“Thankfully, we got out alive!”

and 1 more site!
The Chelsea Pub and Inn
New Jersey
“Thankfully, we got out alive!”
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I have no idea how this place has so many positive reviews. I feel like management must be writing them.

We booked the room for two nights and when we got there, we were already a bit skeptical because the inn looked really run down from the outside and the steps were scary leading into the house. It took forever for someone to answer the door and the woman who did didn't speak English very well and couldn't answer any of our questions. She handed us a key and told us our room was on the second floor. The ascent was terrifying! The steps are slanted and crooked and scary. The floors in general are in all different directions; we felt like we were in an Escher painting. When we finally got to our room, we felt like we were in a hostel (a hostel for $150/night.....) It was extremely simple but not very clean (stains on chair, in bathtub) and the walls were painted four different colors. Odd. I opened a window to see if there was a fire escape (the place looked about ready to burn down, not helped by the heavy curtains which laid right on the radiator!) and of course there wasn't..... and there also weren't screens on the windows! It was just a three story drop out of those huge windows! I asked the lady downstairs where the fire escape was on the third floor and she said there wasn't one. Um, isn't that illegal?

Anyway, as we went for my husband's birthday, I was literally in tears. There's a big convention in town so literally EVERY HOTEL was 100% booked. I also had a panic attack going back up to the room, feeling so unsafe and thinking we were stuck there and that I ruined my husband's birthday. Luckily, I found a hotel in Galloway (10 minute drive from AC) for the same price a night and asked if I could be refunded my $ because of how unsafe and uncomfortable I felt. Luckily, since it was such a busy weekend and many people were asking about available rooms, she agreed to refund me - minus a $50 fee. I argued about that and eventually she gave me my $50 back as well, so no complaints there.

One final thing: there was basically a party going on in the room below me. You could hear every single word being said by every drunken twenty-something in the room. Trying to sleep would have been a NIGHTMARE. I am so glad to have found this beautiful resort (Seaview) in Galloway so my husband's birthday weekend wasn't ruined. Seriously save yourself the trouble and disgust and find somewhere else to stay, ANYWHERE else!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank CelticCail

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 November 2011

We stayed here on a saturday night for half the price of the Tropicana but right next to it. The parking was free, and the breakfast was free and decent. The owner greeted us in the morning and played with my dog. Would stay again. If you want to sit in the lobby and read or use the free wi-fi its worth the stay. Note though, we stayed on a saturday in October which is the off season. The bar was open but only had a few people in it and the outdoor part was closed as it was about 45 degrees out. In the summer this place probably is different than my review.

Room Tip: If you travel with a dog ask to be put away from other guests. If you don't want to hear a dog b...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chris f
New Jersey
Reviewed 23 October 2011

We stayed at the Chelsea Pub and Inn for one night in mid October as my husband was participating at the Atlantic City Marathon on 10/16/11. We looked for an affordable place that was not the typical Casino hotel for a quiet night to relax.

The Chelsea Pub and Inn is an eclectic Victorian building located 2 blocks from the Atlantic City boardwalk and across the street from the Tropicana Hotel. The Inn features several rooms with private baths that sleep up to 4 people. There is a pub located on the premises open 24 hours, which is convenient for people looking to get some food and drinks right or simply play some pool at the premises. A great convenience is that The Chelsea Inn has free parking adjacent to the property. The staff was very attentive and bilingual (English - Spanish).

We stayed at room #5 see attached pictures). The room was very nice, well kept, clean and comfortable. The towel service and bed comfort were very good. The room had a private bath, flat screen TV, a small closet with a refrigerator stocked with complimentary drinks. The only thing I found inconvenient is the fact that we could not open the bedroom windows, only the bathroom one. Noise level was very acceptable from the outside (at least the night we stayed at), but we were staying off season when there were less people visiting AC.

The morning of the marathon the Inn served a special breakfast for runners at 7:30 am but it was still a bit too late to take advantage of it (no options to pack a breakfast to go for the runners, it would have been a nice feature to serve). Good thing there is a Dunkin Donuts open 24 hours next to the Inn.

I returned to the Inn for the breakfast (while my husband was running) which is served between 9-11 am. I was greatly impressed with the breakfast options and the buffet settings. The Sunday buffet offered scrambled eggs with bacon and sausages, several kinds of breads, variety of cold colds, great selection of cheeses, boxed cereals, fresh and canned juices, variety of muffins and cakes, fresh fruits, coffee, tea, milk, etc. It was plentiful and had the option to pack some food to bring to my husband once he finished his marathon run.

One other item to consider is that the rooms are on the second and third floor (relative to the ground level) and there is no elevator. So, if you have difficulties climbing up or down stairs, this may not be your place. There is a patio in front of the office lobby. Awesome to just sit and relax there. Get a drink from the pub and talk or just chill.

Overall, this hotel served as a nice place to stay for one night. If you just want a decent place to spend the night with a quaint look and at a reasonable price, this is a safe bet. The free parking, buffet breakfast and complimentary drinks were great perks.

Room Tip: Call the Inn in advance to find out what type of rooms are available to make your stay the most enjo...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cgparis
Dunellen, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I am never ever disappointed in the service and the atmosphere. I will not stay any where else.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank vinnycath
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 21 August 2011

This is the 2nd year that I have stayed at the Chelsea Inn for my birthday. It is a very nice bed and breakfast place and they go out of their way to make sure the guests stay is memorable. When i got in my room, the inn had a cake, bottle of wine and roses waiting for me. I was very shocked by their generosity and how they made it a point to make my day very special. You cannot get that at the casino hotels. The room we stayed in was clean and suited our means. I will definitely being going back to the Chelsea Inn.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple