“Comfy rooms, good view, friendly staff, and lots of amenities”

Grand Hotel Lobo de Mar
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Puerto Ayora
Portland, Oregon
“Comfy rooms, good view, friendly staff, and lots of amenities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

I stayed here on a recent trip to Santa Cruz as part of a package deal. For that reason I can't discuss the price but I can discuss the hotel itself.

The positives:

I've stayed at several hotels on the islands and I found this one to be particularly nice. The rooms are comfortable with soft beds and nice pillows. There was a TV in our room as well as a large closet. We had a private bathroom with a hot shower (complete with good water pressure). The window didn't open but when we walked outside we had a view of the ocean and could hear the waves crashing at night (we were on the second floor).

The walk to town took about 2min - an ideal spot for easy access to shopping, the pier, and some nearby beaches. From the hotel it took about 25min (walking) to reach the Charles Darwin Research Station and 40min to reach Tortuga Bay.

The staff was very friendly and courteous. There was a pool in the lobby and an additional one around the side. Though I spent my time in the ocean I heard the water was nice. There was also an area with a pool table which helped to pass the evenings and well as chairs on the balcony where you could relax or read.

The negatives:

We did have a roach in our room. It didn't bother us too much and that's not entirely unexpected for the islands. I don't know of others had this problem but it wasn't a huge deal. The cleaning staff also seemed very thorough - we only saw it our first two nights of a four night stay.

The area right outside the hotel has a bit of an unpleasant smell. There are actually a few places on the island with this issue so again, not a huge deal.

Lastly, the internet is very slow. Early in the morning or late at night is best but you may need to go to an internet cafe (Galapagos Online just 3min away on the boardwalk worked great) if you need to download files, Skype, or sometimes even to check email.

Overall:

Really enjoyed my stay and would return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the ocean if you don't mind hearing the waves. There aren't el...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Limegreenpeach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Innsbruck, Austria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

We didn't enjoy our stay at the hotel at all. Especially not for that price. The swimming pool was filthy as well as the rooms. The included breakfast was a joke and the staff was neither helpful nor friendly.
The only good thing about the hotel is its location and the view over the harbor. We checked out after three nights to move into another hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Ayora hotels

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

We stayed four days in Galapagos islands. The Island itself is great, wow, amazing.

The hotel is located near the sea, which is great. you can go on the rocky beach and see a lots of craps and marine iguanas.

Cleanliness in the hotel is OK and the service is fine. We had a package deal with breakfast and dinners, but meals didn't have the value nor the taste... So after first day we went out for supper.

Room Tip: Ask a room with a sea view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

Very good location, terrible rooms, bad food, if you can spend 100usd more go to another hotel do not choose Lobo de Mar

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank juanrek
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

Liars and Thieves……I can’t stand them. I accidently forgot to take my charging cell phone when I left the room.
I went back for it and the front desk person told me it’s too late you already check out. I said it doesn’t matter it is still my phone.
I asked to go back to the room and look with the worker who cleaned the room. He said he didn’t see my phone.
The customer service was lousy, the food sucked and the rooms were awful, dirty, and overpriced.
The odor was terrible...it was a bad experience and don’t really want to think about it.
I would not recommend the hotel. Grand it was not! Never stay there.
Yuck!