All reviewsdel solcoco's barrestaurants offerkids clubnew constructionthe beach is greatshaded areasmultiple optionsnice poolocean viewair conditioningtayrona parkbreakfast was includedbohioiguanasbungalowxxi
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We just returned from a trip to Irotama XXI-excellent time. Accommodations very clean and lots of things to do. Beautiful pools- very warm ocean! Staff very friendly and helpful. If visiting Santa Marta- well worth a visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank kcretired
Reviewed 14 June 2012

My husband, two children, and I were there for 5 nights this past week! They describe this resort as 5 star but please remember you are not in the US, you are in Colombia. You cannot expect to get the service you would receive in the states. That aside, we really enjoyed our stay. They have soccer, volley ball, and ping pong on the beach, all you do is request the balls with the activities department. Breakfast is really good, a buffet, with an egg station( not omelet). They have aerobics on the beach every morning. Family game time every night at 9pm. Nanny service is available at your cost. Nice pool, as pictured. We stayed at the bungalow, which is the most economic stay. They have 3 building available for the more higher paying guest. Several restaurants on site. Pools on the hotels are also available for all. Free transportation to and from Santa Marta and El Rodadero which are the 2 nearest cities. There are many many more things to brag about but you can just try out yourself. Very very very family friendly. I didn't see many American guest mainly guests from other parts of Colombia. ( lots of women with plastic surgery)...just some extra information for you, je je!

Room Tip: I stayed at the most economic, the bungalow. Nice and clean.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank URTRVLGRL
Reviewed 19 March 2012

there is a ton of activities and things to do, there are a lot of restaurants and bars which gives you a nice variety. the hotel is a little far from the actual city of santa marta which can be nice but also could be a pian if you want to get to know the city.
there is recreation for the kids and a lot of plants and animals.
the semi-private beach is definitely a plus

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank xsv_66
Reviewed 2 March 2012

The best time of the year to go is on the off season. Why? The resort is relaxed and the activities are not over crowed. There is a pool on the top of one of the larger buildings and there is a wider more open pool near the buffet area. This pool includes a slide, a childrens pool and a hot tub. There are dancing, bingo, a bonfire and several other activities to do if your not swimming. There are swings and play sets, a daycare center and activities like making cookies, playing soccer or building sand castle competitions. I did not try the internet but I believe that if you are located in the bungalow's like we were that you will find yourself happier with the service. The bungalows have good air conditioning and the maids were wonderful. Our daughter was allergic to the soap on the sheets, they replaced all the fabric, even the curtains to make the entire experience more enjoyable. The water warms up nicely and the hotel is nice enough to place a safe in each room so that a persons valuables are always safe. The hotel greeted us with cocktails and spent time debating with my husband the best way to arrange our weeks food services. We signed for each of our meals and used the buffet and when we wanted something like the meals from the USA we arranged for a specific dish to be made. If you have the time I recommend taking a boat to the homemade aquarium. It is nothing like that which is in Chicago, IL but it is a simple relaxed day. We saw a walrus and dolphins perform tricks and my 4 year old loved it. We also stopped at a local beach, you can talk with the boat driver to arrange this and we went snorkeling. This was a first for me and since I am afraid of putting my face in water I had a difficult time getting use to the idea but the locals were calm and let me go at my pace. They usually do this in groups, and remember these are local people who do this daily so they are not going to go too far out, or go too deep but they are capable of handling a group of 8 or so without difficulty. Overall, we will be going back because the people were friendly, the week was relaxed and although I sure wished I had brought snack foods, which I recommend, our family enjoyed ourselves. There are more american style hotel rooms but since I enjoy my husbands laid back nature and wanted to be away from the majority of the people we used the bungalows. I recommend them. Also, if you get a chance try to check out the lizard lake.. it has some iguana's. We even made a game to see how many we all could find.

Room Tip: If you like quiet go for the bungalow's
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Phaze86
Reviewed 5 October 2011

We spent 4 days at the Irotama del Sol. The room was modern, the AC worked great, bed was comfortable, internet worked 5 minutes per day tops. Beach is 1 kilometer and beautiful, A few vendors approach ever hour but were not obtrusive. The staff was very friendly it helped that my wife is from Colombia. The food was OK plenty of fresh fruits, breads, juices, only 2 restaurants were open at a time limiting your choices. Overall a well kept up property with local birds and a few iguanas in a tropical setting with lots of vegetation. The problem came when we checked out and there were numerous charges for things we thought were included. After an hour or so we got things straightened out but still had to pay something. If you decide to stay here make SURE you know exactly what is covered in the all inclusive and what is not. The resort is located a distance from the city and you need to take transportation to get anywhere.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple