All reviews dive shop west side air conditioner was quiet south end of the island cold beer local life great snorkeling white sand beaches main town rooms are clean hot weather bed was comfortable small hotel rent a scooter lindsay diving downtown
Reviewed 30 April 2018

I stayed here for.. I think 2 nights. I came with a friend. The room is very simple, quite tidy. My friend's bed was a twin size. Mine was a queen. The pool was a bit dirty with dead insects. The restroom very humble looking kind of dusty in the corners. I didn't have much trouble with the shower but the water does run cold at times, but due to the hot and humidity weather I didn't mind that a lot. Sunset is quite far from the main town, a taxi drive from the airport went around 40000 pesos. A bus ride is much cheaper but kind of slow. If you request for a taxi service with Sunset make sure you're going to take it bc Sunset will still charge you the amount. My friend requested a taxi for the following morning but we ended taking the bus instead. When we came back the front clerk lady told us we had to pay the full amount the taxi charged bc we made him come for nothing. What I did absolutely hate was the WIFI service. There is really NO WIFI. It only lasts a few minutes and after that it's gone. I walked every corner and no WIFI. Finally 3-stars bc the staff was nice, a little below average for the price but hey we had a roof under our heads in a foreign place.

Date of stay: February 2018
Lindsay M, Gerente at Sunset Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2018

Dear Claudia M,
Thanks a lot for taking time to write a review regarding your experience at Sunset. Great to read that you liked our staff.
For hot water, we have installed solar water heaters—an environmentally friendly and very effective solution for the island. We suggest mixing the cold and hot water to obtain the desired water temperature.
Regarding the taxi transfer, if you request the service then you need to pay for it as the taxi driver expects to be paid for their service.
We agree with you on the low Internet connectivity in San Andres but currently there is no service provider that offers a reliable and efficient Internet service.
We will continue with our daily efforts to enhance our product and processes and look forward for another opportunity to provide you with outstanding service.

Reviewed 8 January 2018

This is a small hotel well away from the crowded north end of the island. It has such a small town atmosphere that we quickly became familiar with most of the other travelers staying there. The bed was comfortable and the air conditioner was quiet and efficient. There was plenty of hot water in the shower and the rooms were kept fairly clean. It is not a “loud” hotel but sound does carry easily from room to room. There are no local options for dinner other than the hotel restaurant (which was fine for breakfast but only ok for dinner). However, the buses are easy to use and provided a window into local life (just be sure to leave town by 8pm as they stop running and you would then have to take a taxi back). While you could snorkel right across the road, it was much too rough while we were there. The pool was nice though it is often used in the mornings for dive training. Iguanas also occasionally came down and used the lounge chairs beside the pool – it was all very friendly.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank CallustheJameses
Lindsay M, Manager at Sunset Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2018

Dear CallustheJameses,

Thanks very much for the comprehensive review of our hotel. During your stay the sea was a little rough due to a cold front but this event rarely takes place so hopefully the weather will be nicer for your next visit.
As you mention, our hotel is a great choice for guests looking for a warm, friendly hotel with a ¨small town atmosphere.¨
We wish you the best for 2018.

Reviewed 26 October 2017 via mobile

I came to San Andrés to relax and recharge my batteries. The Sunset Hotel was perfectly suited for my purposes. It’s located on the opposite end of the island from El Centro (downtown) There’s world class snorkeling and diving literally right in front of the hotel. Lindsay and Marlene and the staff couldn’t be more accommodating. I asked Lindsay if he could help me rent a scooter and one was delivered to the hotel within fifteen minutes. Breakfast is included in the rate and there is an excellent restaurant available throughout the day. If you’re looking for nonstop action, stay downtown. If you’re looking for a peaceful, family environment in a beautiful place, the Sunset Hotel is the ticket.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Lindsay M, Gerente at Sunset Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2017

Dear DonJuanitodeFairfax,
We greatly appreciate your comments and are happy to know you were able ¨to relax and recharge my batteries¨ at the Sunset.
Your words: ¨If you’re looking for a peaceful, family environment in a beautiful place, the Sunset Hotel is the ticket.¨ sums it all up.
Thanks again and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

Very nice stuff. Good food. Lovely calm place. Love the swimmingpool in this hot weather. Clean rooms. Everyday the clean the rooms. Rooms are light with airconditioning. Close to the sea. Nice sunset. Good for snorkelling.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Lindsay M, Manager at Sunset Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2017

Dear Marlieke W,

We would like to thank you for writing your comments regarding your experience at our hotel. We are elated to read that you enjoyed our sunsets, swimming pool, rooms and the beautiful sea in front of the hotel.
We are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 20 May 2017 via mobile

The first day, I could not take shower because water too hot and could not adjust it. I consulted with the hotel about it and in the next day, on the contrary, I only had cold water. There is wifi service, but connection is very unstable.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Lindsay M, Gerente at Sunset Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2017

Dear Takuya M,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations.

About the showers, we use environmentally friendly solar water heaters and we advise our guests to mix the cold and hot water to obtain the desired temperature.

Regarding the WIFI, unfortunately in the island we suffer from slow Internet connectivity.

If you come back to Sunset we would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly so we can offer you a more enjoyable experience.