Firstly I think it's important to realise this hotel is not a Hilton or a Sheraton.
This hotel is an eco hotel in the Galapagos Islands.
The rooms are simply furnished and elegant but definitely not plush luxury. I think they suit their location extremely well. The bathrooms are supplied with L'occitane products and have the best water pressure of any hotel I've ever stayed in.
The hotel comes with sea-lions, red crabs and marine iguanas on their own deck (suitably separated from the paying guests by a low fence). They are noisy at times and smell a bit, but it's the Galapagos, that's what you're there for.
It is built in a mangrove forest at the edge of town so it's quiet and there is an element of earthiness to the place.
This is a most interesting and unique hotel.
It has recently changed ownership and looking back at reviews over the last few years it has clearly come a very long way in the last 6 months.
I loved it.
The wildlife on the deck is an unending source of fascination.
The staff were friendly, attentive and helpful (and patient with my poor, at best, knowledge of Spanish).
The hotel had arranged a series of day tours as part of my package and the reception staff were careful to find me each day and ensure that breakfast was timed for my pick-up next morning.
The restaurant is excellent, and attracts a large local crowd - almost every night of my 8 day stay it was pretty full - which makes it a bit less intimate for guests. But the food is very good.
If you are heading to the Galapagos and thinking of staying in Puerto Ayora put this place on your list.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Red Mangrove is an oceanfront hotel with the best views of Academy Bay, located in Puerto Ayora. The hotel is the perfect place for Galapagos visitors to stay considering many activities like snorkeling, hiking, beaches, swimming, kayaking, and visiting the Charles Darwin Center are just minutes away. Why else is the Red Mangrove a good decision? For those who are prone to seasickness the hotel gives you a stay where you feel just like you're on the water with the option to choose different packages with the activities mentioned. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Red Mangrove Ecoluxury Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Red Mangrove Aventura Hotel Puerto Ayora
- Hotel Red Mangrove Aventura
- Red Mangrove Ecoluxury Hotel Galapagos Islands/Puerto Ayora