See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 February 2016 via mobile

I was not impressed with the place. Pool was very dirty, and on our room's bathroom the sink has a sign saying the water wasn't clean (No potable)Well I thought ok I just won't drink it.. Well I didn't know that just by brushing your teeth you can become sick. I came back home feeling sick and found out I have a parasite! Last day there my husband and 2 year old was also sick. Dirty unsanitary place. With all that said I don't even need to mention the rest. Stay away!!

Stayed: January 2016
1  Thank AngelicaKT
Reviewed 6 February 2016 via mobile

I went with my friend and we had a great time! We loved the food and we meet two cool guys from the hotel that helped us a lot. They were working in all activities in the beach. There is a different show every night and they are awesome. The food is really good. The pool is quite small but I loved it

Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 January 2016

We were looking for an adventurous two weeks in Colombia and certainly got it. We used our week at the Decameron Galeon as a relaxing rest from the week before that we spent trekking though the jungle to the Lost City, which was amazing by itself and as the real highlight of our trip. I have to stress though that you should not visit this resort without a fluent knowledge of Spanish. We were the only guests not from S. America. I was able to get by with my simple words and phrases and the staff was as accommodating as they could be but it was often a struggle just to communicate. That being said, the room was a spacious hotel style unit that served us well. The resort is quite a ways from the nearest town but cheap taxis are always available outside and day tour excursions are well run. The pool and surrounding grounds are exquisite as we spent much of our time there. A big negative though is that the private beach is nothing to brag about. It is in the direct path of major shipping lines (there is a large charcoal refinery nearby) and the water is very dirty. Don't expect any picturesque sunset views without tanker ships close offshore. The staff is very engaging and overall it is more geared toward families with children than young couples. The drinks and food that is included with the all inclusive fee are pretty bad. Breakfast buffet is ok but the restaurant style meals that you have to get up early in the morning to make reservations for is nothing to write home about. This branded resort chain is well renowned in Colombian circles but for the typical Caribbean resorts we are used to, it doesn't measure up. However, we have never met a more friendly and genuine population than the wonderful people of Northern Colombia and our total stay was completely safe and enjoyable. All the magnificent adventure tourism sites nearby make Santa Marta a must visit destination, rich in colonial architecture and full of people fully shrugging off decades of cartel oppression.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2015

Well day 1 at the Decameron, very little is explained at the front desk about instructions of what to do, probably because it is so busy, employ more staff and have more than 2 people checking in the guests, long queues in 30 plus degrees is rather annoying and not pleasant, explain where to go for lunch and that there is more than just one place. You pay a lot of money for the Hotel, and to go to the restaurant which is jam packed , and then be told you have to share tables with people you have never met before, when all you want to do is have your privacy is not high class hotel style, its a holiday camp for kids.. There are not enough bell boys, and to have to wait 30 minutes on one in 30 degree plus heat to get your bags to the rooms is also a result of not enough staff and too many guests. When you pay for a hotel which boasts wifi , you actually expect it to work, which it does not, as they are quite well aware, also the signal for connection of phones is poor. The Rancho Steak House a restaurant within the complex would be the worst run I have been in in many years of travelling. We were first to enter the restaurant, first to order, but then watched 8 people beside the kitchen get served, and after the two nearest us got their meal, and we had been waiting 30 minutes, Steak and my wifes chicken are not a 30 minute cook job, I complained where was our meal, within 1 minute it turned up, LUKEWARM, it had been sitting getting cold in the kitchen, no apology was received , would have at least made up for the mistake. So we went to the beach, beautiful private beach, a real highlight, swam most of the day, by now we had the run of how things worked and where to go for breakfast lunch and supper, and so we go up to the room for a nice refreshing shower to have a few drinks before supper. No water. Call the front desk. One of the pipes have burst, give us 15 minutes and it will be fixed. 1 and a half hours later, and all the kids screaming Agua agua agua, And this is supposed to be a high class hotel resort. Not a great start huh. Thankfully we were introduced to the Italian Restaurant, the staff were magnificent there and were very couteous and very helpful. A word to the staff and management, you run a huge resort and to have a rule that men must dress for supper and should wear TShirt not a singlet or sleeveless shirt is sexist to say the least, I saw women allowed to enter the restaurant wearing the same over a bikini top , and 100 % of the women were wearing sleeveless tops or singlets. Not a good practice to insist men have to dress differently, change it, or you might receive more than 1 complaint Next day we went on an excursion which was from 1:00pm till 5:15 pm , on arrival back we realized there were no available snacks, past the time, and we were booked for 8.30 meal for supper. We asked several staff if there was anywhere we could get something to eat within the complex, they all told us no. Knowing what is in your resort complex should be elementary, and the fact that your souvenir shop, which we found out the very next day sold crisps, chocolate bars and ice creams to name a few, had food and we had to wait for 3 hours tilll supper really is unacceptable. I totally would not recommend this place if you want to go as a couple, the place was full of kids, not that it is a problem, but it certainly does not allow for much privacy, and the ones there were under little to no supervision, banging on doors of people at 4:00 am in the morning, considering they were under age minors what the helll were they up partying at that time. Did not enjoy the stay and will not be going back to the Decameron.

Room Tip: Dont go to the Decameron
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2015

Fun place! My family wants to return! Had a nice beach, family entertainment, and pools. The restaurants were nice and the bars served good drinks. I love the all inclusive packages. It was definitely worth it. The only bad thing was it said the water was not potable, but they provided fresh drinking water in every room. Overall, a great experience!

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family