“Family get together”
Review of The Diving Horse

The Diving Horse
Reserve with OpenTable
The Diving Horse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 67 Restaurants in Avalon
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 21st & Dune Drive
Reviewed 12 August 2017

Whenever we visit the shore we make a point to hit TDH at least once for dinner. On this occasion we were a party of eleven and I must make special mention of the attention the staff gave to enabling us to be seated together at one table. Our family ranged from a five year old to a tweener and a teenager to six adults to our two 80+ year old parents. I also cannot say enough about our server, Anna, and the team that took such good care of us. Anything we needed was addressed and Anna's patience and understanding throughout our visit was so appreciated. As always, the food was delicious and there were many experiences at the table from old standbys like the wedge and the mussels and clam stew to new tries like the tuna tartare, pork rillettes, the halibut (subbing for the fluke on the night of our visit), the tuna entree and the zucchini appetizer. The only disappointment was the usually awesome tilefish; it was nicely prepared but, for our tastes (two of tried it), the flavors in the sauce way overpowered the delicate nature of this fish. Everyone loved their desserts, the beignets were a big hit and the panna cotta, mousse and ripple ice cream were much enjoyed. We have been here many times but I cannot express my thanks enough to the whole staff, especially Anna, for making our night such a pleasant and enjoyable experience!

There are newer reviews for The Diving Horse

Reviewed 10 August 2017

I was taken to this restaurant with the impression that I would eat and see a very healthy menu.The servings are small,i say overpriced and nowhere to go.They serve great food but my companion and I eat different dishes and where not impressed.Ala carte and Very expensive.Lovely environment but I think they could do better.They have a KIT KAT BAR desert for $11 .This is One bar covered in chocolate.Kit kat has 4 wafers and is $2 all day long.Shame.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

My husband & I finally made it to the Diving Horse (it's been open for several years!). We had heard many great things from friends & family in the past but never got around to going. We were told in the past that serving sizes were small which was a bit of a deterrent to my husband...but I decided it was time.

We both had the mixed greens salad with peaches & peppercorn ranch dressing which were substantial in size & delicious! The fluke was unavailable but was replaced with halibut - which I ordered. It was served over red lentil with a cucumber & radish salad & tahini ranch - wow! The fish was perfectly cooked & it was fantastic! My husband had the strip steak special that he loved. I really felt that the portions were the perfect size & the food was well prepared & beautifully presented.

It's a charming restaurant - I love the rustic wooden tables, hardwood floors & the paintings of diving horses suited up and in their goggles.

Everything was great & we will probably come back - maybe once a summer. The only downside is the cost. The steak special was a hefty $58 & the halibut was $36 & with salads at $15 a piece with a coffee & 3 scoops of ice cream ($3 per scoop!) our total was $140 before tip! I know Avalon's restaurants are overpriced but wow!!!!! It's hard to justify spending that much on dinner often. If you are looking for great food & money is no object - then enjoy!!!!

Reviewed 1 August 2017

Visited The Diving Horse the end of July. The service was great and it operates a BYOB policy which is appreciated.
To start we split the mussels and clams dish and for mains we had the tuna dish and pork chop dish and a boardwalk fries. The blueberry sauce for the pork I had never experienced and was very impressed wit. The tuna was beautifully cooked and the vegetables beautifully chosen to accompany it. The staff were helpful and efficient.

I would highly recommend The Diving Horse

Reviewed 10 July 2017

A very special restaurant. Excellent service and unique offerings that were delicious.
Great for a wonderful evening out!