Grand Hotel Bonavia
US$66
Hostel 1W(Rijeka)(Great Value!)
US$82
Agoda.com
Youth Hostel Rijeka(Rijeka)(Great Value!)
Hostel Dharma(Rijeka)(Great Value!)
Fun Hostel(Rijeka)(Great Value!)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsnice hotelhotel is locatedmain pedestrian zoneoverall impressioncoffee machinemajor complaintone nightwalking distancebig roommiddle of townbreakfast was includedold townnice staffsaunacitycroatiapersonnel
Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

I stayed at a single room and when I walked in the room, I could not believe how small it is. There is a small single bed attached to one of the wall (very rare for 4* hotel to put the bed right next to a wall) and the size of the room is around half the size of my friends room, which was a double room. Furniture were very dated and the bathroom is also very small, where you can hardly move. If you are single traveler, I would not recommend this hotel, as it is definitely not worth what you paid for.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank lkwsiy
VlatkaStanic, General Manager at Grand Hotel Bonavia, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2017

Dear Ikwsiy,

thank you for choosing Grand hotel Bonavia for your stay and your kind review.
We regret to learn the hotel did not meet your expectations and comments like yours provide a valuable insights into direction of future planning and development. We take this opportunity to advise that partial renovation is already planned for forthcoming months and year and do not doubt that it will surely bring our hotel a brand new shine and more wonderful experiences to our guests.
We hope you will present us with an opportunity to welcome you again in Rijeka and send our best regards,

Reviewed 27 May 2017

We have travelled extensively and in recent years have stayed in over 100 hotels so this revue has some basis for accuracy. The staff at Bonavia--every one of them were disinterested. The worst we encountered were those working the breakfast room and diners (not only us) were not made welcome nor attended to with any degree of enthusiasm. Their attitude did not do justice to an hotel which otherwise was excellent

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan P
VlatkaStanic, General Manager at Grand Hotel Bonavia, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2017

Dear Alan P,

Thank you for choosing Grand hotel Bonavia for your stay and for taking time for sharing your comments with us.

We thank you for your lovely words for our hotel, and we hope you enjoyed your stay with us. We would also like to use this opportunity to inform you that we take the impressions of our guests very seriously and hereby thank you for addressing issues that need further attention. Please note that all the needed measures are already taken in order to increase mentioned service level and fulfil expectations without exceptions.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in Rijeka and send our best regards,

Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

We stayed in the Hotel Bonavia for one night as we traveled between Zadar and Pula. It was a nice hotel, with a comfortable bed and a big room with a lovely view from our 6th floor room (this was great for watching the massive storm that happened during our stay!) The breakfast was very nice and apparently the hotel has a wellness suite- though we didn't use this. It is well located for the bars, restaurants and shops of Rijeka and is close to the bus station. We thought that bedroom would benefit from a kettle but other than that it was great.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Gemma,

Thank you for taking time and leaving an amazing feedback about the stay in Grand hotel Bonavia.
We are committed on providing to our dear guests beautiful moments and a service of a high quality. It’s a great honour knowing that we fulfilled all your expectations. Thank you one more time for the kind words and recommendations, and we are very glad to hear you enjoyed the storm - the view from the top floors can be quite impressive! Thank you as well for your suggestion for a kettle in the room, it had been noted and will be added to our development planing.
Hope to welcome you back soon in the nearer future for another great stay,

Kind regards from Rijeka,

Reviewed 23 May 2017

I have got some 20 years of experience with this hotel. If you are in Rijeka for business it is ideally located. If you are in Rijeka for pleasure, again, it is ideally located. The staff is excellent and you can certainly feel at home there. Cuisine is also excellent, and you can see many important local people sitting in the lobby bar chatting and drinking coffee. Lions also meet there (we had the convention there few days ago).

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
VlatkaStanic, General Manager at Grand Hotel Bonavia, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2017

Dear Mr. Saric,

On behalf of the entire team, thank you for your lovely words and recommendations dedicated to the hotel, it’s brand and related services.
We are especially thankful to read positive impressions coming from our returning guests and hereby thank you for your loyalty for the past 20 years. Comments like yours are giving us a special motivation, and it’s very encouraging to know that the hard work from our staff is recognized and valued.
We will do our utmost to continue being your top choice in Rijeka and send our warm regards,

Reviewed 1 April 2017

I stayed here one night (which was enough) while doing business in Rijeka. This is the best hotel in the center of town. And pretty much the only hotel in the center of town. So if you have to be in the center of town, stay here. That's what I did.
That said, I wouldn't do it again unless I really, really (really) needed to be situated here. In the future, I will stay in the resort town/suburb of Opatija (about 8 miles away) where the hotels are much better and depending on the time of year, considerably cheaper (that changes in summer).
The hotel looks sleek on the outside thanks to a mirrored facade, but make no mistake. It's a cranky old workhorse that gets the job done but that's it.
I arrived early (before noon) and was allowed an early check-in (it didn't seem like it was going to happen and I was resigned to that fact... funnily enough, I think my resignation made the efficient clerk feel sorry for me so he made it happen).
As I arrived early, I also got what was available... a not small but not big room that was at once not that bad yet totally depressing at the same time. It had a dreary view of the school athletic court adjacent to the hotel... which gets really loud when kids are playing. And they play hard.
The room came with a not great bed and the carpet and fabrics have all seen better days (without being terrible). There was a little desk with a little chair that broke underneath me... it could have been broken beforehand... as I am not a heavy guy and all I did was sit down. The bathroom was vintage 25 year-old European style... I definitely had some deja vu for my visits to the continent in the 1990s.
Breakfast was included and was extremely well-stocked and tasty and held in a brightly lit interior room devoid of character. Wifi was free. Staff was uniformly good without being outgoing or overtly friendly... which is a little like the Croatian people on the whole (and I can say that as I have family there). It's part of the charm of this part of Europe... it's not backward but it's not cutting edge either. It's like going back in time... my room certainly was dated.
Would I stay here again? Maybe, depending on my schedule. But only in a better room category... with a view towards the Sea. Otherwise, if you're in this area and don't need to be in the center of town (a town which I think is charming, btw), definitely opt for Opatija.

Room Tip: Avoid the courtyard rooms at all cost... they are beyond dreary
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Andrew W
VlatkaStanic, General Manager at Grand Hotel Bonavia, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2017

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for choosing Grand hotel Bonavia for your stay in Rijeka and taking the time for your kind review.

We were happy to learn you enjoyed hotel's location, breakfast selection, complimentary WiFi and our staff, however regret to hear that the hotel was not in line with your expectations and express our sincere apologies for the inconvenience with desk chair. As we take the suggestions of our guests as a priority in order to implement the possible improvements, we thank you for them and inform you that they have already been addressed and that the hotel is planning a partial refurbishment in the forthcoming period which while surely contribute to hotel’s ambiance and contemporary feel.

We use this occasion to invite you to explore a wide range of accommodation categories presented at our website in order to choose the one that would better suit your preferences for your future stay. Our team is available for any further questions, and please do not hesitate to contact us. We hope to see you again in Rijeka and send our best regards!

Vlatka Stanic