destination at Abu Hanza's in the Blue Lagoon, we decided to cool the limbs in the Red Sea. Whilst wadding through the water, I identified what I thought to be a flounder and some type of a grouper. After explaining to Mady that the 'grouper' looked like a large Japanese fighting fish, Mady briskly walked to the water's edge to identify the Torpedo Ray (capable of producing a 220 volt electric discharge) and the Lion Fish. She calmly explained the reasons not to move. We had a good laugh about it, but it goes to show that you really can't underestimate the value of having an informed and medic-ready individual on such adventures.

If you love dogs, Mady's fabulous canine beast will join you for the adventure. Aqua is such a great companion for the journey – she'll protect you and entertain you as she attempts to fly with the birds and maybe herd the goats.

Mady has clearly invested a tremendous amount of passion and energy into meeting the locals, finding magical spots amidst a huge desert and travelling in an environmentally and sustainable way. We loved the two-day hike so much, that we promptly booked the moon-rise dinner two days later.

The moon-rise dinner was another authentic experience. A small group of us took a short and easy hike up a craggy hill to a stunning overlook of the city of Dahab, the Red Sea, and Saudi Arabia. We witnessed the sunset plunge into the Sinai Mountains only to be greeted by the full moon elevating over the mountains of Saudi Arabia a half hour later. It was stunning. Once we descended we were greeted by Firaj and his friends who are some local Bedouins. Within minutes of arriving were sitting around a campfire on comfy cushions, sipping sweet Bedouin tea and fully engaged in conversation. Then they served us a delicious traditional meal until we could not eat anymore (portions are never an issue on Mady’s trips). After couple more teas and a couple more hours of chatting we were driven back to hour hotel having had yet again another fantastic experience.

We sincerely hope that more like-minded travelers get to join Mady and Agua on their adventures. We've posted out photos here:

Reviewed 19 March 2010

We went on a one day trip with Maddy and her dog in February. It is a great way to see something different-the Blue Lagoon is an amazing place. It was great to speak to the locals in the village, to eat beduin food and drink beduin tea. All these things we would have probably not done otherwise. I wish I had brought some toys or small presents for the kids in the village so that's something I would do next time. Deffinitely worth doing.

Reviewed 8 March 2010

When we found Hike Dahab's website, my husband and I fell in love with the hikes they were offering - such gorgeous scenery, such amazing adventures waiting to be had... the only slight problem was that we were also travelling with two little children (4 and 6) and I couldn't be sure they would cope with that amount of walking, and being February the weather was also a little unpredictable, which would be fine for a grown-up but could make the difference between a successful day out and enduring hours of hell on earth if the kids were too cold, sunburnt or just too tired. Having said that, I couldn't go to Sinai without letting the kids experience some of the desert and Bedouin culture first-hand.

Luckily I aired my concerns with Mady who runs Hike Dahab and she quickly came up with a solution: a customised mini-hike just for us!

We didn't get very far off the beaten track this time because we only did a short hike, but it did feel very personal and intimate as we were Mady's only guests. Mady made sure the trip included all my top priorities, but was still manageable for tiny legs...

We had camels (mainly in case the girls got too tired with the walk but also just because it added so much fun for them). We then climbed up a big rocky hill (the girls believe this was one of the biggest mountains in the world!) and from there you could see the stunning view for miles around. The paths were precarious enough to be exhilarating to the children but thankfully not to the point that they were terrifying to a parent! We watched the sun set over the gorgeous silhouettes of the Sinai desert mountains. Then we sat round the fire in a cosy Bedouin camp with sweet herby tea. We had a very tasty Bedouin meal and chilled out a little more under the dazzling stars. When the girls began to get sleepy we called it a night and travelled back to Dahab in the jeep.

Faraj is a Bedouin and a father himself. He delighted my girls with magic tricks using stones and bits of string. He sang us a beautiful Bedouin song. He told the girls about how Bedouin children are given a camel at the age of 5 and ride them to school (this enchanted them so much that they considered leaving home and moving in with Faraj's family so they could have a camel too!).

Mady was a massive hit with the girls too. She had seemingly endless energy to play with them as they begged her to spin them round or play catch. It was a very relaxing night for me but she must've been exhausted!

Our kids are known for being very shy around new people but they were completely at ease that night. We all came away feeling like we'd spent a lovely evening with good friends and we will have warm memories for years to come.

Soon we will return and go on one of Mady's longer hikes - probably an overnighter. This little hike was the perfect way for us to test the water with the little ones, but now we've had a taste we just want more!

Reviewed 11 January 2010

I went on 2 trips with Mady, who is a Canadian ex-pat with an impressive outdoors pedigree, including being a dive instructor (and ergo a rescue diver) with over 1,500 logged dives. Though she no longer dives, she spends more time these days capitalising on her experience as an enthusiastic mountaineer. The hikes Mady leads in Dahab can be reasonable long (up to 20km), but the ones I went on were deliberately laidback and short, as we played it by ear based on the feeling of the rest of the group---an example of Mady's unwavering ability to accommodate the needs of the customers present. On another day, with different people, the experience could have been totally different and, in either case, it would have been guaranteed to be superb.

Mady did her utmost to ensure our small group was happy at all times, and was fantastic in arranging the local drivers, the most amazing Bedouin breakfast. The day was taken at our own pace, letting us stop for photos at our whim, spontaneously snorkelling when we hit a nice spot or two, and lounging around after our lunch, soaking up the sun as long as we liked.

In addition to leading the walks, Mady has a terrifically warm and sociable character with a wealth of stories to tell, a terrific joie de vivre and an immense amount of travel and world experience. She is conscious of the local environment and the welfare of its people, and is a true nature-lover. And her dog, Aqua, is adorable.

On a more serious note, Mady has outstanding first aid and rescue credentials, which came to the fore when I foolishly stumbled upon a rock when not paying attention. Mady's emergency first aid was terrific in disinfecting and bandaging in no more than 2 minutes an open wound that ultimately required 4 stitches. Mady was reassuring and a consummate professional at all times, and her rapid and response is the only reason I wasn't left with a much nastier more infected wound.

And, despite that accident, I had one of my best days of my 2-week stay in Dahab.

I joined Mady the following day for a New Year's walk in the desert, watching the sun set and the full moon rise on New Year's eve---a truly magical experience, made possible by her fantastic local knowledge of the best spots to go to see it---followed by a campfire Bedouin dinner.

Mady couldn't do enough to help, and was happy to offer her help generally around Dahab, whether it be a taxi, restaurant or massage recommendation. She also recommended to me a terrific trip to the White Canyon with a different guide, which was outstanding. I really felt that, more than being an outstanding trip coordinator and guide, she became a valuable friend and source of local expertise.

Mady, sincere thanks for all your help and the terrific time I had on your trips. To anyone reading this, be sure to join Mady on one of her day (or overnight) hikes, if you have any time off diving at all. It's by far one of the best things you can do in Dahab.

1  Thank Ajaymonster
Reviewed 4 January 2010

Mady and her delightful Golden Retriever Aqua lead us on a lovely day walk (approximately 18km's) through a virtually untouched and amazingly beautiful landscape (mountains, sand, clear blue / green water and untouched coral reefs). She (and her dog) were wonderful company and both made us feel totally at ease the instant we met. Mady is also an environmentally conscious tour leader which we appreciated. We had 2 fabulous Bedouin meals along our hike (breakfast and lunch) which was delicious and healthy. It was a spectacular day and one my partner and I remember with delight. Definitely one of the top highlights of our 3 week trip through Egypt and Jordan! We note that there are not many reviews for her on TripAdvisor but we heard about her through various groups of travellers while we were in Dahab who highly recommended her trips. A MUST DO in Dahab. You will not be disappointed.