“Colombia a week before Christmas”
Review of Irotama Resort

Irotama Resort
Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Santa Marta
Reviewed 2 March 2012

The best time of the year to go is on the off season. Why? The resort is relaxed and the activities are not over crowed. There is a pool on the top of one of the larger buildings and there is a wider more open pool near the buffet area. This pool includes a slide, a childrens pool and a hot tub. There are dancing, bingo, a bonfire and several other activities to do if your not swimming. There are swings and play sets, a daycare center and activities like making cookies, playing soccer or building sand castle competitions. I did not try the internet but I believe that if you are located in the bungalow's like we were that you will find yourself happier with the service. The bungalows have good air conditioning and the maids were wonderful. Our daughter was allergic to the soap on the sheets, they replaced all the fabric, even the curtains to make the entire experience more enjoyable. The water warms up nicely and the hotel is nice enough to place a safe in each room so that a persons valuables are always safe. The hotel greeted us with cocktails and spent time debating with my husband the best way to arrange our weeks food services. We signed for each of our meals and used the buffet and when we wanted something like the meals from the USA we arranged for a specific dish to be made. If you have the time I recommend taking a boat to the homemade aquarium. It is nothing like that which is in Chicago, IL but it is a simple relaxed day. We saw a walrus and dolphins perform tricks and my 4 year old loved it. We also stopped at a local beach, you can talk with the boat driver to arrange this and we went snorkeling. This was a first for me and since I am afraid of putting my face in water I had a difficult time getting use to the idea but the locals were calm and let me go at my pace. They usually do this in groups, and remember these are local people who do this daily so they are not going to go too far out, or go too deep but they are capable of handling a group of 8 or so without difficulty. Overall, we will be going back because the people were friendly, the week was relaxed and although I sure wished I had brought snack foods, which I recommend, our family enjoyed ourselves. There are more american style hotel rooms but since I enjoy my husbands laid back nature and wanted to be away from the majority of the people we used the bungalows. I recommend them. Also, if you get a chance try to check out the lizard lake.. it has some iguana's. We even made a game to see how many we all could find.

Room Tip: If you like quiet go for the bungalow's
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Phaze86

Reviewed 5 October 2011

We spent 4 days at the Irotama del Sol. The room was modern, the AC worked great, bed was comfortable, internet worked 5 minutes per day tops. Beach is 1 kilometer and beautiful, A few vendors approach ever hour but were not obtrusive. The staff was very friendly it helped that my wife is from Colombia. The food was OK plenty of fresh fruits, breads, juices, only 2 restaurants were open at a time limiting your choices. Overall a well kept up property with local birds and a few iguanas in a tropical setting with lots of vegetation. The problem came when we checked out and there were numerous charges for things we thought were included. After an hour or so we got things straightened out but still had to pay something. If you decide to stay here make SURE you know exactly what is covered in the all inclusive and what is not. The resort is located a distance from the city and you need to take transportation to get anywhere.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Thundarr357
Reviewed 13 August 2011

The bungalows have tiny rooms and tiny bathrooms, more like a two star place. The food is really good, especially the breakfast buffet. The vegetation is great and it is good to be close to the beach. However the place is really overpriced. Make sure you check your bill: you will be charged a steep price for toiletries, almost as much as a meal for a disposable toothbrush. The staff are very friendly and competent.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mario F
Reviewed 26 May 2011

This very large beach resort is spectacularly located, right on the carribean. The all-inclusive package worked great with our kids--we were really well-fed and the food is fresh and spectacular. The service was also excellent. Plenty of activities on the beach and water, but not overly done. And the pool is beautiful, with a waterfall and waterslide (tastefully done, not gaudy). Completely relaxing trip. Our day basically was wake-breakfast-pool-nap-lunch-nap-ocean/beach-drinks-dinner-sleep. Perfect.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank nicomaus
Reviewed 20 May 2011

Nice hotel, great location but I couldn't believe they schedule beach parties in front of room! ? ! Check first if they are having some kind of event that is going to interrupt your sleep.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple