All reviews police station clams hot water small fridge central location puerto ayora balcony turtles hostel wifi units maid galapagos pier
Reviewed 13 January 2017

Two young adult daughters and I shared a three bedroom, 2 room suite facing the bay -- with beautiful views and deck where we could watch the sunset, view iguanas and crabs and other sealife below us, and listen to the waves at night. Comfortable beds, very clean with working hot water for showers. VERY reasonable rate, no breakfast, but there is a refrigerator and grocery stores nearby to buy items for mornings, and many good cafes nearby. Hotel staff loaned us spoons and a knife for cereal and bread and jam that we purchased. Centrally located, yet on the beach! Internet was free, but not great -- however that was not a hotel issue, was same for entire island.

Room tip: We had corner suite upstairs to left facing bay.
Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank muirfan
Reviewed 14 September 2016

Is a good place for group travellers and shared rooms. You will enjoy the view (outside of the rooms) but the room itself is cheap, beds are old and bathrooms are not well take care. Stay here if you are in a budget, do not stay if you are looking for a romantic getaway.

Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank matheojim
Reviewed 29 August 2016

This Hostal/hotel (it's described as both, interchangeably) gets 5/5 from me just for the location. The rooms are basic and there's no lounge/breakfast included, but it's clean and safe, and the sea view rooms cannot be beaten. On one day we saw sea lions, crabs, marine iguanas, turtles, sharks, pelicans and frigate birds from the balcony outside our room. Possibly the best value in the Galapagos!

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emilie4eva
Reviewed 24 August 2016

This is a very basic and simple hotel, as are all on the island. I did a lot of research before booking and the prices are usually $12-$50/ night for hostal/ hotels, or $300 - $500/ night for the more expensive "luxury" hotels. This one has a better view than most of the luxury hotels and has everything you'll need. Since you won't likely be spending much time in your room, I can't even imagine what the "luxury" hotels have that you may want, that this one does not.
Beds are surprisingly comfortable, mini-fridge, very decent A/C units...
The owner, Angel, is very kind and easy to work with - a man of his word. Wonderful and friendly staff too.
Community balcony with 180 degree views (better than all others on the island but 1 a half hour away form town)
Wi-fi is only in the lobby (unless you get a room right next to it).
The only things that might be lacking compared to a standard US hotel, are more because of the island and not because of the hotel (like not flushing paper and the very occasional power loss).
This hotel is right next to the police station, not that you'll encounter any crime; and is very close to the port, without the foot traffic of it.
I will certainly be back and won't stay anywhere else.

Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank GwendalynA
Reviewed 4 August 2016

What would your dream house have? A master bedroom with private bathroom? A balcony overlooking a pristine view of the Pacific Ocean where you can observe sea lions, red crabs, marine iguanas and tortoises in their natural environment? Cool breezes and the sound of surf all night negating the need for the roar of an air conditioner? And maid service to boot?

Then this may be the place for you.

If your dream house has a big lobby to walk through, overpriced bar and or restaurant, lots of lots of fellow inhabitants, and a big price tag, you might want to look for a "hotel".

This place is perfect for a place to sleep, relax, and a base of operations. Are you coming to the Galapagos to use the hotel all day? Yes, get a nice hotel with a lobby to sit in.

It is perfectly located in the heart of the town. You will lack for nothing within a 10 minute walking radius... bars, restaurants, shopping (tourist and supermarket), the famous fish market. Five major tourist attractions are within walking distance of this place... you can easily organize two days of adventures from here within paying a dime for organized tours.

Angel at the desk will give you a suggested intinerary if you ask. He is a great guy! Gracias, Angel!

I booked well in advance through Booking.com and it was a flawless process. Once I had my booking I communicated via e-mail to confirm directly, and Angel replied immediately. When I arrived in Ecuador some days in advance, I called to confirm. Great communications!!!!

In August 2016 I paid $50 a night. I was more than happy with that price.

Things to consider... the hot water in the shower is a bit variable or slow in coming at times. No big deal for me. And they don´t speak English, which may hinder some of you in picking this place if that sort of thing intimidates you. I speak enough Spanish to communicate, so it wasn´t a problem for me. If you´re going all the way to the Galpagos you must be adventurous enough to communicate with folk in foreign lands, right?

Also, there are outside lights on other properties (the police station is next door) that ensure your room is not pitch dark all night. If you need that, bring a sleeping mask. I used "exhaustion" as a sleep aid :)

Funny story... I was sitting in a bar having a beer when it occurred to me "what am I doing here when I have a much better option back at my room?" Went to the supermarket, picked up my own drinks, and returned to my own balcony for the view, the breeze, and the free wifi. Marvelous.

Check out the photos others have posted. As great as they look, being there was even better. I had Room 9 which was upstairs, ocean view, end of the balcony. I was so happy when I saw what I had scored, and equally happy every day of using it.

If I ever return to Galapagos, it´ll be here. Room 9. Unless you booked it already :)

Room tip: Three rooms on second floor with ocean view and balcony
Date of stay: August 2016