“False advertising”

Galapagos Islands Hotel
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Puerto Ayora
Reviewed 3 September 2011

I had booked the Casa Natura based on the reviews and also their website which depicts the hotel as a charming boutique hotel. Sadly there was nothing charming about this hotel.

When we arrived to the hotel and I checked out the "pool" area it looked nothing more then a mosquito bathing pool to me and that the property had not been repainted or used in a few years. Our room faced the back, which again was the sad sight of the "pool area" but also just a dismal looking sight of construction around.

The bathroom was ok and we did have hot water but my bedding was stained and also they did not provide mattress pads on the beds which grossed me out, besides the stained bedding. I don't know why they would put down stained sheets to paying customers as they were pretty visible stains.

The hotel does try to scam you on the taxi service so anyone coming in DO NOT Book it with this hotel. They told me it would cost $40 PER PERSON...so $80 for 2 people to take you to town meanwhile the taxi service that is provided by town has a flat fee of $18. This corporation in Quito just is trying to take advantage of people who would book a taxi with them for convenience sake but don't do it. They had no answer to why they would charge per person when i asked considering the driver would be going to the same location. What a scam.

Also same message regarding their tours. I was hesitant to book with them and glad I didn't as they DOUBLED the pricing on what other people paid on tours that our friends at the hotel went on. Not like a 20 dollar surcharge but DOUBLE. A rip off.

I also had problems the evening after I checked in as my company that I used like Expedia did not update the reservation to 2 people as I had asked. The guy working the front desk called at 9pm to say I would have to pay another 100 to stay in the hotel, meanwhile it should have only been $45 according to the travel company. Again, trying to scam the customer out of more money then actually they advertise.

That morning I checked out.

Between the unhygienic bedding, not charming hotel atmosphere and false advertising of pool and breakfast being nothing more then a vat of eggs (not so good) I was happy to leave and switch to a WONDERFUL hotel worth every penny on the Island (Angermeyer)

The only positive experience I had was with Amy, the hotel manager, who was patient and understanding when explaining my disappointment with the hotel.

Its sad that I had already prepaid $600 and nothing could be done for a refund, nor were my complaints to corporate office dealt with as they said "they will get back to me". I wasted so much money and had such a stressful arrival to my trip at the Galapagos.

Don't waste your money here as they will do everything to scam and get yours.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank CherL7
esvede, Director of Sales at Galapagos Islands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2011

Dear Sir/Madam

The reservation was made by International Vacation for a single room, not through us. You came to the Hotel with another passenger and therefore had to charge the extra for the additional person but our company did not charge anything extra for the passenger. About the price ($18,00 ) for transportation services, is when the services are public, not private. We apologize for inconveniences, but as I said we did not charge anything for the extra passenger, even we provide all necessary assistance. All services are cheaper, tours, transportation, etc., when they are public and not private services. And we think some photos you upload are not of the Hotel and does not represent our product.

Reviewed 11 July 2011

The staff is wonderful especially Amy. Room was spacious and clean. The only drawback for some was that the hotel is not in town but the staff called a cab and a 3 minute ride for $1.00 brought us into town.

Very quiet at night.

Breakfast buffet was wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank vegasitalian
Reviewed 7 April 2011

I was one month ago in Puerto Ayora with my wife.. We choose un Unforgettable Package of 5 days 4 nights. Our guide Jaime was very knowledgeable and friendly. The staff of the hotel extremely helpful and curtious at all times. The schedule, food, and accomodations were perfect. My wife and I have traveled a lot over the years, but this is the first time that when I travel I don’t have to worry about anything. We learn and enjoy in each of our day tours as Santa Fe, Isabela and Floreana a lot of history . We for sure be back to Hotel Casa Natura.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Klaus1901
Reviewed 27 January 2011

My journey from Madrid to Galapagos was everyone's nightmare, delayed BA flight to Madrid, lost connection to Quito, no luggage for 5 days! However, this is the place to stay if you want to find your luiggage and still take your tours. Carlos and his colleagues were fantastic, calling Iberia daily, and eventually TAME daily to find my luggage and so letting me continue my tours. The hotel itself is great, small, cosy, friendly and a 10 minute walk from the port and Charles Darwin Research Station.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank philter1000
Reviewed 12 January 2011

Great pleasant spot to be in Galapagos, spacious rooms, clean environment, good breakfast, attentive personal, close to main boulevard (10 min walking distance). We spent 4 nights and it was nice experience.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple